Are Macs any better than PCs?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That is, is an Apple iMac computer running OS Mountain Lion any better than an equivalent spec computer running Windows 8?

After only ever owning a computer running Windows, I often wonder if I would be better with a Mac.

My computer use is basic: Web surfing (including playing basic online games), listening to music*, watching DVDs, word processing** etc.

Despite there being an apparent less risk of viruses etc with a Mac I would still like suitable security in place too.

I like the 27" iMac which is currently at £1,499. With its' current specs would it run perfectly fine without any delays***? Or would I be better with a higher spec?

Also, assuming I had a PC with the same specs, would I find it better to use?

The specs of it are Intel i5 2.9GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB.

Also, what software does the Mac OS come with? E.g. Garageband etc?

Any suggestions or input is most welcome. :)

*I use iTunes currently.
**I use MS Office and would purchase this for the Mac.
***The reason I mention delays is because I often find my Windows PC, granted with a lower spec, has difficultly with basic tasks such as listening to music, importing a CD and web surfing at the one time.

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,973
    Forum Member
    The only reason I have an iMac is because of the amazing screen and it's an all-in-one unit saving space.

It'll integrate better with iTunes but you may need to hunt around to get Windows equivalents. It's not better, just different. Any iMac is capable of doing all the basic stuff so the current specs are more than adequate for everyday use.

If you want to move stuff from pc to mac and vice versa there are a few hoops to jump through but they can be overcome.

iPhoto is the main bundled app that I use and it's not bad but there are better (paid) apps out there. You get the usual email, calendar, browser etc.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash (web games) on the Mac is worse than the Windows version and this has been an issue for years.

512Mb of graphics ram is terrible for a £1,500 computer.

I use the free Sophos anti virus for Mac's as well as the on-demand BitDefender scanner from the Mac App Store.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

Office 2011 for Mac is different to the Windows version - for example Outlook and Access are missing. It also looks very different although I quite like the look.

EDIT: iTunes is massively better on a Mac than Windows - for example TV/Film playback is much smoother.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think of a Mac as being a halfway house towards Linux.
    Your usages really says buy a quality HD TV and plug a Nettop/Mini PC into it.
    That way you insure yourself long term. Very important when Apple designs are near as dammit non user serviceable.

So obviously you could be pair up a Mac Mini if you wish.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

512Mb of graphics ram is terrible for a £1,500 computer.
    The whole spec is :eek: for £1500

Also grabs a bag of popcorn, will pass a bit of time until sport is on later.

My only contribution to the OP is go and play with a Mac, Apple store, friends, local libary.
    Then answer youre own post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you like cheese? If you like Edam I think you might like a Mac. Red Leicester fan? No problem stick to PCs imho.

Now I need a nice slice of welsh rarebit!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you like cheese? If you like Edam I think you might like a Mac. Red Leicester fan? No problem stick to PCs imho.
    !

But which one is more prone to viruses, or is that mold?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best piece of advice in here: go to an Apple store, try one out, see if you like it. If you do and you have the money for it, buy one. If not, get something else.

It's your business what you spend your money on, and only you can decide if you like the Mac OS more than Windows.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think they are. I should know, I have two of them :D Once you go Mac you never go back! I'm on my phone so I'll post more later.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot that a program called "Outlook" is now included in the expensive version of Office for Mac 2011. It is however quite different under the skin to the Windows version and seems like a half way house between Outlook and the old Entourage software which I avoided like the plague.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    That is, is an Apple iMac computer running OS Mountain Lion any better than an equivalent spec computer running Windows 8?

After only ever owning a computer running Windows, I often wonder if I would be better with a Mac.

My computer use is basic: Web surfing (including playing basic online games), listening to music*, watching DVDs, word processing** etc.

Despite there being an apparent less risk of viruses etc with a Mac I would still like suitable security in place too.

I like the 27" iMac which is currently at £1,499. With its' current specs would it run perfectly fine without any delays***? Or would I be better with a higher spec?

Also, assuming I had a PC with the same specs, would I find it better to use?

The specs of it are Intel i5 2.9GHz processor, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512MB.

Also, what software does the Mac OS come with? E.g. Garageband etc?

Any suggestions or input is most welcome. :)

*I use iTunes currently.
    **I use MS Office and would purchase this for the Mac.
    ***The reason I mention delays is because I often find my Windows PC, granted with a lower spec, has difficultly with basic tasks such as listening to music, importing a CD and web surfing at the one time.

A modern Windows computer will have no problem doing any of those activities. iTunes can be a little sluggish on the PC side because it is not well written but not terribly so. I have a cheap laptop from 2008 and it can do any of those things just fine.

If you are willing to have a desktop PC and aren't just considering getting an AIO, then for significantly less money, you could get a much more powerful desktop computer along with the screen.

With regards to using Mac or using Windows. Apart from certain software that only runs on one or the other, both are equally capable. They both have slightly different ways of doing things that would affect personal preference.

You should know that the iMac has mobile components i.e. the kind you would find in a laptop. A desktop processor or graphics card would be much more powerful than the mobile equivalent.

They are very nice machines to be honest, I think you will like it and if you're happy to spend that kind of money, go for it.

To be honest, the Mac Mini is probably plenty sufficient for your needs too. Do be aware that the iMac does not have a disc drive built in, you will need to buy an external DVD drive for it.

If you want to watch blurays then Windows might be the way to go.

A Windows equivalent AIO to the iMac is the Dell XPS One 27
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're thinking of buying a Mac, make sure you follow the rules of Mac ownership. Don't know what they are? Fear not, for I've summarised them here.

http://rantfarm.org/2013/03/25/eight-rules-of-mac-ownership/

:D
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use PC, Linux and Mac. I love my MacBook but the wifi connection issues drive me to despair. For some reason, and the number of internet postings on this issue suggest it's a very big problem, the wifi connection is very temperamental. Sometimes it flies along, sometimes it crawls and sometimes it just won't connect or times out. Meanwhile my other devices carry on regardless.
    There appears to be no solution to this problem and when I mentioned it to my son, a serious Mac User, he just shrugs his shoulders and says "yes, I know, just put up with it!"
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having reread op's post i'd say its probably just time for a windows refresh (aka reinstall) as its probably the usual windows cruft buildup...just backup your data before nuking everything
    Forum Member
    If you're thinking of buying a Mac, make sure you follow the rules of Mac ownership. Don't know what they are? Fear not, for I've summarised them here.

http://rantfarm.org/2013/03/25/eight-rules-of-mac-ownership/

Thanks for that, some of those rules sum me up perfectly. :o:D Oh and OP if you get a Mac you must wear a black turtleneck and pray to His Jobsness in the iCloud every day. You must also hate Micro$oft products and visit the Apple Store regularly. Remember Mac users, Steve in the iCloud is watching you and if you do something you shouldn't the men in black turtlenecks will visit :eek:

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One has to be very careful when buying an Apple product. Because the moment you are not looking they slip in an attitude as well. People around you start thinking you are an arsehole and you have no idea why. Very dangerous.
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    One has to be very careful when buying an Apple product. Because the moment you are not looking they slip in an attitude as well. People around you start thinking you are an arsehole and you have no idea why. Very dangerous.

What makes you think that? Not all of us Apple users are the same. I'm often unbearably smug and I tend to make up certain "rules" for Mac owners but nobody thinks I'm an arsehole. I'm friends with some Windows users as well as Mac users. Somehow we manage to get along :D
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some years ago the huge advantage of a PC was the enormously wide range of software available for the PC, particularly games. These days that is not true. So the superior Apple ought to win out over the last few years. Of course Apple how recently been putting in most effort on the Ipad and phones so they have lost a bit of their techniical lead
    with desktops.

However since you make a big point of MS Office, surely you are best to go with a PC? What would be the point of buyng an Apple but not using the software?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Some years ago the huge advantage of a PC was the enormously wide range of software available for the PC, particularly games. These days that is not true. So the superior Apple ought to win out over the last few years. Of course Apple how recently been putting in most effort on the Ipad and phones so they have lost a bit of their techniical lead
    with desktops.

Yeah that doesn't make any sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I apologise but I am replying to all comments in this post rather than quoting each individual comment.

I think the reasons behind considering a Mac, particularly an iMac is the screen size and the fact that it's an all in one. I've also heard that they are generally more stable, although I wonder how true this is? Thanks TheBigM for pointing me in the direction of the XPS 27" equivalent - it's something else I will be considering, and it seems you get more for your money too?

I have mentioned that I would, if buying a Mac, also buy MS Office as apart from the fact that I do like the software, its also required for college/work.

I'm really not sure, but I will definitely be going to my local Apple store at some point to try one out - are you able to put your own CD's into their display iMacs to try them out?

Also, with them being all in one, and not really user serviceable, what would happen if the monitor went, or the motherboard as examples? How expensive would this be to have repaired by Apple?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Also, thanks IslandNiles for the heads up on the rules of Mac ownership, I will be sure to follow these should I purchase one. :D
    Forum Member
    Also, thanks IslandNiles for the heads up on the rules of Mac ownership, I will be sure to follow these should I purchase one. :D

You should and let me know how you get on :D Do you own a black turtleneck? You'll have to wear it when you go to buy your Mac.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should and let me know how you get on :D Do you own a black turtleneck? You'll have to wear it when you go to buy your Mac.

I don't, but I might buy one in advance of the purchase of the computer, sorry, iMac. Must remember, don't waste opportunities by referring to it as its generic name! :D
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I apologise but I am replying to all comments in this post rather than quoting each individual comment.

I think the reasons behind considering a Mac, particularly an iMac is the screen size and the fact that it's an all in one. I've also heard that they are generally more stable, although I wonder how true this is? Thanks TheBigM for pointing me in the direction of the XPS 27" equivalent - it's something else I will be considering, and it seems you get more for your money too?

I have mentioned that I would, if buying a Mac, also buy MS Office as apart from the fact that I do like the software, its also required for college/work.

I'm really not sure, but I will definitely be going to my local Apple store at some point to try one out - are you able to put your own CD's into their display iMacs to try them out?

Also, with them being all in one, and not really user serviceable, what would happen if the monitor went, or the motherboard as examples? How expensive would this be to have repaired by Apple?

Thanks again everyone! :)

Bit in bold. As someone mentioned above, the new models of iMac don't have optical drives, so you can't put a CD into them. If a CD drive is important, you'd have to buy an external one.
    Forum Member
    I don't, but I might buy one in advance of the purchase of the computer, sorry, iMac. Must remember, don't waste opportunities by referring to it as its generic name! :D

I have one, but I haven't seen them in the shops for ages. Do that and wear it when you go to pick up your shiny new iMac :D Oh I forgot to mention most Mac people are Starbucks frequent customers so you might want to start drinking more Starbucks if you don't already :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha, you're learning! :D