Plasma issues

I have a 4 year old LG plasma and have recently started to see issues with the screen.

I am getting a considerable amount of burn on the screen which I know can be caused by leaving an image there for a number of minutes but this is now a short time before a burn appears.

For example, on sky sports the stats appear in the bottom left for a few seconds during a match and this stays burnt for 4/5 minutes after showing.

The captions promoting a future programme also burn for a long time. I have noticed this all happening on adverts too.

This clearly never used to happen so I'm seeking advice as to whether its a unit fault.

Thanks.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Screen burn is a permanent effect - your temporary effect is a fault on the TV, and quite possibly a faulty screen (most faults are the screens).
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah ok, sorry about the wording.

Is it something that can be easily remedied, there is no extended warranty on the unit, I'm guessing its going to be expensive!
    Forum Member
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Ah ok, sorry about the wording.

Is it something that can be easily remedied, there is no extended warranty on the unit, I'm guessing its going to be expensive!

Probably more than a new TV, particularly as they seem to all but 'give' Plasma sets away these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought that might be the answer!

Better start looking then, decisions, LCD,LED or Plasma?
    Forum Member
    Thought that might be the answer!

Better start looking then, decisions, LCD,LED or Plasma?

LCD and LED are the same thing, LED IS LCD, CCFL backlit LCD is pretty rare now.

It's really down to personal choice, Plasma tends to be better on SD viewing, and LCD better on HD - and Plasma is probably cheaper for a decent quality set like a Panasonic (there are VERY few choices for Plasma).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really showing my lack of knowledge now Nigel!!

Too many different models and formats to choose from. It's confusing and I HATE going to places like Currys where you get bombarded by school children thinking they know everything.
    Forum Member
    Really showing my lack of knowledge now Nigel!!

Too many different models and formats to choose from. It's confusing and I HATE going to places like Currys where you get bombarded by school children thinking they know everything.

The two best makes are Sony and Panasonic, so either of those for an LCD, or just Panasonic for a Plasma (Panasonic, LG and Samsung are the only remaining Plasma manufacturers).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers for that.

Having read that some TV sets have issues with the virgin tivo hdmi handshake I better choose wisely.

Never had any issues with LG but can't use that as my only reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    We also had awful problems, suddenly yesterday with our Daewoo plasma.

We suddenly got blue 'biots' ( best ay I can describe them, like ink blots) appeared on the screen. The programme we were watching had subtitles (as a Spanish person as speaking) and these stayed on screen.

We turned the set off and on again and now it won't even come on.

Do I take it it is dead? New set required?
  • meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plasma tends to be better on SD viewing, and LCD better on HD - and Plasma is probably cheaper for a decent quality set like a Panasonic (there are VERY few choices for Plasma).

In the interests of fairness, I don't agree with that.:)

You can actually get very cheap Panasonic plasmas for around £300. The good ones are expensive, but fall in price dramatically in the post Christmas period.

The summer is the worst time to buy a TV as that's when the new models demand a premium price. I assume the same is true for the latest LCDs.
    Forum Member
    meltcity wrote: »
    You can actually get very cheap Panasonic plasmas for around £300.

Perhaps you should try reading the part you quoted again? :D
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Panasonic ST50 is a good buy at the moment. You also get free calibration at TPS.

Also, Plasma is equally as good if not better than LCD for HD. What Nigel said is a bit out of date.

Plasma has the same number of pixels as LCD and therefore isn't any less detailed. Also motion resolution is much higher on Plasma meaning detail is preserved during motion compared to LCD. Only top LCDs can match plasma motion resolution.

The better black level, viewing angle and colour accuracy all add to a better HD picture.

Why LCD sometimes might look better for HD is down to the cleaner look of the screen and most of the time they are set too sharp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just an update, screen now getting a bit worse everyday and occurring on different broadcasts.

As a result, have been looking at the following models to replace:
    LG
    LG55LM760T

Samsung
    UE46ES7000
    UE46ES8000

If anybody has any thoughts then please comment.

Thanks
  • poppasmurfpoppasmurf Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought an LG 50PM680T Smart 3D Plasma from Curry's - £599 - about three weeks ago, which replaced a 2006 LG 42" Plasma.

I'm highly delighted with it. And the old set is now gracing my son's living room.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Just an update, screen now getting a bit worse everyday and occurring on different broadcasts.

As a result, have been looking at the following models to replace:
    LG
    LG55LM760T

Samsung
    UE46ES7000
    UE46ES8000

If anybody has any thoughts then please comment.

Thanks

I would go with one of the samsungs over th LG. tends to get better reviews both user and expert.

However you can also get som very good deals on the Panasonic ST50 and GT50 plasmas that offer much getter and near reference levels of picture. .. If you have had and still want o go with plasma.

In all cases you will see an improvement over te current TV