Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that Oswald had been established long ago by JFK researchers to have only shot Officer Tippitt. He was seen elsewhere in the book depository at the time of the assassination.
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    You really should go for it - it's a huge amount of fun to do, if you go in with the right attitude. To tackle a few things people have mentioned recently:

Yes, in my opinion the next series won't be as hard as this one. Though I can think of one particular question that will make you all go, "Oh come on, that's just impossible."

The Iain M. Banks question was probably unrelated to his death. The current series must have been filmed in about January - we filmed in early May for the next series, which will be broadcast from September.

Please stop going on about the size of Victoria Coren-Mitchell's breasts
    (we had enough of that from one of our teammates in Cardiff!)

She seems to take a starring role in the programme, and someone (whether it's her or an editor) wants to squeeze her into the tightest clothing.

Perhaps if she didn't promote her attributes as much (and she has toned down since she became VCM), there would be fewer comments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    How did they not get the anagrams?

That's terrible play for a final.

Because it's huge odds of picking 4 from 6 (help, please mathematicians!!)

I believe it's 6 factorial divided by 4 factorial times 2 factorial ... which is about 120-1?
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    How did they not get the anagrams?

That's terrible play for a final.

There were six answers - that's fifteen possible groups. Time-consuming and tough, under pressure, to keep track of which you've done. I don't think it was unreasonable to look for other groups to narrow it down first.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    There were six answers - that's fifteen possible groups. Time-consuming and tough, under pressure, to keep track of which you've done. I don't think it was unreasonable to look for other groups to narrow it down first.

I think it's 30 groups actually, but for a point in a low-scoring final, where nothing else obvious was jumping out at them, then one of the team absolutely had to be working through the possible combinations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Because it's huge odds of picking 4 from 6 (help, please mathematicians!!)

I believe it's 6 factorial divided by 4 factorial times 2 factorial ... which is about 120-1?

What do you mean 120-1?

They get as many guesses as they want, not just one. I believe there are 30 possible options, which in the circumstances, one of them should have been working through. I certainly was when I played the wall beforehand online, and I was playing by myself, not in a team of three.
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    What do you mean 120-1?

They get as many guesses as they want, not just one. I believe there are 30 possible options, which in the circumstances, one of them should have been working through. I certainly was when I played the wall beforehand online, and I was playing by myself, not in a team of three.

The order of the items isn't important so we want combinations, not permutations. Drawing r items from n things has n!/(n-r)!r! combinations so 6!/4!/2! which is (6x5)/2 or 15.
  • Options
    the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria announced at the end of tonight's show, that OC is moving to BBC 2 from series 10! Stick it on after University Challenge when it comes back and we'll have the Monday quiz hour! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean 120-1?

ukcarter wrote: »
    The order of the items isn't important so we want combinations, not permutations. Drawing r items from n things has n!/(n-r)!r! combinations so 6!/4!/2! which is (6x5)/2 or 15.

And this is what is great about DS.

Thank you very much, ukcarter, for explaining the maths ... it was a long time ago for me, and you have educated me!!

As for the other comment, well, that added nothing to my education, but merely to my opinion of the author
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »

Yeah, you are right, it's 15, not 30. That makes it even worse than I first thought that they didn't work through them!!!
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria announced at the end of tonight's show, that OC is moving to BBC 2 from series 10! Stick it on after University Challenge when it comes back and we'll have the Monday quiz hour! :D

Got a feeling that's what may happen, schedule-wise.
    If not after UC, perhaps after Mastermind.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    The problem with this question is that the uniqueness of countries' English names last letters is not something that anybody really ever thinks about, or particularly wants to. Is it possible that it is only in the esoteric world of professional quizzing you ever get asked questions such as "Which is the only country that ends with an 'h'?" because you have to come up with ever more obscure trivia to try to separate the top few, and that when it translates to a popular tv quiz nobody else actually gives a damn?

Similar example with tonight's question with the first four countries arranged alphabetically. This to me is another of these "so what" facts that only gets learned by rote by professional quizzers, and isn't particularly useful or interesting to know otherwise. Ah well, it helped get them their win.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes only connect is dire
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a good programme on BBC2 about how the University Challenge teams are selected, second part tomorrow.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Yes! I correctly guessed Italian names for German Cities.:)

Come on, teams - Berlino.
    So what do they call Monaco then?
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, if that goes out on BBC2 it will be finished.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Very poor series winners again, following on from the last winners.

Something unlikeable about the team captain.

I thought we were told the team going 2nd on the wall don't get to see the 1st team's attempt on their wall? They do going by the captain's comment upon seeing their wall.
  • Options
    davidboddavidbod Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    No, "we've got anagrams again" was referring to their earlier heat where they had anagrams in their wall. The second team never sees the first team play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »
    I was under the impression that Oswald had been established long ago by JFK researchers to have only shot Officer Tippitt. He was seen elsewhere in the book depository at the time of the assassination.

OMG, no he wasn't. Sorry but the conspiracy theories have been debunked. Time to get real. Oswald did it.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    She seems to take a starring role in the programme, and someone (whether it's her or an editor) wants to squeeze her into the tightest clothing.

Perhaps if she didn't promote her attributes as much (and she has toned down since she became VCM), there would be fewer comments

In VCMs defence - she's a fairly short, slim woman with ample assets. Any dress which isn't so tight across the upper body will be tent-like from the waist down (and likely too long). Any dress which fits her hips & waist will then be tight across the chest. It's not entirely VCMs fault.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »

Something unlikeable about the team captain.

I thought we were told the team going 2nd on the wall don't get to see the 1st team's attempt on their wall? They do going by the captain's comment upon seeing their wall.
    Haven't they given both teams the same wall in the final in the past?
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first wall was completely impossible to my mind... I didn't even get close. I just sat there staring at it! The second however I solved in under 45 seconds.

Once you know there's anagrams in there with a few extra options (5 or 6) then you can start looking for the ones that are likely the red herrings. You need only pair one with another group, even before you know what all that group is.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was sneaky to have a poker term as one of the words in the wall. I got the "card" connection easily but had never hear of a hole card.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    So what do they call Monaco then?

Principato di Monaco

So, if you're an Italian traveller, you'll need to be specific with your travel agent. Or you'll end up like that lass who went to Grenada instead of Granada.
  • Options
    Suitcase BeraoSuitcase Berao Posts: 6,078
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »

Agreed, this years winners would have struggled to win their first game in some of the earliest series.

A quiz that I used to once enjoy has sadly had it's day in my view, and I'm not holding out much hope with the move to BBC2.