Options

How to keep underarms from looking wet on a shy 13yr old.

juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
Forum Member
My 13yr old daughter has a problem sweating in her under arms in hot weather(hormones!) Nothing massive, she is not dripping wet there and she never smells but unfortunately her school uniform includes a pale blue shirt which shows up sweat clearly. She is mortified by all this. Has anybody experience of this and a solution for reducing the wet look?
Spray on antiperspirants that she has tried so far haven't helped. If they wore a white shirt it would be a lot easier to deal with.
The fact that she is shy doesn't help matters and she ends up wearing her blazer all day. When she is forced to take it off for cookery or woodwork , she keeps her elbows pinned to her hips and only moves her forearms like some demented Darleck impersonator :eek:
Anybody any advice on how to help her and stop the wetness showing?

Comments

• Options
    MitzygMitzyg Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Yes my daughter exactly the same - including the pale blue shirt and blazer! She wears a vest top, i always said surely that makes you hotter, she said not really but the sweat gets more absorbed in the vest rather than the shirt.

It was also trial and error with the anti-perspirant, the expensiver ones do work better. Like £5/6 a pop rather than the one that was on offer that I usually got for myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have that, I use a roll on and spray.

Best ones I've found are Mitchum ones, roll on first- let it dry. Then mitchum spray.

Also found the black/pink Rightguard stuff quite good too (am using at moment as Mitchum hasn't been on offer recently). Same as with Mitchum- roll on first then spray.

If I'm going somewhere hot and I'm anxious about it I try to take a spare top with me, just in case. Although that said- since I've been using roll on and spray I've not needed to.

Also might be worth a trip to the doctors- they can prescribe a proper hardcore one, she'll get free prescriptions as she's a child won't she? So definitely worth trying the docs.

Good luck, I know how upsetting it can be so hopefully she finds a fix ASAP.

Eta - http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Right-Guard-Xtreme-Women-Invisible-Anit-Perspirant-Deodorant-150ml_1297643/ this is the rightguard that I find really works (both the roll on and spray)

Men's deodorants also seem to work a lot better, problem is I've not found one that doesn't stink.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I think the vest/T shirt underneath is the fix - lots of men wear one for this very reason. Bless her, not the easiest of age at the best of times and things like this can appear huge hurdles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have a look at something called Perspirex. It's in big branches of Boots. My hubby uses it and its fantastic for stopping excess perspiration. BUT I'm not sure if its suitable for younger skin.

You apply it at night and wash it off the following morning.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be a recognized medical problem called hyperhidrosis? I have this and get a super strong antiperspirant on prescription for it. I get it armpits, and my torso. Very embarrassing.
    Mitchum is ok as well if you don't have the time or she is unwilling to visit gp.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May sound silly but have you considered trying some thin sanitary towels in the armpits! I got this tip from someone for job inteviews, it was priceless to me as I perspire terribly!
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at something called Perspirex. It's in big branches of Boots. My hubby uses it and its fantastic for stopping excess perspiration. BUT I'm not sure if its suitable for younger skin.

You apply it at night and wash it off the following morning.

I was going to suggest something like this. I have always suffered from excess sweating since being a kid and my mum is a dermatology nurse and suggested I use the roll on and it works a treat.
  • Options
    MitzygMitzyg Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I have that, I use a roll on and spray.

Best ones I've found are Mitchum ones, roll on first- let it dry. Then mitchum spray.

Also found the black/pink Rightguard stuff quite good too (am using at moment as Mitchum hasn't been on offer recently). Same as with Mitchum- roll on first then spray.

Yes the Mitchum is good, the pink one doesn't really smell that nice.

I bought the black/pink right guard over the holidays and my daughter likes it but she hasn't had it on with the school shirt so how it copes in all the school layers could be different
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter suffered the same problem. From the age of 12. I brought her perspirex from Boots which she applies at night. It did make her skin feel a bit sore at first but she preferred that to the wet patches under her arms which mortified her
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a big thread on here a while ago about underarm perspiration pads - little pads you can buy especially for this purpose.HERE is the thread.
    Hope that helps.

You can buy them online - just search 'underarm pads' or 'perspiration pads'.
  • Options
    shoppingqueenshoppingqueen Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I had this really badly as a teenager and the strongest probably available without a prescription is Mitchum. You can ask your Dr for prescription one's. I used to use one called Driclor. Having a look online I think you can get without prescription now but from chemists only.

The more professional one's were horrible, you put them on the night before and they irritated my armpits and sometimes stained or bleached my nightwear, however I would be dry for about 48 hours after it. They 100% worked but had horrible side effects or usage instructions.

These days I think I got health problems by blocking the pores so much under the arm pits! These days I use the crystal one's that you get wet and are natural. I am not sure they are a solution for excessive sweating though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    May sound silly but have you considered trying some thin sanitary towels in the armpits! I got this tip from someone for job inteviews, it was priceless to me as I perspire terribly!

Wouldn't they be quite noticeable? (Even the thin types) and also pretty evident, especially if she's wearing a short sleeve shirt? I think the best option is to take some wipes and use them regularly and dab down with a flannel after, and then a quick spray of antiperspirant. They can easily be kept in a school bag and used in a quick trip to the loo. If its really bad, then a trip to the GP may be needed. Poor thing, bet she feels very self conscious.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't they be quite noticeable? (Even the thin types) and also pretty evident, especially if she's wearing a short sleeve shirt? I think the best option is to take some wipes and use them regularly and dab down with a flannel after, and then a quick spray of antiperspirant. They can easily be kept in a school bag and used in a quick trip to the loo. If its really bad, then a trip to the GP may be needed. Poor thing, bet she feels very self conscious.

They aren't when I wear them but then again, I'm a grown man! It was just a thought!
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    My 13yr old daughter has a problem sweating in her under arms in hot weather(hormones!) Nothing massive, she is not dripping wet there and she never smells but unfortunately her school uniform includes a pale blue shirt which shows up sweat clearly. She is mortified by all this. Has anybody experience of this and a solution for reducing the wet look?
    Spray on antiperspirants that she has tried so far haven't helped. If they wore a white shirt it would be a lot easier to deal with.
    The fact that she is shy doesn't help matters and she ends up wearing her blazer all day. When she is forced to take it off for cookery or woodwork , she keeps her elbows pinned to her hips and only moves her forearms like some demented Darleck impersonator :eek:
    Anybody any advice on how to help her and stop the wetness showing?

As a bloke, what I do to stop damp marks (and stains from anti-perspirants damaging shirts) is to wear a plain white tshirt underneath my work shirts - even when it's 30C in the office...

Is there something fitting in cotton that's a tshirt shape and supportive that your daughter could wear under her blouse in lieu of a bra?
  • Options
    AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm female and have had this problem since puberty - nearly 40 yrs.
    Tried Mitchum but found they stained clothing after a while. Best general one I've found is Sure maximum protection which is a "TRIsolid cream" you apply like a stick .Cost around £5.
    I use the clean fresh scent one (blue writing on the box) and apply in the morning rather than at night.
    Keep meaning to try one of those really strong ones but put off by the reports of sore armpits.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your help.

You've given us plenty to try. :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something avaialble on prescription. Its a roll-on thing, Its brilliant, but I cant remember the name sorry!

Why not wear a small t-shirt underneath the shirt. Will help
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Wear another t-shirt underneath the school shirt. That way the sweat will get soaked up in that before it reaches the uniform.
  • Options
    Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Odaban.

Fortunately I have now grown out of this problem, but it was especially bad when I was a teenager. I tried all sorts of things including prescription stuff.

This was the best by a long way. It f*ing hurt if I used it incorrectly, but the results were worth the pain :)