Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another widely held interpretation of the lyrics to 'The Day Before You Came' is that Agnetha's voice is that of her own ghost, pitifully detailing the minutiae of her daily life which she has carried out a thousand times before, and oblivious to the fact she is undertaking these mundane duties (which naturally she takes for granted) for the very last time as the 'You' in the title is not her lover but a sadistic killer (possibly a stalker) who is going to end her life brutally within the next 24 hours. I think the creepy synthesiser (or is it an eerie vocal harmony?) in the background adds weight to this theory.

Never heard that before. Seems extremely unlikely to me.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better just point out that according to the EPG and online listings, tonight's late showing is now later (1.45-2.25am) than the time shown in printed listings magazines. I only noticed because I originally set up my recording nearly a week ago, but now the timings no longer match with the EPG.

Curiously, Saturday's late showing still appears in a half hour slot, so tonight may be the only showing for the full-length edition.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Tonight we get 2/8/79 which is the last one before a four week blackout due to Yewtree and a strike, next week is Sky At Night and in two weeks the Proms start when TOTP would be moving to Wednesdays to make way, surely the timing of the lengthy Yewtree blackout would be a good idea to take the extra breaks now rather than wait until November just to keep up with the timeline because we will be five weeks ahead if they decide to show 30/8/79 in two weeks time.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight we get 2/8/79 which is the last one before a four week blackout due to Yewtree and a strike, next week is Sky At Night and in two weeks the Proms start when TOTP would be moving to Wednesdays to make way, surely the timing of the lengthy Yewtree blackout would be a good idea to take the extra breaks now rather than wait until November just to keep up with the timeline because we will be five weeks ahead if they decide to show 30/8/79 in two weeks time.

Savile seemed to be on cover duties by 1979, he'd cover the more regular jocks holidays in the summer then largely disappear again. This does mean the running of the show is disrupted, but I couldn't stomach seeing Savile again and I know the BBC would be in serious trouble if they showed a Savile TOTP.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many Tony fanboys on the POTP thread rather than music fans. As has been pointed out there recently they have played a chart with GG at Number 2 and just not played that song, so not as off limits as you claim. Maybe a bit more difficult if he was Number 1.

I have a recording of one of Dales's shows from about 2005. It features a chart from summer 1973. Glitter was at number two but they skipped the record.

And yes, I do like listening to Tony's shows whatever station he is on.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to tonight's show. Won't be more exciting than the fact that Andy Partridge has just asked me a question about TOTP on Twitter. :D
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like a good one tonight. Missed last week but the line-up didn't look that great.
  • FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, is that another week gone!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight's show. Won't be more exciting than the fact that Andy Partridge has just asked me a question about TOTP on Twitter. :D

Wow! Tell him he has fans on here! :)
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »

What did he ask you? :cool:
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all ;-) Back to the big screen for the countdown after two weeks of that little box...
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Peter Powell is wearing a not too dissimilar suit to what my dad wore on his and mum's wedding day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggested that he should time the release of the 5.1 version of Drums & Wires with the appearance of Making Plans For Nigel on TOTP - he said he hasn't been watching them, and asked whether Savile is being edited out.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI all..
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,764
    Forum Member
    I wonder if Jimmy Pursey drew those eyebrows on with a magic marker?
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the Dooleys song was by someone with even an ounce of cool, it's be OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a future-dated cover version of OMD's "Tesla Girls"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punk rock becomes pub rock for Sham 69 here.
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this edition with Peter Powel, I remember him saying, this is the sound of summer while introducing The Korgis.

Or maybe the edition from 2 weeks later I love watching the pops from 79:)
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Come on Jimmy. Sing it like you mean it.
  • FB1969FB1969 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love a good shout-along!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cockney cowboys...from Surrey.

Never worked that one out
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell??

Was this from the god-awful Joan Collins film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    I remember this edition with Peter Powel, I remember him saying, this is the sound of summer while introducing The Korgis.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that edited tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olympic Runners providing disco 1976 in 1979. They even look 3 years previous.
This discussion has been closed.