Is The Chase Fixed

2»

Comments

• Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    Didn't Shaun Wallace answer that the Simpsons were blue on the charity edition?

He did, yeah.

Pretty suspicious but Shaun does get mental blocks sometimes and get easy questions wrong. There are also far easier ways to fix the charity addition than to get a chaser to answer a question in a way that has everyone going 'fix'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife, who was an avid fan of The Chase, has stopped watching it, because she thought the Chaser's were getting easy questions wrong on a regular basis recently.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    I

As for what people have said about celebrity editions of quiz shows being dumbed down - have you seen Celebrity Eggheads? They have a ten-episode series every Christmas. That is quite good, because it doesn't appear to be dumbed down at all - the questions are as hard as usual, and the Eggheads are on top of their game like they are on the usual programme. I only watched one series, but I don't think there was ever an episode where the celebrities beat the Eggheads that time.

I managed to catch an episode over xmas and I remember being suspisious of some of the eggheads who got some questions wrong which seemed pretty easy.

It's a shame, but the stage managed culture exposed by the permium rate scandal seems to remain. Ok, it may not be illegal, but it devalues the show.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I managed to catch an episode over xmas and I remember being suspisious of some of the eggheads who got some questions wrong which seemed pretty easy.

Can you give an example of that? I didn't see the most recent series, I saw the series before. There was never an occasion where the celebrities won in the series that I saw. In the end, the BBC donated the £10,000 which had accumulated to Children In Need, because no one was able to donate to their own charity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    As a former contestant on The Chase i am as confident as it is possible to be that there is NO fix.

ITV employ independent adjudicators from a company called "Beyond Dispute" and their staff are on hand throughout the recording.

As previously stated they prepare two sets of questions and one of the team pick which set to use.

Additionally (and i have been contacted by ITV for this) they test out the questions they are looking to use in future programmes.

They asked me 40 questions over the phone. They told me that Beyond Dispute had said that as I had done well on the Cash Builder ( I got £12K) they expected me to get about 80% right - I actually got 34 so slightly more than 80%. They said they were testing out the difficulty level of the questions against good performers, average performers and poor performers from pervious series, and the adjudicators had indicated what kind of scores from the testers should be expected.

Beyond Dispute are a highly respectable and reputable company, and I cannot for one second imagine them colluding with ITV to fix the results.

It is true that they do not broadcast the shows in the order they are recorded. "My" programme was recorded as programme number 43 in the series but went out as number 22.

Don't forget that The Chasers are there for a reason - they are very very clever!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i don't believe its fixed, I think the chase is the best concept and fairest quiz/game show around at the moment.

The problem is when we're actually watching it we are tut-tutting at "what uses a helipad" and "what's bobbed at halloween" and quickly forget the questions which the chasers know that we (or I) have never even heard of.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    No way! it's the other way around, Bradley speeds through the questions for the contestants and go's slower for the chaser, especially when they get one right and he is like 'corrrrrrrect'
    I also think if the contestants are allowed to push the chaser back, then, if they get the question wrong, the chaser should be pushed forwards.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    xashfordx wrote: »
    No way! it's the other way around, Bradley speeds through the questions for the contestants and go's slower for the chaser, especially when they get one right and he is like 'corrrrrrrect'
    I also think if the contestants are allowed to push the chaser back, then, if they get the question wrong, the chaser should be pushed forwards.

So if the chaser gets it wrong they still benefit if the team don't know? Surely if neither know neither should benefit as it is now
  • Paul_MearsPaul_Mears Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Well you can judge for yourselves. Next time you watch the show the first rounds are all ok but it is the final I am suspicious about. Do the chasers questions appear shorter than the contestants questions?, Does the host go faster for the chaser than the contestants and also watch the clock carefully when it is restarted after the chaser gets an answer wrong. Sometimes it may be up to 2 seconds before restarting even though the host has began asking the next question for the Chaser.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Paul_Mears wrote: »
    Well you can judge for yourselves. Next time you watch the show the first rounds are all ok but it is the final I am suspicious about. Do the chasers questions appear shorter than the contestants questions?, Does the host go faster for the chaser than the contestants and also watch the clock carefully when it is restarted after the chaser gets an answer wrong. Sometimes it may be up to 2 seconds before restarting even though the host has began asking the next question for the Chaser.

Well the contestants choose question set A or B so no. As for the rest i am sure it is monitored. There have been blips on screen when they have had to reshoot a question etc..And clock watching often makes a second 'seem' longer when it isn't
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Really missing The Chase can't stand this new show.:(
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really missing The Chase can't stand this new show.:(
    Yeah a bit naff isn't it.