could my new GFX card be the wrong size?

13»

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the precise version of that CPU but it seems it's normal when it comes to dangerous temps, over 70 deg C being far too much.

If it's this precise version:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADX6000IAA6CZ%20%28ADX6000CZBOX%29.html

Then the specs say operating temp up to 63 deg C. But going a bit higher would be OK.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think it depends on the precise version of that CPU but it seems it's normal when it comes to dangerous temps, over 70 deg C being far too much.

If it's this precise version:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%206000%2B%20-%20ADX6000IAA6CZ%20%28ADX6000CZBOX%29.html

Then the specs say operating temp up to 63 deg C. But going a bit higher would be OK.

Interesting link - thanks for that. I suppose even if you allowed for an extra 20 degrees of heat on top of the safe level, for the sake of argument, it would certainly make sense that I got a BSOD for running at 105 degrees last night and this morning.

Maybe the virus I picked up that hammered the CPU to 100 degrees in temperature for god knows how long actually started all of this?. Maybe it did have an adverse effect on the cooling paste so re-applying it will fix the problem?. I don't know - a lot of maybes for something I can't really say i'm any kind of expert on.

I'll keep an eye on things though and hopefully I won't have any more need to open the case up again, apart from giving it a good spring clean - at least re-seating the CPU this morning gave me a good opportunity to clean out the fan and heatsink of dust and crap, so that's a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxing out the CPU via any means, including a virus, will not cause over-heating in itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxing out the CPU via any means, including a virus, will not cause over-heating in itself.

So, for the sake of argument, what would be the most likely outcome of running it solidly at 100 degrees for a good 30-45 minutes continuously ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, for the sake of argument, what would be the most likely outcome of running it solidly at 100 degrees for a good 30-45 minutes continuously ?

I don't know that it would be possible to run the cpu you have at 100 degrees, the system would auto shut down to protect the cpu.

The cooling system should keep a cpu way below that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know that it would be possible to run the cpu you have at 100 degrees, the system would auto shut down to protect the cpu.

The cooling system should keep a cpu way below that.

Interesting, thanks again. I know the virus I picked up had a defrag running in the background which had the CPU running at 100 degrees. I know I was using the PC for quite a while before I discovered it and had even run another convertxtodvd process at the time as well, so I shudder to think how hot it got before it gave me the BSOD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the cpu running at 100degrees or was it running at 100% ??

100 deg is very very hot!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the cpu running at 100degrees or was it running at 100% ??

100 deg is very very hot!

It was 100 degrees - not percent.