Options

BCG Vaccination

CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
Forum Member
✭✭
I didnt realise that not everyone is offered this injection in secondary school now, my son brought home a letter from school today asking me questions about whether he had been out of the country for 1 month or more and where i was born and my parents were born and a whole list of countries on the back of high TB incidence countries. Just find it interesting that its no longer a routine vaccination.

Comments

• Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it changed a few years back, my older son who is 20 had the vaccination, my younger son is 2 years younger didn't!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 21 and I had it! :D

How come it's not offered to everyone any more?
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm 21 and I had it! :D

How come it's not offered to everyone any more?
    To save money basically. I think it has been decided that incidents of TB in the UK are low enough that it isn't worth mass-vacinating everyone at school any more.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol i just had a lil check to see if I still have my bcg scar. yup, still there.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    lol i just had a lil check to see if I still have my bcg scar. yup, still there.

I never got a scar with my BCG \o/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I was also surprised, my older brother who is two years older than me has had it but when I got to secondary school I was told I didn't need it. I avoid vaccinations at all costs.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm 20 and haven't had it but in a way I'm kinda glad as I have a phobia about needles and tend to wince or panic at the very thought of needing a vaccination. In fact I'm wincing now typing this.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »

I kinda mighta went surfing like 2 days after, bcg plus neoprene plus shitty salt water equals massive healing fail. :o

Oh well, is probly the last scar anyone would notice upon me :(
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had it at my school (I'm 32) although I went to a special school where a lot of us (including myself) had breathing problems so it was quite important.

More recently with that new cervical cancer jab they are giving to girls, I was rather alarmed that when my then 12 year old daughter was given it, before administering the jab, the nurse asked if there was any possibility that she could be pregnant!

She just replied "I'M ONLY TWELVE!"

More worringly however, my other daughter (a year older) did not get her one until later as she goes to a special school, and (in Leicester anyway) they were not included in the roll out of that vaccine. She only got hers after we spoke to our GP.
  • Options
    DiscoPantsDiscoPants Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »

Mine's still there too! How come an injection can give you a scar that big for life?
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That jab hurt like hell. I was 15 when I got it, I can't really remember getting it but I know I was swearing all the way through it :o:o:o the shame
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoPants wrote: »
    Mine's still there too! How come an injection can give you a scar that big for life?
    Because it injected a fairly substantial dose of the TB virus in to that spot on your arm.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it in 2nd year... About age 14.

Think it was stopped as TB was on the decrease so now it's only given to people at higher risk such as immigrant families from countries where it is still common.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »

i didnt get a scar either, i suppose it is too expensive to vaccinate everyone now.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my son just got his 2 weeks ago and only because he's started working in a hospital
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when i was at school it was mandatory to be offered the BCG when they came around i happened to be off school sick and i missed it, Last year while having my vaccinations for Hepititus B they did a test on my arm to see if i needed my TB injection,
    a few days past, i went back to see the results No i did not need it i was protected, Reason is my grandfather had TB and i was very close to him,so in a way he gave me the protection.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    My test reacted but only slightly so they only gave me a small dose of the vaccinne and I only got a very small scar that is virtually imperceptible now.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son is 22 and didn't have the BCG injection. I enquired about it at my doctor's and also the hospital when he was 15 and hadn't been offered it and both said that it wasn't given as a routine injection anymore.

Considering that was 7 years ago, it must have been stopped here much earlier than in most other places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    I didn't need mine as my 6-stamp stayed up :)

I'm strong enough to fight TB but not tonsilitus, go figure.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was such a baby at school (weird, considering I was in every sports team going) that I told my mum I didn't want it, so never had the injection, that was over 20 years ago and I think I was the only one in my class that didn't apart from a girl who passed the pre-inj test.
  • Options
    blackmagicblackmagic Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one at school. I think when I was about 10 or 11. Left a scar and lump on my arm!

But yeh it's not part of the routine childhood immunisations anymore. Only offered to those considered high at risk, e.g. baby born to immigrant parents from high risk areas such as Africa and South-East Asia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I had it in 2nd year... About age 14.

Think it was stopped as TB was on the decrease so now it's only given to people at higher risk such as immigrant families from countries where it is still common.

My seven year old, born in Glasgow, did not have it. My 15 month old, born in East London, did. I never had it in the States but we were often tested for it. I'm not going to bother getting my eldest a jab for it.

It's offered to anyone who may live in a high-immigrant area (or near Heathrow for some reason), not just immigrants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    My seven year old, born in Glasgow, did not have it. My 15 month old, born in East London, did. I never had it in the States but we were often tested for it. I'm not going to bother getting my eldest a jab for it.

It's offered to anyone who may live in a high-immigrant area (or near Heathrow for some reason), not just immigrants.

We're referring to the BCG which you get at age 11-13? :)
  • Options
    MagwashMagwash Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never got a BCG vaccination, they stopped giving it in my area for a couple of years, and I missed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was supposed to have in Year 7 but didn't after having reaction to the first test. For some reason the school waited three and half years to try again - I did get the vaccination that time around.