Just had a police visit because.....

Comments

• maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you are persisting in this very aggressive way. Someone did indeed mention benefits, but it wasn't me.
    Someone did indeed suggest that you should perhaps take your children to the park, again it wasn't me. I made no assumption about your child , I talked about young children in general being out in the dark playing pranks.

Your persistent and aggressive attacks in defence of your child is precisely why people do t bother going to doors to have a quiet word withe parents over what is essentially a a nuisance.

Cannot be bothered trailing through the thread but it's poster 302 who mentioned benefits.
    It's always good to get the facts correct before you launch into an attack on a poster.

I stand corrected, I can see it was another poster who questioned the park and benefits so apologies for that. I don't agree that I am being persistent and aggressive in defence of my child, he has been told it is not acceptable and I have had him apologise for it. Anyway, I have explained the scenario and the outcome and I don't really have much to add to this thread (I will of course defend any unwarranted accusations from any posters of course). Good day to you.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved reading the different names for this, It was called Bobby Knocking for us and seeing as I'm only 20 I'm pretty sure that's still what kids call it around here... Every kids does it at least once!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I've loved reading the different names for this, It was called Bobby Knocking for us and seeing as I'm only 20 I'm pretty sure that's still what kids call it around here... Every kids does it at least once!

I didn't, neither do any kids in my neighbourhood.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Another one for Knock and Run, here. Half a Century ago. :o

These days if the local kids do it occasionally to me, I just roll my eyes and ignore it. If they keep doing it I'll eventually try and suss out who it is and have a quiet word with them. If they persist after that, I'll mention it to the parents but I've never even had to go that far.

Calling the police for Knock and Run? Never!
    Forum Member

Hmmmm
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knock down Ginger here, it would have been better if your neighbour had come to you directly
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm

Me neither, although my dad might have done it ... in the 1930s / 40's. Back then people were used to worse sorts of disturbances, like bombs being dropped on their houses instead.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called knock a door ginger in my neck of the woods, can't believe there are so many variations on what to call knocking a door and running away lol!
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm

Nah terrorising elderly people in their own homes... not my style
    Climbing trees, sledging, going on BMX trails ...yes
    My parents also showed concern as to where I was and what I was up to
    Forum Member
    Nah terrorising elderly people in their own homes... not my style
    Climbing trees, sledging, going on BMX trails ...yes
    My parents also showed concern as to where I was and what I was up to

Well as you have already proven that you do not have a clue what you are talking about I will take all of that with a very large pinch of salt!
    Forum Member
    Well as you have already proven that you do not have a clue what you are talking about I will take all of that with a very large pinch of salt!

Ok, so youre going to prove I did none of these?
    Sorry Im genuinely confused
    Forum Member
    Ok, so youre going to prove I did none of these?
    Sorry Im genuinely confused

seems to be your strapline for most of your posts, that and accusing people of being aggressive if they disagree with you.
    Forum Member
    seems to be your strapline for most of your posts, that and accusing people of being aggressive if they disagree with you.

Ahhh youre talking about a thread about politics... which I hate
    you need to go back and read that thread if that's what you think.
    But in response to your accusation I have never played "Chappy" "Knocky knock doors" "knock door run"... whatever
    I once knew a guy that let off a fire hydrant and the fire brigade turned up at his door... the wee dude nearly shatt himself :D
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MiS, I actually think you're getting an undeserved hard time in this thread, I haven't read all the posts but you do seem to be taking a lot of flack for summat many kids did in their youth.

You also told your little lad it wasn't right and he'll obviously never do it again so can't see why there's so much hostility towards you :confused:
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    MiS, I actually think you're getting an undeserved hard time in this thread, I haven't read all the posts but you do seem to be taking a lot of flack for summat many kids did in their youth.

You also told your little lad it wasn't right and he'll obviously never do it again so can't see why there's so much hostility towards you :confused:

Thank you Joni M, I appreciate that. The thread only really took a negative turn towards the end when a few posters decided to get on their high horse and post a load of inaccurate comments which only made it clear to me that they hadn't read all of my posts. Unfortunately, it is the way of DS, you make a thread to share experiences and invite constructive comments but there are always the negative few who want to attack, sad fact of life I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... and some make posts about children, and their parents, in general.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

quite a bit of passive aggressive comments on the thread too. Attacking the OP then claiming to be speaking generally. Also, there are lots of incorrect assumptions!
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

Nope. Not every kid. I never did it. My husband never did it. My kids never did it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    ... Also, there are lots of incorrect assumptions!

Unfortunately that can happen if something is posted then extra information is posted later on which adds to, or alters, the meaning of a previous post.

It can be very tempting, and ill judged, to reply to an early post without searching a multi-page thread for all the relevant information.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Unfortunately that can happen if something is posted then extra information is posted later on which adds to, or alters, the meaning of a previous post.

It can be very tempting, and ill judged, to reply to an early post without searching a multi-page thread for all the relevant information.

in the case of this thread i would say that its mainly down to FMs inventing their own version of events or deliberately misunderstanding for effect.
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

Not the case in this thread
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Joni M, I appreciate that. The thread only really took a negative turn towards the end when a few posters decided to get on their high horse and post a load of inaccurate comments which only made it clear to me that they hadn't read all of my posts. Unfortunately, it is the way of DS, you make a thread to share experiences and invite constructive comments but there are always the negative few who want to attack, sad fact of life I suppose.

This does seem to happen alot on this forum. Ive enjoyed this thread, lots of nice posts about childhood memories. You handled the situation entirely reasonably and responsibly.

Its called Knock and run here. I like bobby knocking as some mentioned earlier.
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    in the case of this thread i would say that its mainly down to FMs inventing their own version of events or deliberately misunderstanding for effect.

Thank you
    This does seem to happen alot on this forum. Ive enjoyed this thread, lots of nice posts about childhood memories. You handled the situation entirely reasonably and responsibly.

Its called Knock and run here. I like bobby knocking as some mentioned earlier.

Thank you
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Nope. Not every kid. I never did it. My husband never did it. My kids never did it.

You're with your kids 100% of the time? They never play out alone?
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Don't care whether anyone believes me or not (or adds a sarky doubtful 'hmmm'), but I have also never played this silly game, nor did any of my friends, neither have I ever experienced kids knocking at my door and running off.
This discussion has been closed.