EE - Keeping New Characters identities a Secret

2»

Comments

• Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    I hate it when a new character appears on the show and they disappear for ages.

Eg: Charlie, Yvonne, Buster, Martin, Aunt Babe, Lee, Stan, Jane (when she returned in January 2014) and now Vincent.

I feel the same. With Martin especially but I understand why they have done it. Also Shabnam was away after her first couple of episode until masood punched tamwar which brought her back. So many characters have done this in one year. If the character is just minor until moving onto the square in fine with that though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a sign of a confident show I would say. It is in a strong enough position to hold things back, whereas a show that is struggling may have said for example, Lucy's killer is Bobby a few months in advance to regain momentum.

It's also a sign viewers trust the show. What the Vincent story also shows, is that he was known to Ronnie a year before his actual debut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a sign of a confident show I would say. It is in a strong enough position to hold things back, whereas a show that is struggling may have said for example, Lucy's killer is Bobby a few months in advance to regain momentum.

It's also a sign viewers trust the show. What the Vincent story also shows, is that he was known to Ronnie a year before his actual debut.

One thing I don't get though... He was supposed to be on the cruise with Kim at the time.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    WurzelSpy wrote: »
    Why does this always seem to happen.? We know it's filmed 6-8 weeks ahead. It's always made me think they'll stick a new character in for a couple of short scenes then await audience reaction before deciding to came them and/or which direction to take them in.

I reckon that must be partly it as well as the actors other commitments, but it can be quite frustrating in the interim, esp when the time scale is quite long and they are barely mentioned again for months at a time.
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    I hate it when a new character appears on the show and they disappear for ages.

Eg: Charlie, Yvonne, Buster, Martin, Aunt Babe, Lee, Stan, Jane (when she returned in January 2014) and now Vincent.
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    On the whole I like the gradual introductions although Busters has been very dragged out. It may depend on what prior commitments the actors may have I suppose.

I don't mind the gradual introductions but it is when they drag them out far too long, like you say. They have done it with so many new characters or returning characters like the ones mentioned above. Also when they are in the period of disappearance, we hear practically nothing about them, off screen of on so you don't really know if you're coming or going. I also like to know if a character is going to be a guest, recurring or permanent.

Buster's has been one the most lengthy. I was thinking with Buster they may have wanted to wait until after Linda's trial result a few weeks ago as obviously that would affect his story or it could have been Karl Howman had other commitments like you say, as well as other actors like Annette Badland did at the beginning of her stint.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member

Buster's has been one the most lengthy. I was thinking with Buster they may have wanted to wait until after Linda's trial result a few weeks ago as obviously that would affect his story or it could have been Karl Howman had other commitments like you say, as well as other actors like Annette Badland did at the beginning of her stint.[/QUOTE]

I do think that they've been able to attract better actors by being more flexible with the time they commit to the show. Being able to come and go is probably important to those who like variety in their working life, and are able to get work other than on a soap. The alternative is that we end up with the sort of actors that are out of work for a very good reason (maybe I'm being unfair here:blush:) Settling for a soap can be the kiss of death for an actor.

Having rattled that off, I'm still impatient for Buster to return.:D And why did they tease us with Ryan, I really want him back now.:(
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I do think that they've been able to attract better actors by being more flexible with the time they commit to the show. Being able to come and go is probably important to those who like variety in their working life, and are able to get work other than on a soap. The alternative is that we end up with the sort of actors that are out of work for a very good reason (maybe I'm being unfair here:blush:) Settling for a soap can be the kiss of death for an actor.

Having rattled that off, I'm still impatient for Buster to return.:D And why did they tease us with Ryan, I really want him back now.:(

I agree actually, about the flexibility, if the show is more flexible for actors then it would attract and be more appealing for them to consider and therefore they can aim higher for castings, I can't believe EastEnders got Tim West, Annette Badland, Pauline Mclynn and Karl Howman! Though having said that I do find that too much freedom isn't always bgood for continuity and stories, actors like Patsy Palmer and Sam Womack come and go too frequently and it must become a bit of a pain having to keep finding new ways to cover continual absences such as those.

I am impatient for Buster's return! It seems like forever ago he was on screen. It must be this month if he was in the trailer, I am still wanting to know if he is going to be a permanent character, a guest, recurring or if he has a fixed contract for a certain length of time. Personally I would like him to be permanent, it is great to see Karl Howman back on the TV.

What was Ryan's brief return about? Unless it was just a teaser to show he was still around without the intention of bringing him back?
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I agree actually, about the flexibility, if the show is more flexible for actors then it would attract and be more appealing for them to consider and therefore they can aim higher for castings, I can't believe EastEnders got Tim West, Annette Badland, Pauline Mclynn and Karl Howman! Though having said that I do find that too much freedom isn't always bgood for continuity and stories, actors like Patsy Palmer and Sam Womack come and go too frequently and it must become a bit of a pain having to keep finding new ways to cover continual absences such as those.

I am impatient for Buster's return! It seems like forever ago he was on screen. It must be this month if he was in the trailer, I am still wanting to know if he is going to be a permanent character, a guest, recurring or if he has a fixed contract for a certain length of time. Personally I would like him to be permanent, it is great to see Karl Howman back on the TV.

What was Ryan's brief return about? Unless it was just a teaser to show he was still around without the intention of bringing him back?

BIB 1 They need to start handling the comings and goings better. Why do they inevitably end up in prison or hospital. Someone like Phil could easily just spend a few weeks in Portugal with his ageing mother every year.

Ryan...one minute he's watching Lily in the park, and then nothing. :confused: I still hope fer at least a visit, he's obviously in touch with Whitney.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie should just be left in the coma as sam is filming more stuff. Waking up now just seems stupid if it's going to be shoved aside.
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member

Dominic seems to have actors already in mind for the roles he comes up with. He has cast quite a few stage actors and I imagine he is a regular theatre goer. It's certainly working, he has made some of the best cast signings in years. The show seems to be attracting some good talent at present. Am sure I read somewhere that he has received a lot of requests for roles from big names in the business because he managed to snare Timothy West.

I never liked Ryan, am not fussed if I never saw him again it's just his return last year now seems to be utterly pointless.
    Forum Member
    Dominic seems to have actors already in mind for the roles he comes up with. He has cast quite a few stage actors and I imagine he is a regular theatre goer. It's certainly working, he has made some of the best cast signings in years. The show seems to be attracting some good talent at present. Am sure I read somewhere that he has received a lot of requests for roles from big names in the business because he managed to snare Timothy West.

I never liked Ryan, am not fussed if I never saw him again it's just his return last year now seems to be utterly pointless.

I agree. Richard Blackwood, Karl Howman, Timothy West, Ellen Thomas, Linda Marlowe, Annette Badland ect...He has been ridiculously lucky with casting, some of them are top notch signings and as you say, the show is attracting some good talent, as well as having many talented actors already there. The cast is unbelievably strong right now.

BIB: Well, if it's good enough for Tim West....:D

I was indifferent to Ryan. I could take or leave him but it seems that his appearance was more to get people talking, I don't know whether he will return in the future but it doesn't seem to be on the cards imminently.
    Forum Member

I wasn't that keen on him until I saw the actor on Doctors, where he was really good. Now I'm all for a more 'mature' Ryan. Fortunately people do grow up.:)
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    I hope Ryan doesn't make a full time return. I wouldn't be opposed to a guest stint but I never really liked Ryan. If Ryan does make a full time return, then I hope the EastEnders producers don't reunite Ryan and Stacey.
    Forum Member
    I agree. Richard Blackwood, Karl Howman, Timothy West, Ellen Thomas, Linda Marlowe, Annette Badland ect...He has been ridiculously lucky with casting, some of them are top notch signings and as you say, the show is attracting some good talent, as well as having many talented actors already there. The cast is unbelievably strong right now.

BIB: Well, if it's good enough for Tim West....:D

I was indifferent to Ryan. I could take or leave him but it seems that his appearance was more to get people talking, I don't know whether he will return in the future but it doesn't seem to be on the cards imminently.

A lack of acting jobs has made soap operas more appealing to even the most experienced actors now. You do have to go where there is work, I think that's one of the reasons why Danny Dyer seems so keen to stick around. All the big soaps have managed to score some decent castings over recent years becaus of that. However DTC seems to always have the right role for the right actor.
    Forum Member
    A lack of acting jobs has made soap operas more appealing to even the most experienced actors now. You do have to go where there is work, I think that's one of the reasons why Danny Dyer seems so keen to stick around. All the big soaps have managed to score some decent castings over recent years becaus of that. However DTC seems to always have the right role for the right actor.

You're right.

BIB: I agree. This is one of DTC's strong points. The actors he casts always seem to fit the role perfectly, well so far.:D
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some slow burn introductions work but only one at a time, we currently have Buster, Martin and Vincent all trickling through
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Nothing brings me dread more than the words cheeky chappy.

Same. Just makes me think of ****ing Alfie. >:(
    Forum Member
    Where's tonight's thread.
    Forum Member
    You're right.

BIB: I agree. This is one of DTC's strong points. The actors he casts always seem to fit the role perfectly, well so far.:D

I thought the actress who played Tosh was awful to start off with, but it was clear through her first year that she was trying to improve. Danny Boy is gradually growing on me too. And they are the weakest links acting wise.