Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Anyone else love "Love Profusion"? Very underated, can't believe it just missed the Top 10 in the UK :(

I love it too! I guess it got hurt by all the negativity that was around American Life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha like i keep saying really i mean i loved it again when we had a really hot day on Wednesday and i blared it out...but personally for me i love an album with a direct journey or concept etc. Whereas True Blue is more like a collection of songs with not an entire mass of diversity necessarily (never a bad thing) but it boasts 4 of her best ever singles and another two corkers too.

But like we always say Madonna has something fore everyone. I regard Erotica as one of the finest albums ever made, some fans think otherwise etc.

For me True Blue as an album doesnt do "it" for me the way some other fans love it...but at the same point i aint speaking bad about it either...it is an iconic album.

Yes, I'm not too big on True Blue either. But then I really didn't become a big fan until LAP. So I've never paid that much attention to her earlier albums. I think it's like a lot of 80's albums in that the singles are great, but the rest of the song are kind of filler. Back in the 80's, artists released albums more frequently and so the emphasis was more on having a couple of great singles and they didn't care so much about the other tracks being fantastic. Whereas now, I think a lot of artists try to make more complete albums because they may not do another one for a couple of years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm not too big on True Blue either. But then I really didn't become a big fan until LAP. So I've never paid that much attention to her earlier albums. I think it's like a lot of 80's albums in that the singles are great, but the rest of the song are kind of filler. Back in the 80's, artists released albums more frequently and so the emphasis was more on having a couple of great singles and they didn't care so much about the other tracks being fantastic. Whereas now, I think a lot of artists try to make more complete albums because they may not do another one for a couple of years.

That is very interesting you say that really. I think the likes of Rihanna an Katy Perry these days are bringing back that trend of sorts really...either releasing albums or singles more frequently than the norm.

Also having said that i really think her first three albums were focused on showing off the singles. BUT at the same point i feel The First Album (bar I Know It) and Like A Virgin really do have a flow and no real "filler" IMO of course. Whereas true Blue has Jimmy Jimmy, Love Makes The World go Round and the title song (for me i very much dislike)

whereas from Like A Prayer onwards I LOVE that she has focused concepts across her work....just gutted she tended to go back on trend a bit for Bedtime Stories where the focus again was on a select few songs really rather than an entire album piece...though great...it wasnt massive stuff really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it too! I guess it got hurt by all the negativity that was around American Life.

And Love Profusion had minimal airplay.promo and not a very "interesting" video really. So actually with all that it did quite well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is very interesting you say that really. I think the likes of Rihanna an Katy Perry these days are bringing back that trend of sorts really...either releasing albums or singles more frequently than the norm.

That's very true but that's because even though I like their music, Rihanna and Katy Perry aren't very good live so they don't tour so much but put the emphasis having hit after hit. I love Katy's records, but her live voice is the absolute worst!
    Back in the 80's there wasn't downloading, so artists could make tons of money from releasing records so they didn't do super long tours. Now especially older artists like Madonna want to do extensive tours so they take longer between albums.
    Madonna's longevity has a lot to do with the fact that she's an amazing live performer. I think it's a problem that a lot of the younger artists of today aren't good performers but just have hits. No one is going to want to see them live 20 years from now. It's interesting that most of the highest grossing tour artists are older artists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very true but that's because even though I like their music, Rihanna and Katy Perry aren't very good live so they don't tour so much but put the emphasis having hit after hit. I love Katy's records, but her live voice is the absolute worst!
    Back in the 80's there wasn't downloading, so artists could make tons of money from releasing records so they didn't do super long tours. Now especially older artists like Madonna want to do extensive tours so they take longer between albums.
    Madonna's longevity has a lot to do with the fact that she's an amazing live performer. I think it's a problem that a lot of the younger artists of today aren't good performers but just have hits. No one is going to want to see them live 20 years from now. It's interesting that most of the highest grossing tour artists are older artists.

That is true i mean i love RIhanna loads but i would never see one of her shows ever. Same with the entire current crop of todays Popstarlets really.

And I can watch Madonnas earlier performances an be in awe at how much she progressed as a performer basically from 1983 - 85! Let alone the future beyond that you know? Madonna is so phenomenal at multi-tasking everything really.Cannot wait to see the crazy stuff she is gonna do for this tour :cool:
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Mm, kay!

I guess it's down to my age then, maybe I'm just nostalgic for classic Madonna!

But on the other hand, I did walk past a girl today who was wearing this t shirt:):cool:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/i_31/hm_t-shirt_500.jpg

I pointed out that I LOVED her shirt and that it was my FAVE Madonna album and she said 'me too', we had a little chat and I asked how old she was, can you guess how old she was?

Well, I'll tell you, she was SIXTEEN!

Yay! True Blue ROCKS!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mm, kay!

I guess it's down to my age then, maybe I'm just nostalgic for classic Madonna!

But on the other hand, I did walk past a girl today who was wearing this t shirt:):cool:

http://www.madonnatribe.com/i_31/hm_t-shirt_500.jpg

I pointed out that I LOVED her shirt and that it was my FAVE Madonna album and she said 'me too', we had a little chat and I asked how old she was, can you guess how old she was?

Well, I'll tell you, she was SIXTEEN!

See...and i will argue COnfessions was the single best album of the last decade :cool:

It doesnt really matter...its not "down toave" or whatever....people just have different music tastes and Madonna caters to them all :cool: that is all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna's manager just announced that Madonna is doing another twitter chat on April 4 at 10p.m EST. The last one was fabulous! But the time is a little bad for us UK people. But I guess that's when she's free from doing her rehearsals.
    Forum Member
    See...and i will argue COnfessions was the single best album of the last decade :cool:

It doesnt really matter...its not "down toave" or whatever....people just have different music tastes and Madonna caters to them all :cool: that is all.

And I would argue that that accolade belongs to Mark Ronson's Version album and that Confessions is a cliched pile of steaming horse manure ( I do like Forbidden Love and Jump though). And that I prefer Hard Candy and especially MDNA.

But....

We can't have it all ways can we?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah but its still better than Rihannas and her overall catalogue is superior to RiRi's bitch don't even write her damn songs :D i jest Jp but i recently learnt i love KP a damn sight more :p

And that is true Jp i would say only the california dreams tour, loud and gaga's tours have had any real impact but not in the league of what people in the 80's were doing now it seems churnng out song after song album after album until they hit the floor is the way to go so we don't even have the time to assess or gauge if they are any good and albums era's and songs fall by the way side.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think though that Lady Gaga is an exception to what I was saying about younger artists not being good performers. Gaga has a good voice, plays the piano, and puts a lot of effort into her shows. If Gaga keeps it together and doesn't destruct, I can see her still being someone people would like to see perform years from now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I would argue that that accolade belongs to Mark Ronson's Version album and that Confessions is a cliched pile of steaming horse manure ( I do like Forbidden Love and Jump though). And that I prefer Hard Candy and especially MDNA.

But....

We can't have it all ways can we?

Thats the point though isnt it. We can love different eras as they cater to different tastes and objectives....it doesnt really matter.

We all have different tastes....but at least my fave doesnt have covers ;) hehe just kiddin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna's manager just announced that Madonna is doing another twitter chat on April 4 at 10p.m EST. The last one was fabulous! But the time is a little bad for us UK people. But I guess that's when she's free from doing her rehearsals.

Just read it myself too! Very exciting. I loved her last Twitter chat too and it was very successful.

Very great way of chatting to her fans too really without being addicted to it like the current crop of popstars or whatever....but the best thing is everyone is really into it too :)
    Forum Member
    Thats the point though isnt it. We can love different eras as they cater to different tastes and objectives....it doesnt really matter.

We all have different tastes....but at least my fave doesnt have covers ;) hehe just kiddin.

What cover? On True Blue?

Or do you mean Mark Ronson? (who was incidentally the first non singing artist to win a brit award for Best british Male Artist). Version is COOL!!:cool::cool:

And my fave Madonna album has 3 uk number one singles on it, yours only has 2!

No, seriously, LOL!:D:D
    Forum Member
    I seriously would love to interview Piers Morgan, what is his problem with Madonna?

LOL@ him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    check out The Jacksons being starstruck on their Vision tour backstage :cool:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/557136_419106314770868_111878712160298_1811637_1904863051_n.jpg

1984 and The Queen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seriously would love to interview Piers Morgan, what is his problem with Madonna?

LOL@ him!

She probably refused to do his show hence huge ego dent as he thinks he is truly the last word in presenting rather than the sniveling fool he is :p

Sorry retro fan with JP on this Tb is one of her weakest albums and my fave has but one number 1 single yet still surpasses it so very much and thats like a prayer :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    She probably refused to do his show hence huge ego dent as he thinks he is truly the last word in presenting rather than the sniveling fool he is :p

Sorry retro fan with JP on this Tb is one of her weakest albums and my fave has but one number 1 single yet still surpasses it so very much and thats like a prayer :D

Same....in fact i am in a renewed ranking mood ;)

1 - Like A Prayer
    2 - Erotica
    3 - Confessions On A Dance Floor
    4 - Like A VIrgin
    5 - Ray Of Light
    6 - Madonna - The First Album
    7 - MDNA (after a full week!)
    8 - Music
    9 - Hard Candy
    10 - True Blue
    11 - American Life
    12 - Im Breathless
    13 - Bedtime Stories

There is my week update with MDNA now :D

And i dedicate this to Piers

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/552138_279068748837160_100002021126772_638173_702877501_n.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As we are reviewing:

Like a Prayer
    Like a Virgin
    Confessions On A Dancefloor
    Music
    Ray of light
    Madonna
    Erotica
    American Life
    MDNA
    Hard Candy
    True Blue
    Bedtime Stories

Jury is still out on IB is it an album or a soundtrack

And haha hes such a prick it defies logic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    As we are reviewing:

Like a Prayer
    Like a Virgin
    Confessions On A Dancefloor
    Music
    Ray of light
    Madonna
    Erotica
    American Life
    MDNA
    Hard Candy
    True Blue
    Bedtime Stories

Jury is still out on IB is it an album or a soundtrack

And haha hes such a prick it defies logic

Interesting that great minds think alike as we have the same rankings for em :eek:...still like Bedtime Stories though :D

and i count IB as an album i mean it has Vogue! While ill neer forgive it for cashing in on Like A Prayer album and the Blonde Ambition tour...it is a solid album in its own right too.

And very much true!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i had to rank the MDNA songs (in some sort of order)

Love Spent
    gang bang
    im a sinner
    i dont give a...
    some girls
    im addicted
    falling free
    turn up the radio
    masterpiece
    girl gone wild
    beautiful killer
    b-day song
    superstar
    best friend
    i f-d up
    give me all your luvin
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I've done the facebook poll regarding the LAP song to be featured on the tour, I've gone with Keep It Together :cool:

Mr Pinder I see you went with Till Death, fair dos to that, I love the whole album so I'm not fussed really as to which songs are used as long as it's a bit different :)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really surprised that you guys are ranking MDNA so low down. Disappointing really. I thought you all liked it! Josh, you were saying on another thread that MDNA is so good that people who didn't like it weren't "listening." Yet you have it all the way down at number 7. Sorry mate, but I fail to see why you bother getting excited about it if you continue to rank Erotica above it.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    MDNA is in my top 5 Madonna album's at the moment, it will never overtake Like a Prayer (my favourite) but the more I listen and indeed over the summer I'll love it even more
This discussion has been closed.