Charlie Brooker interview: Why are there no game TV shows?

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,568
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a534185/charlie-brooker-interview-why-are-there-no-computer-game-tv-shows.html

It is a good point, You never see gaming on TV even through more and more people enjoy it. A weekly gaming review might do well on TV.

Comments

• Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because gamers are more likely these days to be sat infront of a computer rather than infront of a TV, that's for the bored housewives, this is why there is so much crap on TV, especially ITV.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is still some good stuff on the BBC if you search for it, Usually BBC4.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because gamers are more likely these days to be sat infront of a computer rather than infront of a TV, that's for the bored housewives, this is why there is so much crap on TV, especially ITV.

Youd be surprised at how many "bored housewives"..(presumably 'bored' because they are at home all day with nothing to do, whilst their husbands are hard at work?) play computer games.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because gamers are more likely these days to be sat infront of a computer rather than infront of a TV..

Yep. There is a flipload of gaming related stuff on youtube, which people are watching on tablets/ smart TVs/ phones/ PCs etc. I kind of don't care there isn't any gaming programmes on mainstream TV.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    Yep. There is a flipload of gaming related stuff on youtube, which people are watching on tablets/ smart TVs/ phones/ PCs etc. I kind of don't care there isn't any gaming programmes on mainstream TV.

Broadcast TV isn't very good for review shows any more. Films and music are slightly better catered for, but apart from the Gadget Show, Top Gear (both of which cover far more than reviews), I can't really think of any other shows that are on in peak slots.

The benefit of YouTube is that reviews can be put up very quickly, whereas the higher production required for TV means that reviews on that media are old news unless they can get early access.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 25 most significant games.

Pac Man and Mario.

Jetset Willy?
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Jonathan Ross wearing nail varnish?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a gaming channel on Virgin Media called GINX.
    Last gaming show i remember was on ITV Cybernet.
    Forum Member
    The 25 most significant games.

Pac Man and Mario.

Jetset Willy?

The purpose of the list was mainly to drive the narrative of the documentary, not to list the best games ever made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    wrong thread
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The purpose of the list was mainly to drive the narrative of the documentary, not to list the best games ever made.

Yes I saw the show and they had Manic Miner instead of Jet Set Willy.
    Forum Member
    Yes I saw the show and they had Manic Miner instead of Jet Set Willy.

Manic Miner came out before Jet Set Willy.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

There's dozens upon dozens of amazing TV series at the moment. Sadly in states, and these face never being picked up by any network.

Imagine the likes of breaking bad being made in open world adventure by good developer with a massive budget.

I'm also sure there is millions upon millions who play games an watch TV.

How many people on here have played through Simpsons hit and run more times than you can think; Or who looking forward to the new south park game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Manic Miner came out before Jet Set Willy.

Yes I know.

And yet I still said Jet Set WIlly, funny that.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Last gaming show i remember was on ITV Cybernet.

I used to watch that on Bravo. "...with me, Catherine Fox!" Oh yeah, Catherine Fox! Um, who are you?
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Not exactly mainstream, but The Blurb is still being shown on Challenge every week.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep forgetting The Blurb is on.
    Cybernet was great, it was for computer games what The Chart Show was for music. Just footage and reviews. No trendy emo's trotting about pretending to give a damn.
    I put up with Bits and GamesMaster in its early days nearly got it right. Did the format get messed about with a bit and it became rubbish ?

Wasn't there a similar show on Sky (I've never had Sky.) to Gamesmaster called GamesWorld were the champions used to come on as characters in fancy dress behaving like wrestlers.
    Probably one of the reasons why there are a lack of programs.