Options

Putting Windows 7 on to a Windows 8 laptop

2»

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    People hate change and can't get their heads around it. Some just think it's the 'in' thing to knock something. Some can't be ar$ed to try and use whatever is new so just take the easy route.
    With W8, there is probably an age group that are the mainstay of the haters society.
    I have no problem with anyone using Classic Shell etc, but, I don't think it should be an automatic choice or suggestion for someone new to W8. I see a lot of people just repeating what they have read somewhere else, without really having tried it for themselves.
    It's not perfect, then again it's not as bad as some would have others believe....

Looking forward to next months 8.1 and the changes that will bring.....Plenty will have something to say about them, but, going by W8 few will try them...;):)

What age group would you say the I Hate Windows 8 support group is? :p
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Thats old, I remember those, it was a Kworld dvb-t 100 under the hood. Should work with the kworld dvb-t plus software.
    I thought that they came with Arcsoft theatre software which would run ok on W8.
    Suppose you have tried it with other pvr software like media portal and next pvr
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

I tried Arcsoft Theatre but it won't work even in the compatibility mode I'll give the Kworld software a try when I get the chance
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Why? Why did you buy a machine with w8?
    W8 is a better os. I use start8, boots up into the desktop and works the same as if it were w7. What's the problem?

Difficult to get a machine that don't have Windows 8 on now, I presume the licence is cheaper for windows 8 than Windows 7 to make sure that manufactures install it.

I think Manufactures should give people a choice, 7 or 8.

W8 is a better OS then 7? maybe, but the fact that a third party application is required to make it usable is not the best idea , even Lenovo is installing a start menu on their win 8 machines as standard, but I do think that is more to do money passing between Lenovo and sweet labs if enough people use their app store. even so that is not a good thing for windows 8 and how long will it be before other computer producers do the same thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People hate change and can't get their heads around it. Some just think it's the 'in' thing to knock something. Some can't be ar$ed to try and use whatever is new so just take the easy route.
    With W8, there is probably an age group that are the mainstay of the haters society.
    I have no problem with anyone using Classic Shell etc, but, I don't think it should be an automatic choice or suggestion for someone new to W8. I see a lot of people just repeating what they have read somewhere else, without really having tried it for themselves.
    It's not perfect, then again it's not as bad as some would have others believe....

Looking forward to next months 8.1 and the changes that will bring.....Plenty will have something to say about them, but, going by W8 few will try them...;):)

windows 8.1 will do very little to be honest, all it will do is make some changes to the modern Ui, which a lot of people don't seem to like, but it will not improve it. Sticking a a start button on is not going to do a thing.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best thing for now is to install the well known third party stuff to remove the horrid metro stuff.

With Ballmer being canned over windows 8 and the likes of Lenovo putting in a start menu I have a feeling that a future version of windows will re-instate the start menu officially. I think they will have to in any case to get business users off windows 7 eventually as they won't go to 8.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Difficult to get a machine that don't have Windows 8 on now, I presume the licence is cheaper for windows 8 than Windows 7 to make sure that manufactures install it.
    Yes and no. If you just want a machine and aren't interested in any technical stuff, then yes I agree. On the other hand, it is quite easy to buy a machine with no os and put on the one you want if you like techy stuff.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    What age group would you say the I Hate Windows 8 support group is? :p

I'm not counting Mac freaks............:p
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not counting Mac freaks............:p

I have a Windows 7 partition on my Mac for games so in reality I'm an occasional Windows user. I mostly use OSX though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Yes and no. If you just want a machine and aren't interested in any technical stuff, then yes I agree. On the other hand, it is quite easy to buy a machine with no os and put on the one you want if you like techy stuff.

But then you pay more for it normally and I doubt very much if there are many high street stores got windows 7 machines.

I built my own desktop, I got windows 7 pro retail and windows 8 update, so I can choose which one to install, My laptop I have installed Mint Linux on it, but a lot of people would have no idea how to do that and would just be stuck with what comes ont he computer.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I doubt very much if there are many high street stores got windows 7
    I just checked Tesco Direct and they have some available but not a big selection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    I just checked Tesco Direct and they have some available but not a big selection.

Not really a high street store as such as you got to order the machine.

Try walking into PC world and getting a windows 7 machine.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Its an Aldi special under their brand name of Tevion
    Medion = good. Tevion = very, very bad.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Medion = good. Tevion = very, very bad.

:confused:
    I think I now get your strange thinking
    :eek:

In comparing dissimilar, Medion is the brand that does not always come with a 3 year warranty.