Should it be up to Private Landlords to evict illegal tenants?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK govt is potty. Instead of using their cojones to do something or work on the French, of all the people between Calais and John O'Groats they choose private landlords to fix it. Because as we all know, the dirt cheap private sector housing of Britain is exactly the magnet pulling all sorts over the fences and through the channel.
    Please tell me this is some kind of joke?

Its not.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not though, and there is evidence emerging that British citizens are getting screwed over as well. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/03/british-citizens-without-passports-being-turned-away-by-landlords

That's what happens when you scribble down a policy on the back of a **** packet

Yup and pass the buck!
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    How is a landlord supposed to be able to know if any identity is false?

With the risk of a possible fine then if in doubt check it out otherwise take a photocopy to show what had been accepted as proof should anything later arise, it wouldn't be his fault if it turned out to be fake.

(More common sense in action)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't answer my question.

If a "legit" Landlord uses the correct channels to "vet" prospective tenants, by law, then he/she will have no problem.

It really is that simple....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted....lost the plot
    Forum Member
    I credit some illegal immigrants with more sense. False documents are a lucrative industry for a reason. Identity sharing isn't unheard of either.

It still wouldn't be his fault if it turned out to be fake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still wouldn't be his fault if it turned out to be fake.

Yes. I deleted my post. I'm knackered and losing the plot.....
    Forum Member
    Yes. I deleted my post. I'm knackered and losing the plot.....
    DS does get to us some times, I blame the migrants.

The threads on them that is :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I credit illegal immigrants with more sense than that. False documents are a lucrative industry for a reason. Identity sharing isn't unheard of either.

I'ts nothing new and has been going on well before "illegal immigrants" and "false documents" have been mentioned.

Any legit Landlord that goes by the law would do a check for:

Written verification of employment/income
    Reference from current landlord or letting agent
    Affordability calculation
    County Court Judgment (CCJ) Search
    Bankruptcy & Insolvency Data
    Residency & Address Confirmation
    Alias Name Search
    Linked Addresses located and searched
    ID Verification Checks
    Passport Number:
    NI Number:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes it should. They should only have legal tenants.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Yes it should. They should only have legal tenants.
    And how should LLs go about doing it Sulla, especially if they were legal tenants at the time of the letting?
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    And how should LLs go about doing it Sulla, especially if they were legal tenants at the time of the letting?
    If they were legal at the time of letting then what's there to do about it, or have they somehow managed to become illegal during their time there?
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'ts nothing new and has been going on well before "illegal immigrants" and "false documents" have been mentioned.

Any legit Landlord that goes by the law would do a check for:

Written verification of employment/income
    Reference from current landlord or letting agent
    Affordability calculation
    County Court Judgment (CCJ) Search
    Bankruptcy & Insolvency Data
    Residency & Address Confirmation
    Alias Name Search
    Linked Addresses located and searched
    ID Verification Checks
    Passport Number:
    NI Number:

The thing is all the pre tenancy checks are fine, however what happens in this scenario

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/business-news/politics/landlords-must-evict-failed-asylum-seekers-under-new-immigration-bill/10786.article?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17719-297959-04%2F08%2F2015

The latest sally from the government comes in the form of a move to prosecute landlords who don’t kick out those migrants renting rooms whose asylum requests fail

How will a Landlord know if their tenant mid tenancy has had their application refused and their Visas / permit to stay is no longer valid , will the Home Office write to the Landlord ? I doubt many tenants would tell the Landlord if they intended to stay in the country .
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were legal at the time of letting then what's there to do about it, or have they somehow managed to become illegal during their time there?
    Yes if their immigration status has changed, how are LLs supposed to know and even if they do find out, how are they supposed to remove tenants that refuse to go?
    Forum Member
    Yes if their immigration status has changed, how are LLs supposed to know and even if they do find out, how are they supposed to remove tenants that refuse to go?

Similar to what I said in post 29 re fake ID, photocopy what was accepted at the time - it wouldn't be his fault if the status had since changed without his knowledge.

Removing them if he did find out, we have a police force and also UKBA officials.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

In those circumstances they would have to act when the government informed them of a change in status.

This is a responsibility that you take on when you take the tax payers money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    The thing is all the pre tenancy checks are fine, however what happens in this scenario

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/business-news/politics/landlords-must-evict-failed-asylum-seekers-under-new-immigration-bill/10786.article?utm_source=Sign-Up.to&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=17719-297959-04%2F08%2F2015

The latest sally from the government comes in the form of a move to prosecute landlords who don’t kick out those migrants renting rooms whose asylum requests fail

How will a Landlord know if their tenant mid tenancy has had their application refused and their Visas / permit to stay is no longer valid , will the Home Office write to the Landlord ? I doubt many tenants would tell the Landlord if they intended to stay in the country .

Its not like there is a shortage of people looking to rent, If a Landlord is willing to take the risk for a tenant that does not have a valid Visa/permit to stay in the country then more fool them. The landlord is more than likely bent.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    In those circumstances they would have to act when the government informed them of a change in status.

This is a responsibility that you take on when you take the tax payers money.

Although in this situation that doesnt really make sense.

If someone is an asylum seeker they are not entitled to benefits so would not be privately renting a property (or claiming HB for it).

They can do this if they obtain refugee status but that is unlikely to be overturned so its not likely that their immigration status will change during a tenancy.

If someone is an illegal immigrant, they are not able to claim benefits as they are off the radar and likely working in the black market so they would be paying their own rent

This is most likely to affect visa overstayers rather than the 2 categories Ive mentioned and I dont know what the numbers of these are
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Its not like there is a shortage of people looking to rent, If a Landlord is willing to take the risk for a tenant that does not have a valid Visa/permit to stay in the country then more fool them. The landlord is more than likely bent.

All these kind of policies do is create a black market, if the government know they are illegal then the police or border force should deal with it. Just wait till a landlord gets killed trying to evict someone, and then watch the shit hit the fan because the government will not be doing thier job. Lets not forget in the uk landlords cannot evict people only the courts can do this, but the government has said the landlord does not need to use the courts in cases like this so this is asking for things to turn nasty
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    The government decides who is an illegal immigrant - who may be someone whose legitimate visa has ended or has been revoked, not just people who sneaked in on a lorry.

Indeed how could someone who came in the back of a lorry afford to rent?

Yet the government isn't willing to detain illegal immigrants and expel them from the country, preferring them to be homeless instead.

This is **** packet politics at it's worst.
    Forum Member
    The government decides who is an illegal immigrant - who may be someone whose legitimate visa has ended or has been revoked, not just people who sneaked in on a lorry.

Yet the government isn't willing to detain illegal immigrants and expel them from the country, preferring them to be homeless instead.

This is **** packet politics at it's worst.

Yes the government does not what the police or other government agencies to deal with this only landlords. Yet as far as i know a landlord does not have the power or right to make anyone leave a country only the government and courts can do this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    All these kind of policies do is create a black market, if the government know they are illegal then the police or border force should deal with it. Just wait till a landlord gets killed trying to evict someone, and then watch the shit hit the fan because the government will not be doing thier job. Lets not forget in the uk landlords cannot evict people only the courts can do this, but the government has said the landlord does not need to use the courts in cases like this so this is asking for things to turn nasty

Not if the Landlord plays by the rules.
    The only person who creates a black market are bent Landlords by renting to people with no status.

This is what the Government are aiming this policy at, BENT LANDLORDS!
    Forum Member
    The only person who creates a black market are bent Landlords.

There is always people out there who will create a way to make money out of it, dare say we will see lots for beds in sheds, so if the government know the people are not meant to be here why not just said the police or border control to the property so much easier, that way they can get rid of the people out of the uk. There is a very big buisness in black market **** in the uk. Should be a nice black market in fake IDs going on now in the uk.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    If a "legit" Landlord uses the correct channels to "vet" prospective tenants, by law, then he/she will have no problem.

It really is that simple....
    Except that the Home Office can declare someone illegal AFTER the tenancy starts. The list of "valid" documentation is so long that it becomes meaningless and easy to forge.

As has been pointed out - British people will have to be vetted as well to ensure that they are British. If you can't prove you are British (ie no passport) then how do you rent?
    The only person who creates a black market are bent Landlords by renting to people with no status.

This is what the Government are aiming this policy at, BENT LANDLORDS!

As with most of these policies the crooked will easily evade them with the unlucky honest person getting it in the neck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    But it is the physical practicalities of this, how would you physically remove someone? There surely has to be some legal process to it. What happens if the landlord gets it wrong, huge compensation I would imagine.

This is for the border agency to do, not private citizens. .

Well exactly. The government has just decided to offload a difficult and expensive task onto private individuals that rightly belongs to the border agency. Anyone fancy employing bailiffs to turf perhaps a mother and baby out into the street because their right to remain has been refused? The 'benefits' refused asylum seekers get is minuscule, their numbers are small, and most of them will still have to be housed somewhere until they are deported so what has been gained?