Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »

Yeah, I remember the bad old days when the Williams were viewed with disdain and suspicion. I recall even the lovely Lindsay Davenport shading them in commentary at Wimbledon one year. Now that's all changed but I don't forget.:cool: I guess because Maria and Serena don't get on, this has accentuated the rivalry in my eyes particularly with some of Maria's fans comments about Serena. That sort of stuff really gets me down.:(

Well I've said it again and again, that you really shouldn't hold what a few idiot fans of someone, make your mind up about the person themselves. Serena fans on Twitter are incredibly vicious about Maria, yet it's not Serena's doing.

Maria's own forum did have unpleasant threads, and should have been moderated better. Yet let's face it, Maria isn't doing the modding herself, it was her peoples fault. Blimey she's got enough of them.

Siberian Siren is okay, no racism there and TBH they tend to hate Vika more than anyone. Definitely think Serena fans generally hate Maria, more than other way round nowadays.

Yet they're all fanatical idjits, so should anyone care?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Murray/Nadal final written all over the mens

Not sure after seeing Krygios play. He's certainly impressed me for a 19 year old. Great serve with powerful strokes. He has 76 aces in the competition so far. Just the type of player Rafa has problems with on grass.

I think there is a generational shift around the corner both in the mens and womens game.

What better way to announce your arrival than taking out the world number 1 at Wimbledon. Roger did it to Sampras.

His youth will be both an advantage and a problem. He has a very good game and the eagerness and fearlessness (with nothing to lose) will be a great help. The disadvantage will be his real lack of experience.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

As for the caption of Andrew Castle, :D remember seeing that caption as it was broadcast and could not believe they actually qualified in type his best effort at Queen's!!!

When I'm being kind, I say well that's a better achievement than any of mine. But then again, I'm not often kind.:p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Well I've said it again and again, that you really shouldn't hold what a few idiot fans of someone, make your mind up about the person themselves. Serena fans on Twitter are incredibly vicious about Maria, yet it's not Serena's doing.

Maria's own forum did have unpleasant threads, and should have been moderated better. Yet let's face it, Maria isn't doing the modding herself, it was her peoples fault. Blimey she's got enough of them.

Siberian Siren is okay, no racism there and TBH they tend to hate Vika more than anyone. Definitely think Serena fans generally hate Maria, more than other way round nowadays.

There's a few fanatical commentators on this forum too:o
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benjamini. totally off-topic (I used to be so bad with that when I posted regularly here...) but aren't you just chomping at the bit for tomorrow and the resumption of The Trial. I've missed my Nel fix something awful....:cry::D

Dipped my toe into the thread morning:D. Trial from 8.30 til 2, quick sandwich and a coffee and tennis til bed. I've just completely given up on any pretence at a life:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a few fanatical commentators on this forum too:o

There are, but at least it's properly modded, so we don't get the vile language and racism.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I know he is being touted as the new king in waiting. I have not seen him play, so is he looking like the real deal?

I've not seen enough of him to offer a meaningful opinion on his game, but he's got a great attitude, and when you look at what he's done against his age, you have to take him seriously.

Arguably, he's done a lot more at his current age than a lot of the highly touted players three of four years ahead of him managed did, but so far it's all promise. He still has the advantage of surprise over the rest of the tour. He's also a big lad, so that gives him extra power to compete with those older than him that bit younger.
  • Options
    Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    I like to watch her play but I haven't taken to her either. I think self assured is a good description. I was going to suggest smug, but that may be too harsh.

Maybe not too harsh as I was going to suggest smug also. :p
    I have to say I'm not a massive Bouchard fan, her recent attitude sucks and she's coming across as a bit of a brat. (Fed cup incident and Laura Robson coach thing)

I much prefer Simona Halep. I've warmed to her a lot lately, plus she has a much better attitude and doesn't come across like she's full of herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I hear what you're saying seannots...etc(!) but it can be difficult when you read really hurtful stuff that could equally be being said about yourself.:( I have no idea if Maria herself endorses(d) any of the views on her thread. No doubt she didn't but I don't know her so I can't say for sure. I guess in such a white-dominated sport, these things tend to stick out. It's like Hewitt's outburst a few years ago - really threw me cause I'd always liked him.

Anyway, I don't dislike Maria because of her fans. I just hate watching her with her shrieking. I also seriously don't get why she is the highest paid female athlete with endorsements. I don't think she's that attractive.....but then again, I'm no oil painting so maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself.:p
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon is only 2 weeks in a year. Surely the local residents could put up with a bit of disruption for a short period.

Money talks and property prices are high. The locals in Wimbledon village don't want middle Sunday play so it won't happen. Same with floodlights - it would upset them too given the brightness.

If Wimbledon was held in Dagenham you can bet there would be play on the middle Sunday and floodlights!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dipped my toe into the thread morning:D. Trial from 8.30 til 2, quick sandwich and a coffee and tennis til bed. I've just completely given up on any pretence at a life:o:D

Life? What is that exactly?:p I have the damned World Cup to fit in as well.....*sighs*.:D

Good thing about events in SA is that they like their adjournments and breaks.....;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's something I have never understood, the extreme feeling fans have for particular players.
    They all bring something to the game, especially at the level of the slams. I don't hate or dislike any players. Some are a it boring to watch , others I just cannot empathise with but other than that life's to short.
    Pretty much the same with the commentators. They mostly ramble on and on and are just fillers really. I often switch of the commentary .
    The only player it make an exception for is Andy. Know him since he was a wee boy and followed his career from the beginning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life? What is that exactly?:p I have the damned World Cup to fit in as well.....*sighs*.:D

Good thing about events in SA is that they like their adjournments and breaks.....;-)

I don't do football, but teen daughter now on holiday:o. Fortunately she likes tennis. Not quite as obsessively as me tho. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying seannots...etc(!) but it can be difficult when you read really hurtful stuff that could equally be being said about yourself.:( I have no idea if Maria herself endorses(d) any of the views on her thread. No doubt she didn't but I don't know her so I can't say for sure. I guess in such a white-dominated sport, these things tend to stick out. It's like Hewitt's outburst a few years ago - really threw me cause I'd always liked him.

Anyway, I don't dislike Maria because of her fans. I just hate watching her with her shrieking. I also seriously don't get why she is the highest paid female athlete with endorsements. I don't think she's that attractive.....but then again, I'm no oil painting so maybe I should keep my thoughts to myself.:p

Eye of the beholder and all that, we've had this discussion here before. I like tall women with a presence, poise and piercing eyes. She looked incredibly hot in the FO winning photo-shoot. I can certainly see why sponsors flock around her.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like watching Genie play and always thought she seemed like a nice girl, but since she got a taste of success it has definitely gone to her head. There is a difference between being self assured and arrogant, and the whole Fed Cup situation was shocking. Hopefully she will learn from it and grow up a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I've not seen enough of him to offer a meaningful opinion on his game, but he's got a great attitude, and when you look at what he's done against his age, you have to take him seriously.

Arguably, he's done a lot more at his current age than a lot of the highly touted players three of four years ahead of him managed did, but so far it's all promise. He still has the advantage of surprise over the rest of the tour. He's also a big lad, so that gives him extra power to compete with those older than him that bit younger.

Thanks,I intended to watch his matches but missed them. Looking forward to his next one. I know Pat Cash was singing his praises, and an article in the Telegraph was also saying he showed great promise.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    It's something I have never understood, the extreme feeling fans have for particular players.
    They all bring something to the game, especially at the level of the slams. I don't hate or dislike any players. Some are a it boring to watch , others I just cannot empathise with but other than that life's to short.
    Pretty much the same with the commentators. They mostly ramble on and on and are just fillers really. I often switch of the commentary .
    The only player it make an exception for is Andy. Know him since he was a wee boy and followed his career from the beginning.

I feel much the same way. I have a preference for watching some players over others mostly because they are exciting to watch, I don't really dislike any of them and wonder how some people develop such extreme feelings towards players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess sometimes it can just be the timing of the fandom. I've loved tennis since I was knee-high to a grasshopper but I've never been as obsessed with a player like I am with Rafa. But I know that this is because I started supporting him when I was going through a horrendous time in my life and somehow I latched onto him as a way of making myself feel better. I think that's what has happened to one of your regulars who is taking a break.

I loved Man Utd since I was 7 and their losses always upset me but I was more in control of my emotions because my life wasn't wrapped up in football. That said, I don't understand wishing ill on other players and abusing them in anyway. We're all just trying to do the best we can in life - whatever sphere we operate in.

The Commies drive me crazy at times with what I see to be their perceived bias. As the Americans would say "I get that" they will favour Murray but some of the fanboying is ridiculous. But then, if you're not praising Rafa - you must be pretty cr*p in my eyes!:blush:;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Couldn't agree more. I've said it before, but some people seem to see sports stars (and in other spheres) as characters in a TV show or Film, they want good and bad guys, but in the end they're real people with faults and strengths in themselves.

It becomes that some people just think someone can do no good, or no bad depending on whom they like. It's like Beliebers, it's just silly. Like Big Brother watchers in a way.

Of course you have your faves who you prefer, and those you aren't a big fan of. Vika annoys me a bit, but I'm glad she's back on tour because it adds to the drama.

I'm not a fan of Daveed or Errani because of their style of play, but they maybe perfectly pleasant people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like watching Genie play and always thought she seemed like a nice girl, but since she got a taste of success it has definitely gone to her head. There is a difference between being self assured and arrogant, and the whole Fed Cup situation was shocking. Hopefully she will learn from it and grow up a bit.

What did she do at the Fed Cup? It's not something I follow.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks,I intended to watch his matches but missed them. Looking forward to his next one. I know Pat Cash was singing his praises, and an article in the Telegraph was also saying he showed great promise.

As long as he doesn't show that promise on Tuesday, we should get on famously.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did she do at the Fed Cup? It's not something I follow.:confused:

This:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. I've said it before, but some people seem to see sports stars (and in other spheres) as characters in a TV show or Film, they want good and bad guys, but in the end they're real people with faults and strengths in themselves.

It becomes that some people just think someone can do no good, or no bad depending on whom they like. It's like Beliebers, it's just silly. Like Big Brother watchers in a way.

Of course you have your faves who you prefer, and those you aren't a big fan of. Vika annoys me a bit, but I'm glad she's back on tour because it adds to the drama.

I'm not a fan of Daveed or Errani because of their style of play, but they maybe perfectly pleasant people.

It's funny I've never been a particular fan of V Azrerenka then I saw her doing the Rally for Bally and she struck me as a real fun person. I had missed that aspect of her. How players are on court is often quite at odds with how they are off court. So we see the gritty ruthless unsmiling side of them and make judgements.
    I really like Marion Bartoli for her quirky unorthodox style.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Awww, how can you not love love Daveed? He's such a warrior (except for his comments after that defeat to Rafa in the FO). I totally love his spirit and think he's one of the few players who has maximised their talent and then some.

I also, rather controversially, like John Isner. Why? Not because of his style of play (I hate Servebots) but because every interview of his I've seen and everyone who has commented on him, say he's a real stand-up guy. The kinda guy you'd want to take home to meet your mother. I know that has nothing to do with tennis but when you watch these guys for up to 10 hours a day, knowing that they are nice people helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as he doesn't show that promise on Tuesday, we should get on famously.:cool:

I will be supporting Rafa. I'm old and reluctant to see those I have followed for years go down to the youngsters. Was gutted for Serena yesterday. :(
    These youngsters need to be tested by fire :D
This discussion has been closed.