Options

EE Wifi Calling

Smurf001Smurf001 Posts: 137
Forum Member
There seems to be people on this forum that have good knowledge of the mobile networks.

Has anyone heard any definite news on EE Wifi calling? Such as when it is due to start.

Comments

• Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't say on the web site but will this be available to T-Mobile and Orange customers as well as 4G EE customers?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    It doesn't say on the web site but will this be available to T-Mobile and Orange customers as well as 4G EE customers?

Don't think anyone knows any more than on the web site. I would assume since the WiFi calling is powered by IMS that it would need the customer to be a 4G subscriber, so therefore on EE rather than the older brands / tariffs.

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/wifi-calling
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    AFAIK it's only EE that'll be offering this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay thanks, I am not too concerned that it may only be EE offering it as I am at the end of my contract anyway. I guess from what you are saying it may only be available on the newer phones so I will need to upgrade rather than go to a sim only plan.

Do you have any ideas on release date?
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    It'll be after the new year I reckon....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the information.

I had not realised it could be potentially delayed for that long as I have heard rumours in-store advisers are telling customers it is already live.

I think I might start investigating the O2 Wifi app. The reviews I have read to date say that it is not brilliant, but it has to be better than no signal at all.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame if Wifi calling ahs been delayed on EE as had been told by Store staff,conatct centre and network engineers that it was due to launch in late 2014.

I do however understand that this is a big network network configuration chnage as not as simple as 3 and O2s solution with using an add app EE will all do it automatic and selct whether to use wifi or mobile network and am told its incoming calls that are most difficult side
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think it has slipped, for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smurf001 wrote: »
    I think I might start investigating the O2 Wifi app. The reviews I have read to date say that it is not brilliant, but it has to be better than no signal at all.

Oh dear, dear, dear, you really are clutching at straws aren't you. I tried the O2 app known, for some strange reason, as Tu Go some months back before doing the sensible thing of jumping ship altogether. That app is pathetic. It in no way integrates with the phone insofar there are no ringtone or messaging tone choices. Using this app when you get an incoming call the phone will ring with a bell tone like an old style fixed line phone. No choice. Messaging doesn't always work and on several phones we tried with incoming calls you couldn't always actually answer them. Sliding the answer button would often not achieve anything.

Further, if you use this app because you are in a no network signal area you will get your SMS messages [that's if you hear them with the single bleep tone - can't change it]
    and if you are in this state for some time and receive many SMS messages via this app as soon as you reconnect to the O2 network, you will receive all the messages again!! How useful is that? There are no settings round this and I had many emails and chats with the O2 people developing this app and they had no idea if they would be able to get round this problem.

Despite all this, if you wan't to use it, go ahead!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't made a decision that I will move to O2, but as I say I think I will start investigating it. It is interesting to hear your view on the app, thank you.

To be honest if the only problems are not being able to have a fancy ring tone and receiving messages twice then it's a lot better than the service I am paying EE for.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I'm inclined to say before Xmas (no specific details).
    However I'm sure we'll know more in a week or two..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you are right. Just having some definite details from EE would be a start.

I had obviously misunderstood initially and expected it to start with iOS 8 and I suspect a lot of others thought the same.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you are right. Just having some definite details from EE would be a start.

I had obviously misunderstood initially and expected it to start with iOS 8 and I suspect a lot of others thought the same.

It was Apple that worded it wrong in the iPhone 6 announcement, they said "T-Mobile in the US and EE in the UK would have day one support" or something like that, so obviously you would assume that means straight away from iOS 8 launch.

I've read a few articles on American sites talking about it on T-Mobile in the US and they mention it on EE in the UK as if it's launched already.
  • Options
    AyrshireDJAyrshireDJ Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    not technically "wifi calling" but I have a signal booster from EE as my signal in my area isnt brilliant. Plugs in to my router and uses the cable broadband I have.

Gives me a 5 bar 3g signal all over the house so I can use it and make / receive calls.

Works on EE / orange / T Mobile. I beleive Vodaphone have a similar gadget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AyrshireDJ wrote: »
    not technically "wifi calling" but I have a signal booster from EE as my signal in my area isnt brilliant. Plugs in to my router and uses the cable broadband I have.

Gives me a 5 bar 3g signal all over the house so I can use it and make / receive calls.

Works on EE / orange / T Mobile. I beleive Vodaphone have a similar gadget.

I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere EE had discontinued issuing these devices but no doubt someone can correct me if I'm wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EE have previously promised me a Signal box on a couple of occasions but it has never been sent. Also I would need for more than one location.

I looked at buying a signal box on ebay but EE told me unless they were purchased direct from them they would not activate it.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Saying that using a signal box is "not technically" using WiFi is like saying flying in a plane is not technically riding a bike!!
    It isn't WiFi calling at all. It's a 3G signal box so you are making a 3G call just like you would outside except the mast is a small plastic box in your house rather than a dirty great 30M lattice tower!
    So where do I get one of these widgets then?
    They sound very good.
    Anyone would think we hadn't been discussing them for the last 2 flippin years!!
    Hahahahahha
    Sorry, I'll get me coat!
    : )
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, EE only ever said autumn so I don't think we can say it's delayed unless it slips into next year.

A few weeks ago in their forum they said it was being finalised and it will be live this year.

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Announcements-from-EE/EE-testing-lab-announces-voice-over-wifi/m-p/195449#M2767
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I think Apple must have misunderstood. It is already live essentially but just not for public usage. Still undergoing stress testing and ironing out a few quirks, now that certain upgrades to the "network" have taken place over Summer there is no reason I can see that could delay it. They have been testing it for a good while now.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I've got an unused signal box if somebody wants it.

EE will activate it, you just have to get the right person. Make sure you're a contract customer is the first thing I'd say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hopefully you are right and it will be live soon. If they could just give us more detail it would be a start. I am delaying upgrading because I don't want to upgrade and find it is a phone or plan that it is not available on.

Also by not upgrading it still gives me the option to move to O2 who already have wifi calling, but I would prefer not to move to O2 if I can avoid it.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Also by not upgrading it still gives me the option to move to O2 who already have wifi calling, but I would prefer not to move to O2 if I can avoid it.

The TuGo app is not "wifi calling" as is being discussed in this thread. It's a standalone app, like the Three In Touch app.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that with the O2 app you could make calls and receive texts when connected to the Internet, is that not the case?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding is that with the O2 app you could make calls and receive texts when connected to the Internet, is that not the case?

Absolutely correct, subject to what I've said above. If you're concerned about coverage, why not get a free PAYG SIM for each network and check it out in actual use in all the areas you are in. That way, you will have a definitive answer to your problems.