Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    So you are an ex mobile DJ and an ex radio DJ. I bet you can't point is to a sample of your work.

On another of your posts you say you are about to retire from your job after twenty five years. I take it you are not about to leave the BBC, Global or anyone of that ilk. Anyway, what does working in radio prove about your musical knowledge. You just have to listen to Sara Cox to hear how out of depth she is.

You have got to go searching through old posts to find out about me so sad! for your info I have had to retire from my work due to ill-health , I done Broadcasting part-time like so many other presenters on radio stations, done mobile discos for years , done club work too.

You just show how immature you are with your sarcastic comments and having to go through my old posts so you can have cheap digs at me.

You have just showed yourself up to me and many others reading this thread your like the kid in the pram throwing his toys out! .

Its not just me you are having a go at Sara Cox is getting it too you sound like the pub bore in my local!
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    You have got to go searching through old posts to find out about me so sad! for your info I have had to retire from my work due to ill-health , I done Broadcasting part-time like so many other presenters on radio stations, done mobile discos for years , done club work too.

You just show how immature you are with your sarcastic comments and having to go through my old posts so you can have cheap digs at me.

You have just showed yourself up to me and many others reading this thread your like the kid in the pram throwing his toys out! .

Its not just me you are having a go at Sara Cox is getting it too you sound like the pub bore in my local!

LOL..............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In two weeks time Tony will be playing 1979 and 1986.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I'm heartily sick and tired of it, a clapped out repetitive formula, nothing to do with finding genuine talents, and simply a vehicle for a soap opera narrative between the damned tedious judging panel. Just how many years more for God's sake?

To a degree, i feel like that about The Voice, too. I think again, this show too appears desperately contrived, although to give the show credit, it doesn't really rely on the judges staged comments and squabbles, to acquire its audience. The mentoring of the acts again seems totally unnecessary to me, along with the soap opera sob stories, which exists, although The Voice, when it started, claimed to be very different from the X-Factor. The show initially was described as a show that put the emphasis squarely on 'the voice' and not all the more superficial trappings that are meant to go with it. However, this isn't really true. Also none of the winners seem to have been successful.

Time to start afresh, i believe !
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In two weeks time Tony will be playing 1979 and 1986.
    I'll definitely listen in to that one. 1979 is one of my all time favourite years for the charts and I have fond memories of summer 1986 so it will be good to hear a few of the singles that were in the chart at the time.

Speaking of 1986, tomorrow (12 July) will be 28 years ago to the day since Queen played their famous Wembley concert, almost a year to the day (13 July 1985) after they rocked Live Aid. I was living near Wembley in 1986 and the sound of the concert was literally blowing in the wind and I was able to hear parts of the concert from the garden at the back of the house I was living in. I also remember seeing those large inflatable figures floating above the stadium in the evening sky.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, looking forward to these shows, especially 1986 If 1979 is July the 22 chart, I've listened to that so many times I know at least the top 10 positions off by heart!
    I'm glad there's some good retro charts on mixcloud to plug the POTP gap for me this week.
  • Options
    Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to hearing 1957 and 1968 tomorrow. I see the 1957 chart is the exact one featured in July 2012 though.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL..............

Someone writes that they had to give up their job because of ill health and you reply "LOL"? Just what sort of a person are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian 57 wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing 1957 and 1968 tomorrow. I see the 1957 chart is the exact one featured in July 2012 though.

All the charts to choose from and they repeat one they played two years ago? Absolutely ridiculous. Maybe time for Phil the Collector to let someone else take over who knows what they're doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the charts to choose from and they repeat one they played two years ago? Absolutely ridiculous. Maybe time for Phil the Collector to let someone else take over who knows what they're doing.

Like you for instance ..... NOT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian 57 wrote: »

I am looking toward to this, it should be one of the best shows ever. 1968 is a great chart.

I don't think we will get much activity on this forum tomorrow though. Most people on here can't relate to anything earlier than about 1978.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like you for instance ..... NOT

Very witty ... NOT
  • Options
    mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I am looking toward to this, it should be one of the best shows ever. 1968 is a great chart.

I don't think we will get much activity on this forum tomorrow though. Most people on here can't relate to anything earlier than about 1978.

Agree. My interests are 77-89. I've no really affection for the 90's either.
  • Options
    Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone writes that they had to give up their job because of ill health and you reply "LOL"? Just what sort of a person are you?

It's hard to say where some of the comments recently have crossed the line, or even where the line is or should be, but I have to post to say that, for me, this post is the wrong side of the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. It's a great shame when we finally go back to the 50s to repeat a chart that POTP did only 2 years ago,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is a shame (again), but I also think this is the case.
  • Options
    PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet you can't point is to a sample of your work.

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people on here can't relate to anything earlier than about 1978.

I'd say 1973-1990 is about my favourite range of years with the 1980s being my favourites. Although I can just about tolerate hearing say Sixties charts, I really wouldn't appreciate hearing anything Nineties
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI all - 1957 and 1968 today - may not be able to find charts for hour 1.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    mailmos98 wrote: »
    Agree. My interests are 77-89. I've no really affection for the 90's either.

I'm with you on this one, really no interest in 1957 at all to be honest.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm currently listening to and enjoying the 1957 chart.....with my mum, who is really enjoying it's surprisingly sharp quality via DAB radio. She actually bought her first record a few months later towards the end of 1957, that year's festive No1 by Harry Belafonte.
    It's hard to say where some of the comments recently have crossed the line, or even where the line is or should be, but I have to post to say that, for me, this post is the wrong side of the line.

I agree Apprentice, let's keep the quality of posts on here up to the standard they normally are and not let this descend into niggly tit for tat asides. We all have differing opinions and can debate them without abuse surely? I don't want to read petty thread squabbles and if Tony is continuing to read this POTP thread I'm sure he doesn't either.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A historic 1957 chart then today. The first UK singles chart that Elvis ever topped.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hour 2 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1968-07-13/

TOTP -
    11-7-68: Presenter: Alan Freeman (Wiped)

(1) THE EQUALS – Baby Come Back (and charts)
    (NEW) THE KINKS – Days
    (17) THE MONKEES – D.W. Washburn (video)
    (14) JOHN ROWLES – Hush… Not A Word To Mary
    (7) THE OHIO EXPRESS – Yummy Yummy Yummy (crowd dancing)
    (5) CUPID’S INSPIRATION – Yesterday Has Gone ®
    (3) DES O'CONNOR – I Pretend ®
    (NEW) THE SMALL FACES – Universal
    (11) TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS – Mony Mony (video)
    (1) THE EQUALS – Baby Come Back ®
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1968 sounding great. Top joke about the cake in the rain