Options

burn files to external dvd drive on windows 8

craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Trying to burn some files to an external dvd drive on my windows 8 pc but cant seem to do it. I have clicked on the drive and pasted the files there but I dont know how to actually burn the files onto the disk.
This is driving me insane so any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »
    Trying to burn some files to an external dvd drive on my windows 8 pc but cant seem to do it. I have clicked on the drive and pasted the files there but I dont know how to actually burn the files onto the disk.
    This is driving me insane so any help would be appreciated :)

This may be a stupid question, but the external drive is actually a DVD burner?
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite simple. Select files/folder > Right Click > Send To >

You should have the Drive and (drive letter) listed in that Right Click Menu in the same way as say a USB Key drive.

You do of course have to have a USB DVD/CD Writer and a Writable DVD/CD in the drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok there is a writeable dvd in drive E. The file I want to burn is sat there under the heading 'files ready to be written to disc' but there is no option to burn this?!?! Maybe I cant see the woods for the trees but its a real headscratcher!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    Quite simple. Select files/folder > Right Click > Send To >

You should have the Drive and (drive letter) listed in that Right Click Menu in the same way as say a USB Key drive.

You do of course have to have a USB DVD/CD Writer and a Writable DVD/CD in the drive.

All that does is place it into the 'files ready to be written to disc' section
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question, but the external drive is actually a DVD burner?

Yes it is lol
  • Options
    Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to get peeps do something for themselves rather than being told every little detail. Perhaps that's not right, but here's the rest....

Select 'With a CD/DVD player' (the second option)(mastered) > Next >
    On this screen it says files ready to be written to the Disc.
    Right Click drive > Select Burn to Disc > Finish.

Windows as always somewhat obscure way of doing things, which is why most peeps will install other Burning software.
    Some free alternatives are CDBurnerXP, Ashampoo, InfraRecorder, ImgBurn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helmut10 wrote: »
    I was trying to get peeps do something for themselves rather than being told every little detail. Perhaps that's not right, but here's the rest....

Select 'With a CD/DVD player' (the second option)(mastered) > Next >
    On this screen it says files ready to be written to the Disc.
    Right Click drive > Select Burn to Disc > Finish.

Windows as always somewhat obscure way of doing things, which is why most peeps will install other Burning software.
    Some free alternatives are CDBurnerXP, Ashampoo, InfraRecorder, ImgBurn.

Cheers :)