Options

Tiny tablet for specific purpose

2»

Comments

• Options
    Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (but be careful where you pull the file from).

This is a potential problem. I have no experience downloading anything from anywhere other than the main authorised sites, as with my normal PC I have never had a need to. You're probably avoiding giving a link for reasons of forum rules. Please feel free to PM me.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't access the Google Play store you might find that you can access the Good E-Reader app store. It works for the Kindle whereas Google Play doesn't. You can get Chrome and Opera there.

It might also be worth googling for discussion groups for your Polaroid. Posters on these sorts of groups often manage to get their devices doing lots of extra stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John I am not able to use Google Play or the Amazon store. Neither of them are compatible with my device. That's why I was asking about an alternative direct download. I just wanted someone to say what a "safe" alternative site would be :)

Sue, the problem I am finding with community support for my device is that its one of those that seems to have a slightly different version depending on which cut-price retailer you get it from so a lot of the people who have one appear to have had a model that already has flash preinstalled. Or Google play etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    John I am not able to use Google Play or the Amazon store.
    Ah, very sorry, I missed that bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just had another go searching, and the only results for my model number were in french. I guess in my ignorance I simply bought something completely unsuited to intended use. But I have learnt a lot in this journey - I could have paid more than that to go on a course about tablets ;)

Does anyone here have a tablet (not phone) 5" or under that can access that video? If not, I will start to consider the Kindle Fire which I have had two people corroborate can do so straight out of the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was too late to edit my last post so I am afraid I need to double post :D

I managed to find Chrome downloadable from elsewhere. Installed it. This one *didn't* crash but it did all but lock up. Once the page was loaded although it looked like the video might well have played once it got round to it, the whole thing was runing so slow that it took it over 2 mins to realise when I had touched anything on the screen or any of its buttons. Then all that happened was I got a "application is busy, wait or force close" which is pretty much what happens on anything I download that didn't come preinstalled. I bought a toy and it's playing with me :) Next time I'll buy a tool!
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not, I will start to consider the Kindle Fire which I have had two people corroborate can do so straight out of the box.

Kindle Fire HD worked for that particular site but won't do Flash "out of the box". Straightforward to install though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And at least there is plenty of community support as Kindle is more mainstream. That is usually what I base my choice of technology on, in the end. I wasn't against a phone arbitrarily, as I am due a new phone really, but I didn't want a monthly contract nor to pay the £500 ish for a good one without a contract, since I actually rarely use my mobile for calls anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I just found out even people saying their tablets work with that link is pointless - if these are devices you bought weeks or months ago they're probably on the list at http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/flashruntimes/certified-devices.html but the same devices bought today have updated their operating systems to 4.x and are therefore no longer as compatible as they were.
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I just found out even people saying their tablets work with that link is pointless - if these are devices you bought weeks or months ago they're probably on the list at http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/flashruntimes/certified-devices.html but the same devices bought today have updated their operating systems to 4.x and are therefore no longer as compatible as they were.
    Again, though, for that specific link it doesn't matter, as it doesn't rely (for mobile devices) on Flash. Even 4.x devices will likely work, as verified from a Nexus tablet on 4.2.2 that has never seen Flash.

That said, there are very simple - and safe - ways to get Flash installed even on 4.x devices.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    And at least there is plenty of community support as Kindle is more mainstream. That is usually what I base my choice of technology on, in the end. I wasn't against a phone arbitrarily, as I am due a new phone really, but I didn't want a monthly contract nor to pay the £500 ish for a good one without a contract, since I actually rarely use my mobile for calls anyway.

For what you want it for even a cheap PAYG Android phone would do it no need for a monthly contract or a £500 phone.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, my Nexus 7 is on 4.2.2, still worked.
  • Options
    pattycakepattycake Posts: 4,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Sony experiaS phone on payg and your link worked finely is 4.5 . It didn't, work on my kindle fire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am more attracted to the Nexus than the Fire, actually. The camera might be handy, if nothing else, and it does seem to get better reviews in the magazines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" from PC world as it proudly proclaims Flash Player = Yes and Android 4.0 (and is listed on the Adobe certified list). No sooner had I clicked "Buy" than my husband found something on wikipedia saying the device had been upgraded to Android 4.1 The one that comes to me had better be 4.0 or it's going straight back as being "not as advertised" grrrrr!!!!!!
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4.1 doesn't mean you can't install flash. It just makes it a little fiddlier. By all means ask on here if you need any help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Paul, but I was so looking forward to a *lack* of extra fiddle that this seemed to offer :( Also remember I have drawn a complete blank being able to run it on my little 2.3 toy, even after installing the apk, so if anyone can fail to get it installed on 4.1 that's me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ The Samsung is very much a mainstream device so there should be plenty of advice available for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually started a new thread as it was no longer about "a tiny tablet" but a 7" and I do have a Flash related small problem I'd appreciate advice on http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1805746 if anyone can help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband sorted it in the end. Basically the polaroid needed an older Flash than it had and the Galaxy needed a newer. :)