What's so special about Michael Buble?

cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
Forum Member
I was channel surfing earlier and saw his ITV2 Christmas special. I watched a few minutes of it and thought he wasn't that good a singer really. What is all the fuss about him though? I don't think he's anything special really.

Comments

• MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Ditto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I can take or leave him, but he seems to be on everything at the moment.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    He's completely overrated.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People find him incredibly charming, Including me,...but If I heard him singing one more Christmas song he'd be in danger! :p;)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cant stand his music. But if others like him, fair enough. People will always like dislike/like music thats others have completly the opposite reation to. I dont know why people seem so surprised and puzzled at this.
    Forum Member
    People find him incredibly charming, Including me,...but If I heard him singing one more Christmas song he'd be in danger! :p;)

Yeah I heard him singing a Christmas song (might have been Jingle Bells, I don't remember) and it sounded completely out of tune :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nawt.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He popped up on the X Factor a few years ago and they made out he was the biggest thing in music, never heard of him before then. Is he even popular in America?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a similar thread to this only a few weeks back?

Personally I find him completely vanilla, but my girlfriend loves him and won't have a word said against him.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's just something about him I love.... And I'm a straight guy:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jazz for people that don't like jazz.
    An example, one of my workmates loves Buble. I started talking about Miles Davis and she had no idea who he was.
    Forum Member
    JSB1980 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a similar thread to this only a few weeks back?

I think there was. I probably should have looked :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nothing
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do genuinely believe he is a great singer. He could have competed with the likes of Sinatra and Tony Bennet if he was born three quarters of a century ago.

He was born in the wrong era, as they will just take the pis.s out of a singer like him these days.
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buble reminds me more of Jack Jones and Andy Williams. He has a pleasant voice but it's very thin. His singing has no real emotional depth. He comes across as being way too much enchanted with himself and this puts me off him. I find listening to his Christmas album is enjoyable - I liked it when it was playing over the loudspeakers in Tescos. But there are other contemporary singers who handle the American songbook much much better - Tom Gaebel for one.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    I do genuinely believe he is a great singer. He could have competed with the likes of Sinatra and Tony Bennet if he was born three quarters of a century ago.

He was born in the wrong era, as they will just take the pis.s out of a singer like him these days.
    As do I, though admittedly I don't listen to a lot of Sinatra or the artists of that era

I simply love this performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of5qYrK--D8 (though apparently it's pitch corrected, I really don't think he needs it though)
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    He's completely overrated.

Who by? What makes him overrated?
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    He popped up on the X Factor a few years ago and they made out he was the biggest thing in music, never heard of him before then. Is he even popular in America?

What? He is insanely popular, his last album in the UK sold huge amounts and he did a massive arena tour.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is really popular but I don't get the hype personally. Apart from "Haven't Met You Yet", none of this songs have been that amazing for me. His singing style is quite dull and boring, although I do appreciate the fact he has a good voice.

I think other than his voice, he also has a charm about him and a gentleman-like way which I think a lot of people like.
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's just a females fancy to be honest, I love the tone of his voice but I can't bear to watch him sing live, he looks a very amateurish performer on stage to me even though he's been around for years. A Christmas covers album selling hugely at Christmas by a popular artist, what a shock laugh out loud. I'll give him credit for knowing how to cash in on his most popular and biggest selling market, the UK.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Cant stand his music. But if others like him, fair enough. People will always like dislike/like music thats others have completly the opposite reation to. I dont know why people seem so surprised and puzzled at this.

This. In fact I have said similar before. Ok if you don't like a particular artist then say so if you really must, but to not understand that many others will love them just shows up ignorance to me.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe in an era where people are doing dance music and hip hop, he just sings old fashioned songs quite well?

When he turned up on x factor a few years back after quite a few singers were out of their face or mentally ill and confused (remember Britney and Whitney?), he was the only one who knew where he was and could string a sentence together.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's talented, he does what he does well, and if his type of thing floats your boat then you're going to love his work.

But being honest most people in the UK didn't have a clue who he was until he kept getting mentioned on The X Factor a few years ago, and in hardly any time at all he was suddenly a superstar in the UK.

I don't mean this in a negative way, because as I say I think he's very good at what he does and a lot of people apparently like it. But I'm convinced that if Louis Walsh and Simon Cowell didn't keep name-checking him on The X Factor a few years ago most people in the UK would still have no idea who he is. I think that the hype he received from that TV show was what brought him to most people's attention.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's what women want.