Sherlock - New BBC Drama (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Ah, thank you! I thought each letter represented a number of some sort. Maybe even Sherlock isn't *that* clever ;)
  • Tiger LilyTiger Lily Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Yay!! So glad I've discovered this thread I absolutely love Sherlock and cant wait for season 3. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Has it been mentioned that both Irene and Moriarty say "off you pop"? Might this be of relevance?
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to Benedict Cumberbatch for winning a best actor award at the US Critics Choice TV Awards, and also well done to Sherlock for winning best movie or mini series category.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    Mark Gattis and Steven Moffat reveal the three clues for next year at the EdTV Fest for Series 3: Rat, Wedding, and Bow. Filming to begin in January with August air date. So, let the speculation commence!
  • OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Adventure of The Sussex Vampire, A Case Of Identity and His Last Bow then?

So much for Cumberbatch proclaiming he'd like to do the series for the next ten years if his schedule permitted. I'm guessing he's getting too expensive and busy now he's cracked Hollywood with Star Trek and he's already moved on the Parade's End which BBC have an interest in as co-producers so it makes sense.
  • Veiled LodgerVeiled Lodger Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Rat could be the Giant Rat of Sumatra a story which Watson refers to but doesn't give any detail and wedding could be Sign of Four where Watson gets married. Bow could just be one of the stories from the book His Last Bow. I really hope this won't be the last series.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    People on here are such pessimists, at the same time as announcing these clues they said that since there are so many stories for them to work from they the show could run and run.

As for Cumberbatch being "too busy or expensive", the scheduling means the actors can do other projects between series meaning they're more likely to stay with the show longer. When they talk about wanting to do Sherlock for years I believe them because it's a steady job, but still allows them to do other things, they'll be idiots to quit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rat could be the Giant Rat of Sumatra a story which Watson refers to but doesn't give any detail and wedding could be Sign of Four where Watson gets married. Bow could just be one of the stories from the book His Last Bow. I really hope this won't be the last series.

Giant Rat Of Sumatra is mentioned in ... Sussex Vampire, I believe the actual story was not written by Conan Doyle but by *AMAZON BOOK CHECK* Allan Venneman. I believe Moffatt and Gattiss have said they plan to adapt the Conan Doyle stuff, not the various Sherlock tales not written by him. Could be I suppose but it might deviate from their previous intent.

I think Gattiss said he was a fan of Sign Of Four so you may be right there, I thought Case Of Identity due to the missing fiance...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on here are such pessimists, at the same time as announcing these clues they said that since there are so many stories for them to work from they the show could run and run.

As for Cumberbatch being "too busy or expensive", the scheduling means the actors can do other projects between series meaning they're more likely to stay with the show longer. When they talk about wanting to do Sherlock for years I believe them because it's a steady job, but still allows them to do other things, they'll be idiots to quit.

I don't know about idiots. Agents look after their clients interests and if between The Hobbit and Star Trek it's not like either Freeman or Cumberbatch's stars are in decline currently. As for steady work... well, they've already put off production because of Freeman and Cumberbatch's busy schedules until the end of this year, haven't they? Which is why the series isn't going to run from in December as it did before. So it's not like the signs aren't already there.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised they're not adapting The Adventures of the Empty House which is the return of Sherlock Holmes.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I don't know about idiots. Agents look after their clients interests and if between The Hobbit and Star Trek it's not like either Freeman or Cumberbatch's stars are in decline currently. As for steady work... well, they've already put off production because of Freeman and Cumberbatch's busy schedules until the end of this year, haven't they? Which is why the series isn't going to run from in December as it did before. So it's not like the signs aren't already there.

I don't think they pushed it back, there was around 18 months between Series 1 and 2 and there will be around 18 months Series 2 and 3.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I'm surprised they're not adapting The Adventures of the Empty House which is the return of Sherlock Holmes.

They are, Gatiss confirmed it as the first episode a while back.
  • AdamBruntAdamBrunt Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    They are, Gatiss confirmed it as the first episode a while back.

And how does that relate to "rat","wedding" or "bow" ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Adventure of The Sussex Vampire, A Case Of Identity and His Last Bow then?

So much for Cumberbatch proclaiming he'd like to do the series for the next ten years if his schedule permitted. I'm guessing he's getting too expensive and busy now he's cracked Hollywood with Star Trek and he's already moved on the Parade's End which BBC have an interest in as co-producers so it makes sense.

The success of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman may mean that the third season of Sherlock will be its last. The Daily Express quotes an insider on the show as saying that the growing stars of Cumberbatch and Freeman, who play Holmes and Watson respectively, means that their schedules will not permit more of the series. Cumberbatch is playing the villain in the upcoming Star Trek sequel and will play Smaug in The Hobbit, which stars Freeman in the role of Bilbo Baggins.

The source noted, "Benedict and Martin love Sherlock. It's been fabulous for both of them but it's a question of schedules. They will no doubt be signing off in style."

It is worth noting that Cumberbatch has previously said that he would not allow a busy schedule to affect his role in Sherlock, saying, "It's something I'm not going to give up on. I love it too much. It's hard work, but it's so rewarding and such a lovely bunch of people who do it. We love our fans and we love what it's created. It's an incredible thing to be part of and it doesn't happen that often. Don't worry, it's not going to disappear… We only do three episodes at a time, so I think the normal fear of over-stretching the mark and just doing too many doesn't apply."

The third season will begin filming early next year.

So, I appear to have been more or less accurate in my prediction. Sorry, guestofseth. Although we can always hope this will all be denied on Twitter.

Anyone want next week's lottery numbers? :D
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    That article is pure speculation.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes...some hack has dredged something up because Benedict Cumberbatch is currently in ; Parade's End'. When they've got no facts, they just make it up. :) Nice to see the article posted though because it shows what the press is up to !
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely filming on The Hobbit has finished? Maybe Star Trek, also?

In which case the article is irrelevant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is assuming they get no further or greater opportunities and discounts the reality of the press tours they will need to do.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Hobbit is now a trilogy, Peter Jackson said they're planning more filming dates for next year.

How much they have to do and how much may include Freeman and of course when that will be, who knows.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point was that filming starts on Sherlock next year. Any work necessary for the two films mentioned in the article will have beeen scheduled in.

Future episodes of Sherlock will not be filmed until at least 2013, and would be unaffected by The Hobbit and Star Trek.

Therefore the article is irrelevant to any future series.

Of course, either or both actors may prefer not to continue with Sherlock for any number of reasons. We will have to wait and see.
  • StockingfillerStockingfiller Posts: 3,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benedict Cumberbatch will be doing the film ' Twelve Years A Slave' with Brad Pitt and others of course plus it looks as if he'll also be in ' August: Osage County' with Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts but that needn't prevent him from filming some more as Sherlock.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benedict Cumberbatch will be doing the film ' Twelve Years A Slave' with Brad Pitt and others of course plus it looks as if he'll also be in ' August: Osage County' with Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts but that needn't prevent him from filming some more as Sherlock.

From what I have read in last couple of weeks BC has completed his film commitments. He said on the One Show a couple of weeks ago he'd finished the Steve Mqueen 12 Years... when the Olympics were on and therefore missed a lot of London2012.
    I've also read filming on Sherlock should start January 2013 as long as the scripts are ready. If that all goes to plan broadcast should be "autumn 2013".
    Hope so. I have worn out my DVDs of the first 6 episodes!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cumberbatch assured Sherlock fans that there's no reason the show "can't continue until we get too old".

Asked if he could ever get too big for Sherlock, Cumberbatch replied "I don't think that's a possibility because I love it too much. Making [Sherlock] is all about availability. Martin Freeman has the same kind of pressures on him now. It's a thing of quality not quantity that show - thank God. We started young with it. We started when they meet and we still are young for those roles. There's no reason why it can't continue until we get too old."

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherlock/23879/benedict-cumberbatch-on-the-future-of-sherlock

No filming in sight yet, but this from Benedict is positive news I think:)
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news! Filming of Series 3 is due to begin this March and should be airing on our TVs in the autumn (2013), so says Steven Moffat:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-01-30/sherlock---steven-moffat-we-hope-we-can-hang-on-to-benedict-cumberbatch-and-martin-freeman

Excellent :D
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good news.:D
This discussion has been closed.