Forum design feedback

Comments

• spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever the style change is "about", it certainly involves substantially more data per web page. which is the way things go now with all computing horribly over-complicated .........
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IS DS a Tesco owned product now? Every article seems to have a link with "Watch the latest TV shows and movies on Blinkbox from Tesco now" at the very end of it included in the actual article text, not a separate ad, and there's competitions to win one of the Tesco tablets and Blinkbox subscription on the forums.

Keeping Tesco happy is more important than keeping your millions of visitors happy, eh?
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Please can one of the mods answer this question:

Why can't we have the option of using the fully functional old style forums until the issues with this one are sorted out with a cut off date, if so desired, after which the new style becomes like it or lump it?

This isn't a big ask is it?

Lllllol me thinks you are peeing in the wind :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morlock wrote: »
    This sums it up nicely, for web address:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/

"Both color difference and color brightness do not meet the recommended standard for 66.59% of the total text."

http://www.accesskeys.org/tools/color-contrast.html

It's an awful lot of "FAIL"s and red crosses. :o Almost exclusively lol
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS is this monstrosity colossal f*** up still going? * insert proper red angry smiley* if I'd donesomething that got this much negative feedback and complaints I'd have changed it back within the hour, DS aren't even bothering to reply. DS you changed it, you've had the response to it from the people who actually use it, so grow some balls and face the wrath of those you've enraged, you spineless cowards.

In the meantime, is there any clever techno people on here who can come up with a replica of the old skin and old smileys that can be used on any computer or device (you know, those things that Apple and other companies have made millions from due to their popularity* insert rollyeyes smiley*), so we can at least cover up this hideous cock-up?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Wow! That DS old style in Chrome puts it almost back to how is was before this all started.

Well done that person! (DS Hire them immediately or sooner!)
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    Yes there's a poll in the broadcast forum that I started and I would say its practically 100% against the new format and only about 26 votes in favour of and it's approaching 500 votes against the new format.
    Ian.

How can it be 100% against if there's 26 votes in favour?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    It doesn't fit, it's oppressive-feeling and it strains the eyes.
    Horrible!
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »

All 26 of those votes are from staff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS is this monstrosity colossal f*** up still going? * insert proper red angry smiley* if I'd donesomething that got this much negative feedback n complaints I'd have changed it back within the hour, DS aren't even bothering to reply. DS you changed it, you've had the response to it from the people who actually use it, so grow some ball and face the wrath of those you've enraged, you spineless cowards.

In the meantime, is there any clever techno people on here who can come up with a replica of the old skin and old smileys that can be used on any computer or device (you know, those things that Apple and other companies have made millions from due to their popularity* insert rollyeyes smiley*), so we can at least cover up this hideous cock-up?

If you have a spare fortnight, scroll back. Some has kindly created a fix or two.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    [[/B]
    So much empty space in each post it's like talking to yourself in an empty arena.

Yes! That's exactly how it feels.....not like a forum at all !
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange....inbetween DS FORUMS and the banner, I've got this:

Home > Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion

I'm using Chrome

That might be hidden by the banner, if the banner spills over onto two rows. Strangely you can't fix that by altering the width of the window.

But, if you press Ctrl + (on Firefox) to zoom in, everything else gets bigger, but the banner gets smaller! (The Magnify icon is now on the same row as the rest.) And the navigation line becomes visible. Ctrl - a couple of times I think also works. (Ctrl 0 to restore to normal mode!)
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    The white banner across the top is twice as wide as it needs to be. When screen space is limited, efficient use of it is vital. Just no reason for this clunky bit of design.(

I am using 2 different laptops here and am getting different things on both, I'm trying to work out what the difference is as they are both set to exactly the same resolution, and I think are the same screen size. I'm using Waterfox on both and on this older laptop I have the wider bar at the top like you talk about here and have also lost the breadcrumb for the forum links but on my newer one the white bar is half the size and far more sensible looking and the forum links are still there. I am using an Adblocker on both but it may be a different one. The older laptop is Windows 7, the newer one which is working properly on screen layout, is Windows 8.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the new design is to serve advertising purpose and increase ad revenue and not forum users and how THEY use it. The old site was a mess for ads with pop-ups or pop-downs for those that float down from the top of your screen just as you are reading a webpage.

The problem is ads slow the download especially video ads and they are incredibly intrusive on forum sites. I can understand it when they are on the main link pages e.g. showbiz news or tv review pages. But on a page or thread, where smooth uninterrupted interaction/communication between posters and their posts is a key to a well run functioning and popular forum, ads and those pop-ups serve no purpose other than to drive users away. They drive me bonkers!
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    acker wrote: »
    That is exactly what I think.

Good idea! I am too angry to log off today, though.....
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone needs to go onto a beginner design course again.
    A total of 274 errors and 144 warnings were found on the 5 pages tested.
    No pages are W3C compliant. Because there are errors in the code, some web browsers may not be able to read this website correctly and it may not always display correctly.

http://nibbler.silktide.com/reports/forums.digitalspy.co.uk
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member

I said it was practically 100% agains not that it was 100% and it's approaching 500 votes against.
    Ian.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time are the DS staff holding their press conference today, about this new and "improved" website.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He did say practically 100% against.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Think we should all go on strike by agreeing on a day and everyone logging off every single forum for 24 hours! (angry smiley)

Totally agree.I'm trying
    to reply on a Nexus 7 and have to
    keep lowering my keypad as I can't
    see what I'm typing! I hate only being able
    to read one post at a time too.

Busy on times too, like the X Factor live thread.

Going to take two paracetamol now because the stark whiteness is dreadful!
    Good luck on threads which get really
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pedant! Approximations, rounding errors, and they said 'practically' not 'literally', but since that doesn't mean what it used to mean any more I'm just going to literally shake with outrage while my head practically explodes like a big explodey thing.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS is this monstrosity colossal f*** up still going? * insert proper red angry smiley* if I'd donesomething that got this much negative feedback and complaints I'd have changed it back within the hour, DS aren't even bothering to reply. DS you changed it, you've had the response to it from the people who actually use it, so grow some balls and face the wrath of those you've enraged, you spineless cowards.

PaulLFC has done exactly that, Collie. Just install Stylebot, then, from a DS page, click on the CSS icon you'll have in your browser. Click on Install from Social and 'DigitalSpy Blue' should come up. Just click on that. The banner is shrunk, we have blue borders back. It's 100 times better. Can't help with the smilies though.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so much harder on this new layout to be aware of when you are upto previoulsy read posts. You have to keep an eye on the open/closed envelope. Not a fan so far. Too much white space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone needs to go onto a beginner design course again.

http://nibbler.silktide.com/reports/forums.digitalspy.co.uk

LOL. It's pretty embarrassing. :blush:
  • Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The search banner at the top is FAAAARRRR to big, taking up almost a quarter of the page. The background need to be darker, current design will be difficult for those with eyesight problems. Light blue page/thread headers are rather difficult to read.
This discussion has been closed.