Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Novaman wrote: »
    How long will Global keep him going on talking endless pointless drivel during the night on LBC???

Well they seem to be happy with Steve Allen talking endless drivel so he'll probably stay. Not that I hear much of Cristo so I can't comment on him.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    On Cristo's show this morning (Saturday from 1 am) he said he's had such awful rows with his partner they almost resulted in physical fights.

Sort of altered my perception of the guy. I thought he was a much more laid-back sort of person.

Must be the Greek Cypriot heritage

Emotional ,hot blooded and plates a' flyin'
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay, Ken and David uploaded early this week.
  • Options
    Adam_ShawAdam_Shaw Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    There is something rather odd about Cristo I just have this feeling he has quite deep rooted issues.
  • Options
    Adam_ShawAdam_Shaw Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised LBC hasn't got rid of that terrible boring 'Scores' football show, I think we have enough sport talk stations. I would of thought the majority of LBC listeners are not into football thus not listening to Talksport.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the presenters are no longer able to introduce the travel presenter, it is lucky Amy Solomon is not on duty. DM always likes to have a quick flirt with her! However, this guy is not even introducing himself.
    It's nothing of the sort. He patronises her because he is a prime, chauvinistic *ssh*le, and it isn't in the least bit amusing either. It's not only tedious but embarrassing as a listener and undoubtedly for Amy as well. I wish they'd just get rid of Mellor and replace him with Nick de Bois who is like a breath of fresh air compared to him.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam_Shaw wrote: »
    I'm surprised LBC hasn't got rid of that terrible boring 'Scores' football show, I think we have enough sport talk stations. I would of thought the majority of LBC listeners are not into football thus not listening to Talksport.

That show seems out of place. They don't have any sports coverage on Sundays or on midweek evenings so I don't know why they do on Saturday afternoons. And why is it on for so long?
  • Options
    alintonalinton Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Having listened for a few days. I'm afraid I don't like the new imaging.

Don't like the arrangement of the talk-over music. The two stabs towards the end sound like an elephant, and are out of place.

Its a little too strident I think, it's pace encourages the presenter to talk too fast.

And there doesn't seem to be a more laid-back version for night-time use. It's certainly too strident for the night shows, it sounds totally out of place. The old slower version was great for nights.

To me the arrangement of the music sounds messy, and not as bright or 'important' as the previous music.

And its certainly not as recognisable, which is supposed to be a very important quality in imaging.

A.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    It's nothing of the sort. He patronises her because he is a prime, chauvinistic *ssh*le, and it isn't in the least bit amusing either. It's not only tedious but embarrassing as a listener and undoubtedly for Amy as well. I wish they'd just get rid of Mellor and replace him with Nick de Bois who is like a breath of fresh air compared to him.

You obviously don't like him. I wonder if it is more because of his political persuasion than as a broadcaster.

I am sure if Amy didn't like it, he would be told to stop it.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like Scores and have been listening regularly since back when John Cushing presented it with the legend that is Kenny Sansom. I didn't listen today so I don't know whether or not they have kept the London focus or whether it became a general UK wide sports show.

What I like about Scores is that they are often discussions on issues concerning lower division London teams which they couldn't have time for if they have to cover all the teams in the UK. As far as I'm aware, no other station covers London football in the same way.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alinton wrote: »
    The two stabs towards the end sound like an elephant, and are out of place.

That is the bit I like! It sounds like horns signifying 'come together', ready for the news.
    (They are using them on 1152 as well)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously don't like him. I wonder if it is more because of his political persuasion than as a broadcaster.

I am sure if Amy didn't like it, he would be told to stop it.

I don't like David Mellor on LBC, not because he is a Tory and not because he's a Chelsea supporter, but because he has a bullying style, hogs the mic and tries to prevent others from expressing their opinion. He also likes to put people down rather than challenging their views. I agree with FrankBT that Tory Nick de Bois is a better option.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I really like Scores and have been listening regularly since back when John Cushing presented it with the legend that is Kenny Sansom. I didn't listen today so I don't know whether or not they have kept the London focus or whether it became a general UK wide sports show.

What I like about Scores is that they are often discussions on issues concerning lower division London teams which they couldn't have time for if they have to cover all the teams in the UK. As far as I'm aware, no other station covers London football in the same way.

I can't claim to listen every week - including this one - but it has always been a quality programme for sports fans. Not only without question is Ian Payne one of the best presenters on LBC. The show manages to compete with what is almost an iconic BBC equivalent by offering something that is of a high standard but significantly different.

It has always been this way since Dominic Allen and Sportswatch in the 1970s. I sometimes produced a sports newspaper-for-one by 10pm on the basis of its reports. How sad. And as it happens, my dear old Nan gatecrashed Kenny Sansom's wedding many moons ago and everyone was welcoming so there was another connection.

The only proviso is the advent of Talksport but it has never won me over at that time although the non-portable Sky Sports News did briefly when it was on Freeview. Overall, I would say long may it continue. The way stylistically it is positioned against the competition makes it a very good yardstick for the rest of LBC now it has gone national.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be the Greek Cypriot heritage

Emotional ,hot blooded and plates a' flyin'

Or he wasn't a George Michael fan and put the toilet seat down.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something rather odd about Cristo I just have this feeling he has quite deep rooted issues.

Good job he doesn't co present an agony hour as he would be the subject each week....
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the crushing tedium and sense of dread I felt about Saturday afternoons. It was great when out playing, but on returning home I was met with a box television in the corner with interminable tables of football scores being read out in that monotonous, almost hypnotic style.

And then there was the rugby. A bunch of men running about in the mud and jumping on top of each other for no apparent reason. What kind of sadistic sport requires you to pass the ball backwards anyway? But I looked upon it as the purgatory suffering required to be worthy of watching Doctor Who later on.

Coming up for 40 years later, I see Saturday afternoon is still the domain of lamentations. Plus ça change :-D
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Red Alert. Ian Collins has dragged up the good ol' Bedroom Tax argument. So very BORING.
    Some Archbishop has said how the poor are being penalised. So now there's a lot of livid callers ringing in saying how they're feeling the pinch. Trust LBC to beat up response this way to get people champing at the bit. This has to be a dead topic by having done the rounds so very many times!!
    It's a pity LBC can't find new material to strike lively debate in order to get their phone lines ringing. A borefest to the ultimate degree for listening value so far.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Cayce wrote: »
    Red Alert. Ian Collins has dragged up the good ol' Bedroom Tax argument. So very BORING.
    Some Archbishop has said how the poor are being penalised. So now there's a lot of livid callers ringing in saying how they're feeling the pinch. Trust LBC to beat up response this way to get people champing at the bit. This has to be a dead topic by having done the rounds so very many times!!
    It's a pity LBC can't find new material to strike lively debate in order to get their phone lines ringing. A borefest to the ultimate degree for listening value so far.

I can connect this comment which I endorse with the comments about David Mellor. It says a lot to me about modern broadcasting - and politics - that someone like Rory Stewart isn't favoured. There is a Conservative who is not at all "tabloid" in that he is balanced and he also has the most extraordinary and interesting experience - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/03/rory-stewart-interview. By rights, he would be the leader of his party. As it is, he wouldn't even get a radio programme as apparently the current definition of dull is "doesn't squabble enough" .
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC can bore people with the same topics to a much wider audience now.
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I don't like David Mellor on LBC, not because he is a Tory and not because he's a Chelsea supporter, but because he has a bullying style, hogs the mic and tries to prevent others from expressing their opinion. He also likes to put people down rather than challenging their views. I agree with FrankBT that Tory Nick de Bois is a better option.

Spot on Clitheroe and Frank. Mellor's continual snidey comments are beneath contempt. Nothing to do with political views, as stand-in du Bois proved recently. Get shut of this arrogant creep asap LBC.
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »

You may be bored, but how can it be a "dead topic" if it's attracting so much interest and participation from the listeners? Methinks you may have a political axe to grind.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

Nick de Quoi ?
  • Options
    BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is LBC missing a trick by not having separate ads for DAB and FM? Now it's national, there's no room for London-centric ads. I think I read here of the rumour that Classic FM may be giving up its FM frequencies to LBC. It's probably just a conspiracy theory, but it would make a lot of sense to the extent that LBC could then regionalise its ads, just as the Heart stations do. And maybe news, travel and weather too.

The whole fuss about going national is a bit odd, when you think that loads of people have been listening to LBC across the UK, and indeed abroad, for some years now. (I used to listen to Nick Ferrari when living in Israel in 2001).
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    thewilson wrote: »
    You may be bored, but how can it be a "dead topic" if it's attracting so much interest and participation from the listeners? Methinks you may have a political axe to grind.

No I don't have any political axe to grind, you're totally misreading me! Where I'm coming from is, the repetition of topics on LBC has become insufferable. I.e. a bit of variety is a fine thing, and wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bazzie wrote: »
    I think I read here of the rumour that Classic FM may be giving up its FM frequencies to LBC. It's probably just a conspiracy theory, but it would make a lot of sense to the extent that LBC could then regionalise its ads, just as the Heart stations do. And maybe news, travel and weather too.

The Broadcasting Act 1990 states that INR1 (100-102 FM) must be a music station (non-pop) so it is just a conspiracy theory. LBC's format doesn't qualify for that FM licence and it can't happen.
This discussion has been closed.