London Dungeon

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just booked online for me and my son to visit while in London on Tuesday, paying for a combination ticket for this and the London Eye. As my son wants to go on the Eye when it's dark, I was planning on going after the Dungeon visit.

Availability was pretty limited so I've had to book a 5pm entrance ticket. Our last train home is 9pm from Euston.

I've read all kinds of horror stories on Trip Advisor about the massive queues, even if you have pre-booked.

I'm now worried about the queues and anxious that we won't have enough time to do the full Dungeon tour and the Eye.

Is it right that there are long queues when you've pre-booked? Can anyone share their experiences of the place, as the Trip Advisor reviews are mixed, to say the least.

Thanks

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never done the London Eye but have been in the Dungeon which is great. I don't think you have left yourself enough time to do 2 big attractions to be honest. You will be several hours at the Dungeon and you will have to queue to get in even with prebooking. I would try to go on the Eye in the morning/lunchtime. I'm told the Eye is better in daylight anyway.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I've never done the London Eye but have been in the Dungeon which is great. I don't think you have left yourself enough time to do 2 big attractions to be honest. You will be several hours at the Dungeon and you will have to queue to get in even with prebooking. I would try to go on the Eye in the morning/lunchtime. I'm told the Eye is better in daylight anyway.

I still need to queue to pick up my tickets though, so would have to queue twice as the tickets for both attractions are collectable from the Dungeon. I've been on the Eye during the daylight and in darkness, so don't really have a preference but I'm now thinking I perhaps need to do the Eye first, but queuing twice at the Dungeon is putting me off slightly as I don't want to waste our whole day there.

On the website, it says to allow 90 minutes for the full tour but I obviously didn't take queuing time into consideration when it stated a specific entrance time. I'd have booked through the London Eye but combination tickets were almost £20 more through their website.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dungeon tour lasts 90 minutes...plus your queue time, the Eye about 30 minutes plus queue time. Never done the dungeon so don't know how long the queues are. Have done the Eye, the queue in July was about 30 minutes as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The dungeon tour lasts 90 minutes...plus your queue time, the Eye about 30 minutes plus queue time. Never done the dungeon so don't know how long the queues are. Have done the Eye, the queue in July was about 30 minutes as well.

That's a thought, I've never had to queue for that before but then I've not been in school holidays. Definitely now going to go straight over there when we arrive, pick up tickets (hopefully queues not as big when it first opens), go on the Eye and then go back for the Dungeons at 4.30-ish.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I doubt you will have time to do the Dungeon at 5pm then get to the Eye in rush hour and back to Euston for 9pm. Not impossible but tight.

Of course you have probably picked the worst week to go to the Dungeon in terms of crowds ie half term week combined with Halloween.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    That's a thought, I've never had to queue for that before but then I've not been in school holidays. Definitely now going to go straight over there when we arrive, pick up tickets (hopefully queues not as big when it first opens), go on the Eye and then go back for the Dungeons at 4.30-ish.

To be honest with the Eye, we got it on the day for a 7pm time, and was told that you could start queueing from 6.30pm. So with the Dungeon it might be the same with regards to your timing, that you might be able to queue before then so you can get in for 5pm.

Though it is half term, it isn't for everybody..schools around here have been off this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest with the Eye, we got it on the day for a 7pm time, and was told that you could start queueing from 6.30pm. So with the Dungeon it might be the same with regards to your timing, that you might be able to queue before then so you can get in for 5pm.

That's what I'm hoping, although the Shard was pretty precise with times, even to the point we had to stand outside when we arrived 10 minutes before our ticket time (despite there being very few visitors inside).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping, although the Shard was pretty precise with times, even to the point we had to stand outside when we arrived 10 minutes before our ticket time (despite there being very few visitors inside).

Not been to the Shard, thought it was quite expensive for what it was, was it worth it?

With the Dungeons & Eye been operated by the same group (Merlin Entertainments) hopefully they will operate the same way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been to the Shard, thought it was quite expensive for what it was, was it worth it?

With the Dungeons & Eye been operated by the same group (Merlin Entertainments) hopefully they will operate the same way.

The Shard, at the current ticket price, isn't worth it. You can spend as long as you like there but we were hard pressed to stretch the visit out for half an hour. There's no information about the building, the architect or build process at all - unless you buy an overpriced guide book! At the start of the tour you can have your photo taken against a green screen, with superimposed Shard but we found out these were £24! Only a tenner on the Eye, as I remember. A complete rip off. If Shard tickets were around £15, then I'd say to go but not at nearly £30.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shard is completely over priced and not worth it. The dungeons are largely unimpressive. I used to work nearby and the 'ride' called the drop was frequently out of order. The London Bridge experience however is very good and well worth the money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the London Dudgeon about 10 years ago and thought it was quite good at that age being 12. Its moved now but there were queues then.

The London Eye I did not think much of, the Shard is more expensive but its a better view and you can stay up there for longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will wait then for the Shard to see if the prices get lower. Saying that, I don't find London the best city to look down on (even from the Eye), London is far more interesting to look at from ground level, if you know what I mean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will wait then for the Shard to see if the prices get lower. Saying that, I don't find London the best city to look down on (even from the Eye), London is far more interesting to look at from ground level, if you know what I mean.

It was the novelty value that I thought my son - then 11, now 12 - would enjoy. He did but even he said it was over priced.