Do the graphics look any better?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    The thing that holds consoles back is the price of games and how rapidly they fall on the PC. How is it that BF4 (I think, looked at so many recently) is £30 or so on PC yet £50+ on consoles. They keep telling us the PS4 is basically a PC in a small form and transferring from PC to the next gen is easier than every before, well prove it, drop the prices. Yes I know MS and Sony get a cut of every game produced for their machine, but £20 plus £'s is getting beyond. And how come console games never seem to fall in price in line with how quickly PC games drop.

I belive game are doing this for £25.00 on current gen consoles. If you use the upgrade system... £10.00 to upgrade to next gen. Not a bad way to get it cheaper
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    ^^Yes they are saying that you will be able to upgrade, but the trouble is that in 4 years everyone will have a different spec'd machine and you'll be back to checking the small print to determine whether your version of the 'Steam Box" can run a particular game.

Perhaps they will have some sort of simple clear numbering system built into steam, similar to what MS attempted with windows 7, letting you know how powerful your box is and what is required to run a game at minimum, at standard and at max.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Perhaps they will have some sort of simple clear numbering system built into steam, similar to what MS attempted with windows 7, letting you know how powerful your box is and what is required to run a game at minimum, at standard and at max.

This from the Verge talking to one of the SteamBox devs:
    It's one of these places where Steam is particularly and perhaps uniquely positioned to be able to actually help customers… we're sitting at the nexus of these hardware specs, so we can harvest data about what's going on, and repeat it back in a digestible form to every Steam user who cares

The feature will be coming next year, seen as it's a clientside feature it won't be related to the launch of SteamOS/Box I don't think.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing we do need to make clear is the fact that PC gamers (most of them) are not 'dissing' console gaming. Hell, most of us own a console too. What we are pointing out is that PC gaming in general is cheaper in the long run. Yeah I agree, it can and does cost a fortune for a decent gaming rig but once bought, you can start making savings from the off. Cheaper games, no online sub to game/chat with friends. Steam sales that can save you up to 75% off games. I switched from console gaming (xbox360) because I was fed up having to pay £40 for newer games and a further £40 to play them online.We had 3 Gold accounts to pay for and it became a joke. Gaming is expensive enough without the likes of MS and now Sony ripping us off even more just to game online with friends.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing we do need to make clear is the fact that PC gamers (most of them) are not 'dissing' console gaming. Hell, most of us own a console too. What we are pointing out is that PC gaming in general is cheaper in the long run. Yeah I agree, it can and does cost a fortune for a decent gaming rig but once bought, you can start making savings from the off. Cheaper games, no online sub to game/chat with friends. Steam sales that can save you up to 75% off games. I switched from console gaming (xbox360) because I was fed up having to pay £40 for newer games and a further £40 to play them online.We had 3 Gold accounts to pay for and it became a joke. Gaming is expensive enough without the likes of MS and now Sony ripping us off even more just to game online with friends.

It's true, I play my 3DS just as much :)

A PC in general is always a win if you're willing to spend over £600 on one, cheaper games where you're going to make all your money back over time like pointed out above, it's always ahead in graphics and performance, every game I played supports a controller, and it's rubbish when you hear people saying you have to upgrade every few months.

The only downside is sometimes getting your game to work, which really come on doesn't happen much anymore.

And yes to the OP the graphics have moved on from last gen consoles to this gen consoles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's true, I play my 3DS just as much :)

A PC in general is always a win if you're willing to spend over £600 on one, cheaper games where you're going to make all your money back over time like pointed out above, it's always ahead in graphics and performance, every game I played supports a controller, and it's rubbish when you hear people saying you have to upgrade every few months.

The only downside is sometimes getting your game to work, which really come on doesn't happen much anymore.

And yes to the OP the graphics have moved on from last gen consoles to this gen consoles.

I'm just waiting for the 'master race' comments to come our way mate lol. There's always one eh :D
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the price... there better.

That makes no sense.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just waiting for the 'master race' comments to come our way mate lol. There's always one eh :D

Bl00dy PC gaming Master Race lording it over the console peasants! :D
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    That makes no sense.

I know right it's "they're" LOL:D
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

I don't see the appeal of console gaming. Why pay more for an inferior version? Makes no sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    Bl00dy PC gaming Master Race lording it over the console peasants! :D

console peasants :eek: :D
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends what you want out of gaming.

I was a PC gamer then switched to 360 as all my old PS2 online friends were on there. 360 up until the start of this year when I went out and bought a big PC gaming rig.

I've been playing (and loving) the PC for nearly a year now, trying to get back to grips with KB/M over the controller. the graphics are OUTSTANDING....but....

...you can't beat the ease of use and social side of online gaming on a console. Yes there's Teamspeak and Ventrilo but unless you've already got a load of PC gaming friends, it's like going back to solo gaming on the likes of the SNES. Nobody talks, it's a very lonely experience.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I have nothing against PC Gamers I was one for years, but since getting my imac, there's not a load of games available, so I started using my console more, I do like sitting on my sofa with a nice big 50" TV to play on. That being said if the Steam Box arrives and delivers what its seeming to promise I will probably get one.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your wrong. For the £349.00 that a ps4 costs you couldn't build a pc thats 'much better' than a ps4 for games and graphics.

For a bigger budget you could out do the ps4. And of course add to it over time. But the original poster is asking about the xbox one and ps4... not a pc.

People could easily turn the PC many already own into a gaming PC for less than that.
    Forum Member
    jim_uk wrote: »
    People could easily turn the PC many already own into a gaming PC for less than that.

So you would have already had to have bough a high-ish spec pc... then upgrade it.

Prove it....!?
    Forum Member
    jim_uk wrote: »

I'm so sorry your right. Everyone buying a games console is a fool. Buy a budget pc for £300.00 and then upgrade it... why didn't we all (millions who have bought the ps4) think of that.

And to the casual gamer and farther of three... turning a normal pc into a high spec gaming pc isn't easy. Buying a ps4 is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you would have already had to have bough a high-ish spec pc... then upgrade it.

Prove it....!?

define 'high-ish' spec.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    This point has been argued back and forth for years. It's telling that we used to be talking about a grand plus and now it's three hundred quid though. I think £400 for me is doable for a PC I can forget about for a bit. I would be saving for a GPU upgrade though, sorry! It might not be there yet for a console only price, but as soon as you start looking at packages that all changes, especially considering console games are nearly double the price of PC Games (caveats galore.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a PC gamer, but tomorrow i'm getting a PS4, what i like to see is one of the people saying you can get a Gaming PC for the same price as a PS4 and it will be better

Please show me this magical PC that will running all games for the next 10 years perfectly with no upgrades

The PS4 is £35 a year for a decade, no gaming PC could ever be maintained to a good standard for a decade for £35 a year
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    PS4 and Xboxone can't run their launch games perfectly. Just sayin : )
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GPU - AMD 7870 - £130
    CPU - FX 6100 - £90
    RAM - 8GB - £50
    Mobo - GIGABYTE AMD 78LMT-USB3 - £35
    Gaming Case Micro ATX - £40
    Reliable branded PSU - Corsair CX 500 - £48
    Windows 8 - £75
    Monitor - AOC 21" 1080p - £93

£561

There that is near enough the current level of the new consoles and this PC will match it using medium to high settings for the next year or so, usually minus windows and a monitor and stick the cash on a beefy card and you have a very capable PC.

But like I've said before if you're going to spend just £300-£400 on a PC you might as well buy a console, unless you're a enthusiast who will falk out for the high end gear.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I'm not a PC gamer, but tomorrow i'm getting a PS4, what i like to see is one of the people saying you can get a Gaming PC for the same price as a PS4 and it will be better

Please show me this magical PC that will running all games for the next 10 years perfectly with no upgrades

The PS4 is £35 a year for a decade, no gaming PC could ever be maintained to a good standard for a decade for £35 a year

I don't understand why in 10 years time you would want to play games on 10 year old tech? Not many people own a phone that is 10 years old, or even a TV that is 10 years old (i do :D), or any other tech, but with consoles it's ok?

In such a tech driven society that is thirsty for greater and greater tech advancement, people are fine with decade old consoles.

That's alittle...strange to me. If Gabe Newell is right and Apple move into the 'living room space', I think MicroSony will go from a position of dominance to catching up during this gen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used both consoles today and I'd say not really. However Ryse and forza looked the best. But as others have said give it time. Also I don't personally like the PS4 controller. Much prefer the X1 controller.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »

No you won't be building one for 350, however what you fail to take in to consideration is the games being 10-20% cheaper, with no online charges.

Say you build a PC right now for 500 pounds, this would already out do next gen consoles. In reality 270 X - 280 X these could easily be done in 500 budget depending on your choice of better coolers, non reference cards etc. They will be running games for good 3-4 years far better than the Xbox one and PS4.

Good example would be my gtx 470 held games with mostly max settings good FPS for three years at 1080p with visuals far surpassing anything on consoles.The myth you have change each year is nonsense.

Now In reality that extra 150 for a PC will be saved through buying games on steam or even you only like boxed games you still save 10-15 per release and get better experience.

Now with upgrades, yes half way down line you might need swap out a GPU but again all that money you've saved software outweighs added cost. It's also fair to say, who's to say your PS4 going to live for a decade ? You could easily end up spending more on console replacements than on upgrading a PC, as warrentys are very long on PC components compared console.

The reasons this debate baffles me is for nearly decade I've playing games on at 1080p and can't remember last game I've not maxed out, and I've probably put more money in to consoles than I've my PC.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Read on PSU last night that this gen of consoles are expected to last 5-6 years not the 8+ years of last gen.