Options

Smear Test

Comments

• Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Ladies, please please please go and get yours done. I had mine just over a year ago, and it came back showing abnormal cells, then I had to have another one done, and then as a result of that it showed I had the most serious level of pre cancerous cells, which required another little procedure. I finally got the all clear back in March.

If I hadn't gone, they said it would have developed into full blown cervical cancer, and so I am really now nagging friends, and people when the topic comes up to go and get theirs done.

For the large majority of people, the result will come back clear, and they won't have to go through what I did, but I still would go through it all again, rather than face getting cancer. It's a simple quick test, which really could save your life :)

I had something similar years ago. SIN 3 on the pre-cancerous cells, took about 7 or 8 treatments to get it normal. The worrying thing is that I was 21 at the time, hasnt the age increased to 25 now :confused:
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that it is worrying that the minimum age has been increased to 25. I also had abnormal cells (luckily only CIN1 and after a biopsy they decided I didn't need treatment, just 6-monthly smears) and I was only 19.
    Which reminds me I really must go to the drop-in clinic Saturday and have one!
  • Options
    chinchillachinchilla Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladies, please please please go and get yours done. I had mine just over a year ago, and it came back showing abnormal cells, then I had to have another one done, and then as a result of that it showed I had the most serious level of pre cancerous cells, which required another little procedure. I finally got the all clear back in March.

If I hadn't gone, they said it would have developed into full blown cervical cancer, and so I am really now nagging friends, and people when the topic comes up to go and get theirs done.

For the large majority of people, the result will come back clear, and they won't have to go through what I did, but I still would go through it all again, rather than face getting cancer. It's a simple quick test, which really could save your life :)

Same here (had my procedure in March) and fingers crossed hope to get the all clear in September. Please get yourself checked, you're in and out within 5-10 minutes, not the most comfortable thing in the world, but definitely not painful :)

I wish the NHS would lower the age back down though - 25 seems too old to start having them.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Thanks :), does it take long? Sorry for so many questions but when you hear all those horror stories it makes you wonder, as some people make it sound like something totally horrendous.

I've had quite a few. The worst time was once when they didn't warm the metal thingy - it gave me quite a shock, because it was quite cold! :D

Actually, I think I used the wrong smilie - my face was more like :eek:

The worst it can be is a bit uncomfortable, but no worse than that in my experience!

I would add that I prefer a male doctor, but that's just down to personal opinion.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    They are uncomfortable for me, but very important to have done.

We have 3 practice nurses but one whose job it is to do routine smears. I saw her at a craft fair recently (turns out she paints in her spare time and was selling her artwork) and I said hello but she told me the hazard of her job is she doesn't always remember faces! :D
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Thanks :), does it take long? Sorry for so many questions but when you hear all those horror stories it makes you wonder, as some people make it sound like something totally horrendous.

Ive never had one (not received the letter yet but will later this year!) but i thought they sounded awful!

I have assisted in a few as part of my job and not a single one of them looked in pain or tortured! Admittedly it didnt look pleasant but i was relieved. Now im not too worried about having it done as ive seen how quick and simple it is!

Eta does anyone know if they do them for under 25s?
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe if there is a family history of cervical cancer, then you can have one done younger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife has hers done in a mobile unit that comes to the village, same as breast screening. Have never heard say anything about it.

Safer to have it done than ignore it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The treatment for any stage of cervical cancer is far more invasive and life impacting than the 5 mins it takes to have a smear. It's a no brainer.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason 25 is the introductory age is because in younger women, the results are consistently inconclusive and many abnormalities show up when they shouldn't be showing as abnormalities (if that makes sense).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CIN-2 here. Cancerous cells that went up into my womb. And I always attended smear tests regularly.

To all those that are scared:

Scared of a mildly embarrassing 5 minute procedure? Or scared of dying of cancer a la Jade Goody? Think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Ive never had one (not received the letter yet but will later this year!) but i thought they sounded awful!

I have assisted in a few as part of my job and not a single one of them looked in pain or tortured! Admittedly it didnt look pleasant but i was relieved. Now im not too worried about having it done as ive seen how quick and simple it is!

Eta does anyone know if they do them for under 25s?

How freaky is this, just posted that last night and this morning i had a letter!

I rang up to book and asked if they would still do it since im not 25 yet and they said if ive received the letter then they can book me in. Managed to get a cancellation slot on 8th july as part of a clinic where i can discuss other things with the nurse.

I went for that option so i will be more relaxed i think. If i can ask other health questions it wont seem so daunting turning up just for a smear test!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the reason 25 is the introductory age is because in younger women, the results are consistently inconclusive and many abnormalities show up when they shouldn't be showing as abnormalities (if that makes sense).

Maybe so, but what about the ones where it develops into something nastier. If I had waited to have a smear until 25, I hate to think what would have happened to the abnormal cells in 4 years, especially because it was at CIN 3 then :eek:
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but what about the ones where it develops into something nastier. If I had waited to have a smear until 25, I hate to think what would have happened to the abnormal cells in 4 years, especially because it was at CIN 3 then :eek:

I don't know.
    I'm just reporting on what I know about the current legislation.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    msmasood wrote: »
    I was disappointed with it, heard how painful it was, and I hardly noticed. Like others have said, it's a non event really.

How could you be disappointed? What a strange comment. Most women are a bit fearful of their first smear and afterwards thankful that it was so easy.

We have 3 practice nurses but one whose job it is to do routine smears. I saw her at a craft fair recently (turns out she paints in her spare time and was selling her artwork) and I said hello but she told me the hazard of her job is she doesn't always remember faces! :D

That puts it into perspective!

My doc used to have medical students sitting in with him. One day he asked if I'd allow a student to observe the smear test.

It didn't much matter to me. they have to learn. The thing went in and Doc said to him ''Tell me what you see''.

The poor student babbled and faffed and said '' It's very dark in there. I can't see anything.''

I said ''Would you like me to switch the light on?''

How else do you handle that situation?
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my first smear test just under 2 years ago. I got my letter just before my 25th so rang up and requested a female doctor which wasn't an issue. I was really nervous about it, everybody I spoke to told me to relax which I tried to do as best I could! Thing is when I get nervous I need to pee, just about to lie and realised I needed to pee (despite going about 20 mins before) but the doctor was really kind and asked if it was my first time and said we could do it at my pace, after Id been to the loo! Anyway came back and it was all done in less than a minute, the thing which shook me the most was the cold instrument they use to open the cervix up! results came back several weeks later all clear
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    mellybumps wrote: »
    I know, I'm just frightened of knowing, it's a stupid fear! Started off being late because I was pregnant and then I had my kids with me 24/7 so there was nobody who could have them while I had it done, then I got divorced and moved... need to stop making excuses and get it arranged I know.

All sounds like excuses to me I have had to take my little boy with me he just stays head end:D

As someone who just lost my best friend to cervical cancer this year I would urge everyone to go and get it done it is a minute of discomfort and worth knowing. Treatment is easy if caught early enough
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I had my first smear test just under 2 years ago. I got my letter just before my 25th so rang up and requested a female doctor which wasn't an issue. I was really nervous about it, everybody I spoke to told me to relax which I tried to do as best I could! Thing is when I get nervous I need to pee, just about to lie and realised I needed to pee (despite going about 20 mins before) but the doctor was really kind and asked if it was my first time and said we could do it at my pace, after Id been to the loo! Anyway came back and it was all done in less than a minute, the thing which shook me the most was the cold instrument they use to open the cervix up! results came back several weeks later all clear

Next time tell them to run it under the hot tap, it warms it up a bit, so that bits not so much of a shock. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has anyone here ever had a breast check by a nurse? When i have my smear test i want to ask if they can also check my breasts just to make sure they are ok. But i dont know if thats a bit of a weird request?

Do they also ask if cancer is in your family? And what do they close as family? Eg in my case my mum is ok (i think she has regular smears although sometimes puts it off) but my nan and some of my great aunts have/had various cancers.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on how experienced the person is who is doing the test. I've had some that were a breeze and others that were quite painful. Apparently you need to relax (which is easier said than done).
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever had a breast check by a nurse? When i have my smear test i want to ask if they can also check my breasts just to make sure they are ok. But i dont know if thats a bit of a weird request?

Do they also ask if cancer is in your family? And what do they close as family? Eg in my case my mum is ok (i think she has regular smears although sometimes puts it off) but my nan and some of my great aunts have/had various cancers.

A doctor checked mine once because I thought I felt a lump. She was fine about it, although it wasn't during a smear, just a normal appointment.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    It really is a breeze these days. I'm 41 and our authority starts tests at 18 or a year after becoming sexually active. When they introduced the wee brush instead of the plastic scraper I was still waiting for the wee scratch when she told me she was done.

I always ask for a breast check while I'm there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really is a breeze these days. I'm 41 and our authority starts tests at 18 or a year after becoming sexually active. When they introduced the wee brush instead of the plastic scraper I was still waiting for the wee scratch when she told me she was done.

I always ask for a breast check while I'm there.

Im a bit worried now because at the hospital they use a thing that looks a bit like a triangular plastic comb to do the scraping! Im guessing thats the painful one you refer to? I have no idea what they will use at the doctors i will be at, i just hope its not too painful!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member

I agree so much with this, I had the same happen to me after my first ever smear test in may 2011 I had abnormal cells and only got my all clear letter 3 days ago and it went on for so long as I had my treatment in march 2012 as the level of seriousness and gone from 1 to 3 in a year but then got pregnant in june so they couldn't check to see if I was clear until at least 6 weeks after the baby was born. I used to wake up in the middle of the night panicking and terrified about it not knowing whether I still had the precancerous cells. One thing it did was give me the final kick I needed to give up smoking which is a huge contributor to abnormal cells.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    The thing they use isn't painful - it's only the speculum that hurts (and that is flipping painful - I've had all sorts of gynae objects up there and been fine but the smear is still awful).

I have had ones that have hurt and some that don't, I think it can depend on who is doing it and how experienced they are. My consultant at the hospital has always been really good but some of the younger nurses have struggled and it can be a bit uncomfortable but apparently I have a high cervix and they always need to get 'the long one'!!