Bagged or Bagless Vacuum Cleaner?

attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
Forum Member
✭✭
My mum has bought a Vax Air3 which is bagless, of course & it recommends cleaning the filter & cyclone after every use, I asked her why didn't she just get a bagged cleaner but she said that the other bagged uprights (apart from Sebo/Miele ones) were all crap & cheap.

But still, give me a Hoover Purepower over any bagless cleaner anyday! Much cleaner & healthier to use a bag.

But which one do you prefer better? Bagless/Bagged both have their advantages/disadvantages, of course, but which one? ^_^

Comments

• DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing beats a Dyson...............bagless of course.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Just Henry with hepobags..I had panosonic, vax, etc. My original henry did over 10 years graft, just the motor went, so a spare motor cost 89 quid, so I got a new henry and stripped the older one for spares!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer bagged. I did not like all the muck being visable with a bagless.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take a dyson every time.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always had bagged.

How do you empty a bag-less? I get the vision of a cloud of dust when trying to empty the container. There must be an easy way to do it I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Sebo X4. The End.

Quite like the look of the G-Ram though, despite the fact it sounds like something you ask for in a sex shop.
  • JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing beats a Dyson...............bagless of course.

I used to think that.....until I bought a GRam Air cordless. It's the most efficient, light and innovative vac on the market.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sebo with a bag which is my upstairs vac but much prefer the Dyson bagless which is downstairs
    (MIL gave me the Sebo as it was too heavy for her.)
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagless without a doubt.

Our 13 yr old Dyson DC04 is still going well, but do see that it wont last too much longer, so on the lookout for the next bagless replacement....
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I've always had bagged.

How do you empty a bag-less? I get the vision of a cloud of dust when trying to empty the container. There must be an easy way to do it I suppose.

Yeah you just unhook the cylinder thing and empty it into a bin or plastic bag. I do it outside. You can also remove the filter while you're at it and beat the dust out of that too.
    I hoover the whole house weekly and it fills the cylinder each time so I think the suction must be pretty good with this type of system.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Dyson, all the way. :)
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I've had bag less for years. My first was a Dyson DC02 which finally gave up after 10+ years. I had a panasonic next which was crap. It's motor burnt out after about 18 months (twice). My current is also a Vax Air3 which seems ok so far. My concern has always been finding replacement bags.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagless
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My concern has always been finding replacement bags.

This.

No idea if old-fashioned hoovers are in any way superior to newer, bagless, designs but I just plain don't like the idea of being forced to perpetually buy consumables for anything if I can avoid it.

First, there's the possibility that you're going to discover that you don't have any more of the item in stock, just when you need it.
    Second, there's the possibility that a manufacturer can prematurely end the life of an item by refusing to continue to supply the consumables. Admittedly, the after-market usually minimises this problem but you're still reliant on 3rd-parties to keep something you own operational and, third, it means there's extra crap taking up storage space in your house.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a few dysons they're good but cost a lot, Currently have a henry and considering how much cheaper it was it does a good job for a bagged cleaner.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely bagless, finding the right bags can be a hassle. I have a gtech that condenses the dirt into a small tray so no mess when emptying.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Henry and it's - I have no shame to use this word - awesome. :D

I had a Dyson, but there were some problems. Cleaning it can be such a pain, too. Yes, I think it's down to my laziness that I prefer bagged to bagless.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always had bagged.

You know a coffee maker where you take its glass container out to pour coffee into a cup? A bagless cleaner operates similarly. You take its container out by its handle, and empties it into a bin or whatnot. It sometimes can produce a cloud of dust, but not as much as you may expect.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Bagless, all the way. I was so happy when I finally got a bagless vacuum cleaner, which I know is quite sad :D
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had my Miele Cat & Dog bagged vacuum for nearly 20 years and it's still very efficient. The bags seal themselves as you remove them. It works for me.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

I had a Dyson, but there were some problems. Cleaning it can be such a pain, too. Yes, I think it's down to my laziness that I prefer bagged to bagless.

I have a Henry too and it's a little belter! :)

Performance and cost were the deciding factors so the bagged/bagless option was only a minor consideration.

There's certainly no excuse for running out of bags. I have a spare pack of bags, and as soon as I break into those, I order a new pack. As such, I replace my stock of bags rather than waiting to replace the last bag I have. It's just like having spare batteries for your TV remote, or having a couple of spare light bulbs.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

My first henry lasted 25 years before I replaced it with a new one. The old one was still working but I was given a newer model with the two speed control. That old henry has been sat in my workshop sucking up wood, metal and probably several gallons of oil and it still worked just as well as the day I bought it.

I also had a dyson, it melted.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    and101 wrote: »
    My first henry lasted 25 years before I replaced it with a new one. The old one was still working but I was given a newer model with the two speed control. That old henry has been sat in my workshop sucking up wood, metal and probably several gallons of oil and it still worked just as well as the day I bought it.

I also had a dyson, it melted.

One of the reasons I considered the Henry in the first place was because just about every tradesman who came to the house had a good old Henry which they used to clear up after them.

I also like the manual winder for the cable. Those automatic ones always seem to "lose the urge" rather quickly so you end up with a foot of dangly cable.

Yeah, I know ... I'm sad! :blush:
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I considered the Henry in the first place was because just about every tradesman who came to the house had a good old Henry which they used to clear up after them.

I also like the manual winder for the cable. Those automatic ones always seem to "lose the urge" rather quickly so you end up with a foot of dangly cable.

Yeah, I know ... I'm sad! :blush:

The automatic cable winder is still as good as new on my Miele, they are very well made. When I bought a vac for my daughter though I bought her a Henry as she's a bit tough on vacs, and I know they're good and very robust.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    +1 for Dyson. Expensive, but you do get a lot of bangs for your buck. I like the fact that, for a fixed charge, they'll service it and replace any parts needed. Mine's like the proverbial broom with 14 new heads and 2 new handles :D