Options

The Impressions Show

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Impressions have long since passed on as TV entertainment, its fine in short bursts on topical comedy quiz shows, but not as a standalone 1/2 hour show. Although, I have to say they do a decent job, just not for me over 30 mins.

Simply doing accurate impressions doesn't cut the mustard, of course, and indeed never did, even back in Mike Yarwood's day. They have to come up with good comic situations for them, and the programme will stand or fall by these as much as (or even more than) the quality of the impressions.

For me they've been spot on most of the time, but they'll never please everyone.
  • Options
    OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fabulous show. Also thought Debra was excellent at doing Lorraine Kelly the other week too.
  • Options
    emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i woumder what the celebs themselfs think of john colshaw doing there impressions?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    She plays it differently. The running joke is her nicking all the expensive antiques.

Yes, done in a 'completely lacking in any kind of humour' kind of way ;)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Blame the script for that. I still think she has the voice and mannerisms (the eyebrow) to give a good impression of her.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I found Jan Raven's Fiona Bruce impression funny, I think Debra does the voice better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Like most impressions shows, this was hit and miss. Overall, I enjoy it

The Simon Cowell and Anne Robinson car scene was very well observed. Not only the script, but the visual mannerisims

The Bruce/Tess/Vernon is getting better. I love the fact Vernon is that funny fake tan colour! I did laugh when they did Bruce doing lame tap dancing every now and again!

Michael McIntyre was very funny - funnier than the real thing!

Ant and Dec was particularly poor though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I must confess I found the Brucie sketch hilarious last night!
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    I liked Jon's Justin Lee Collins, impressive
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie00353 wrote: »
    I must confess I found the Brucie sketch hilarious last night!

Almost as annoying as the real Brucie!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Michael McIntyre sketches. They've got him spot on!

Must say I'm still undecided over the claudia/davina sketches.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the Simon Cowell/Mrs Cashley sketch was rather good.
  • Options
    garygumpsgarygumps Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain the David Cameron angle?

I just don't get it.:confused:
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I just saw the Gordon Brown rap (on the Best Of episode).

I absolutely loved it. One of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time. I was LOLing all the way through it and had to watch it again to catch all the jokes.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    "Later on we find out why televisions explode without warning. We talk to BANG! I've always wanted to do that. That's Watchdog!"
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Debra is one sexy mama,,and good at impressions too ;)
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the latest episode some of the writing was better (I liked the Jane Austen spoof full of TV chefs) but I was very impressed by the woman doing the Delia impression - note perfect, but no credit I could see on the i-player.
  • Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be alone, but I still love the Davina stuff! It was so funny when she jumped into the pool then had to be saved!
  • Options
    linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    I love the Stephen Gerrard interviews. :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    the look reminds me of Bob Mortimer
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite bizarre when some people here say "the impressions sound nothing like...".
    Maybe those people have a specially attuned ear? Or perhaps moe likely they lack the imagination to make a small leap, since listening to impressions of people compared to the actual person is never totally spot-on no matter how good the impression. Even Rob Brydon's brilliant Michael Caine or Alan Bennett falters if you compare it to the actual Michael or Alan.

Get with it amateur critics, you need to understand that no-one can morph into another person, but mimicking enough characteristics to a tee is convincing. Culshaw and Stephenson do a great job of that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Jeremy Clarkson and James May impressions are good, but Debra's impression of Richard Hammond made me cringe and she looked ridiculous. Surely there must be a decent male impressionist who could do that one? It's hardly the most difficult one to pull off.
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Why wrote: »
    Debra's impression of Richard Hammond made me cringe and she looked ridiculous. Surely there must be a decent male impressionist who could do that one? It's hardly the most difficult one to pull off.

He's very boy-like and unmasculine though, (at least his TV persona is) so having a woman impersonate him works on some level.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that Debra's portrayal of Richard Hammond is meant to be an impression. She just appears in the Top Gear spoofs because you can't have Jeremy Clarkson and James May without Richard, and she wouldn't look great as James!
  • Options
    GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started to watch yesterdays show and realisized when it got to the Jordan/Ronny Corbett sketch that I saw it last Saturday evening? Was it repeated by accident?:confused: