24: Live Another Day [US Pace]

Comments

• zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come Chloe response wasn't "shoot him again, see if I care, traitorous oik" but instead was "hey I'll help you fix this WOMD" :huh:?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    How come Chloe response wasn't "shoot him again, see if I care, traitorous oik" but instead was "hey I'll help you fix this WOMD" :huh:?

That's what I was thinking too.

I'd be like 'So shoot him, see if I care'. rolleyes
  • dj999dj999 Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Great episode, shame this is a twelve parter.

but is it? as we all know with 24, things happen in mysterious ways.
    they could have telling porkies
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another cracking episode to follow up last weeks!
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did Adrian Cross know he'd get his hands on the override? When Jack terminates the Al-Harazis he acquires the override. The device is taken to the CIA base where it's put in a secure location.

If Navarro hadn't needed to kill Jordan Reed, he (Navarro) wouldn't have needed to exchange the override for safe passage out of the UK. In other words, Adrian Cross' plan to acquire the override was solely dependent on Reed finding out that Navarro might have been responsible for selling secrets to the Chinese and Navarro needing to use a cleaner to kill Reed, and Jack finding out a link between the cleaner and Navarro thereby forcing Navarro to do a deal with Cross.

Cross would not have acquired the override any other way. He couldn't walk into the CIA base and try to steal the device :D so he needed Navarro to take it. I can't remember if Cross left clues in the CIA's mainframe so Reed could find out it wasn't Kate's husband responsible for selling secrets to the Chinese. If Reed found out by himself - without Cross helping - Cross' entire plan to acquire the override was pure chance. If this is so then it's a bit of a far fetched storyline, even more so when you consider the Chinese villain - Cheng, the former Chinese Consulate - made his first appearance in ep 10.

In hindsight, it would have made more sense (perhaps!) had Cheng and his men been following Bauer/Kate earlier on to make sure they stopped Al-Harazi destroying the override after the drone attacks or stopped her running away with the device. As it stands, it seems Cross' acquisition of the override, and Cheng's sudden appearance to swipe it from Cross, were dependent on random chance rather than a calculated plan of action?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »

Because she wanted to put a virus into it.
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Chloe probably knew from personal experience that if she didn't fix it herself, they'd just kidnap someone else who could do the job, and then kill that person for good measure. Heck, something like that even happened to her husband during Day 6!
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the episode but people were talking all through it grrrrrrr!! Can I just clarify...so Cheng has unleashed British nuclear subs in Britain to start a war between Britain and the Chinese?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the episode but people were talking all through it grrrrrrr!! Can I just clarify...so Cheng has unleashed British nuclear subs in Britain to start a war between Britain and the Chinese?

Err no. They had American accents. It was an American sub.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Bauer never loses. Even when he loses he wins cos he's a hard banana!
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member

The authentication order that Cheng sent posing as US Strategic Command was to the USS Massachusetts, a US Nuclear Sub.

Though in real life it is actually a retired Battleship.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    How did Adrian Cross know he'd get his hands on the override? When Jack terminates the Al-Harazis he acquires the override. The device is taken to the CIA base where it's put in a secure location.

If Navarro hadn't needed to kill Jordan Reed, he (Navarro) wouldn't have needed to exchange the override for safe passage out of the UK. In other words, Adrian Cross' plan to acquire the override was solely dependent on Reed finding out that Navarro might have been responsible for selling secrets to the Chinese and Navarro needing to use a cleaner to kill Reed, and Jack finding out a link between the cleaner and Navarro thereby forcing Navarro to do a deal with Cross.
    I'm not sure if Cross's plan had always been in place (before this 'day' started), or if he got the ball rolling as soon as he became aware the override device was out in the world.

Either way though, Cross always knew of Navarro's involvement with the Chinese and his framing of Kate's husband so presumably Cross's original plan would simply have been to blackmail Navarro with that information to force him to obtain the device. The situation with Jordan was just a lucky coincidence which strengthened Cross's hand. But he already had all the information he would have needed to bury Navarro, even if Jordan hadn't been involved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way though, Cross always knew of Navarro's involvement with the Chinese and his framing of Kate's husband so presumably Cross's original plan would simply have been to blackmail Navarro with that information to force him to obtain the device.

Sure, that makes sense but Cross couldn't guarantee Bauer and his team would recover the device in the first place. Indeed, Cross didn't want to help Jack or Chloe earlier on in the season. He was reluctant to help Bauer which didn't help his (Cross) cause! I don't see how Cross was guaranteed the CIA would recover the override device because the CIA didn't even know about it until Jack broke into the room and killed the Al-Harazis so it seems a slight stretch of the storyline to assume Cross knew Bauer would find the device and return it to the CIA base so that Navarro would have a chance to steal it. A little far fetched, perhaps. :D The idea of the override device - the twist by introducing it into the overall storyline - was cool, though. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Sure, that makes sense but Cross couldn't guarantee Bauer and his team would recover the device in the first place.

He didn't actually need them to recover it. Cross originally designed the device in the first place - Yates stole a copy of his plans and modified them to produce the drone override - so even if the device had been destroyed when the Al-Harazis were taken down (or if Navarro had been killed earlier in the day in that ambush), he would have been able to build another one. Getting Navarro to steal the device for him just saved Cross a couple of days or weeks rebuilding it from scratch.

In any case, am I the only person who's getting a feeling that the writers' concept for this series was "Day 6 done right?" So far, it's shaping up to be very similar in plot and structure.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    He didn't actually need them to recover it. Cross originally designed the device in the first place - Yates stole a copy of his plans and modified them to produce the drone override - so even if the device had been destroyed when the Al-Harazis were taken down (or if Navarro had been killed earlier in the day in that ambush), he would have been able to build another one. Getting Navarro to steal the device for him just saved Cross a couple of days or weeks rebuilding it from scratch.

In any case, am I the only person who's getting a feeling that the writers' concept for this series was "Day 6 done right?" So far, it's shaping up to be very similar in plot and structure.

it's been a while since I watched it, what happened in day 6 again?
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    it's been a while since I watched it, what happened in day 6 again?

Nuclear detonation north of LA at 10am.

Life back to normal again by midday.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    Nuclear detonation north of LA at 10am.

Life back to normal again by midday.

oh yes THAT day
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone is interested - season 1 is online and in 1080p HD. Perhaps one day Fox will release some or all of the seasons on Bluray. If you're a fan of the show and want to see how it all began for Jack and CTU and shown in lovely HD, it's out there. Remember, though, Jack Bauer hates online piracy so watch your back! ;-)
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nights episode was good but it was complete nonsense in parts. The area where Jack and Steve were running about was certainly not near Liverpool Street until they got to the station. And once they got on the underground it wasn't Liverpool Street station either. Anyone who uses it knows you don't go down an escalator to get on the Circle Line. I should imagine the underground bit was filmed at a different station.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Last nights episode was good but it was complete nonsense in parts. The area where Jack and Steve were running about was certainly not near Liverpool Street until they got to the station. And once they got on the underground it wasn't Liverpool Street station either. Anyone who uses it knows you don't go down an escalator to get on the Circle Line. I should imagine the underground bit was filmed at a different station.

Also, I've never managed to get a mobile phone signal on the underground and why was there an armed soldier on the streets in the middle of London? :o

On the whole, though, it was a cracking episode. Next week should be very interesting!
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Another classic episode of 24 this week....and just a couple of eps to go.:(

Adrian mad {and dead}.:D
    Chloe stupid and how hard is it to keep that frown all the time.;-)

Pleased Kate knows the truth about Husband - and the trick on Navarro, was good.:cool:
    Loved the shoot out with the Russians - but the Chinese, with the Nuke Sub, blowing up Chinese carrier - big surprise....but way too easy.:D

"I don't need bio metrics"
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,567
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It was the Central Line westbound which is accessible by escalator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Also, I've never managed to get a mobile phone signal on the underground

The series is set several years ahead of now (something like 2022, I believe), so maybe the London Underground finally got around to installing those signal repeaters they've been talking about putting in for the better part of the last decade. :p
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Also, I've never managed to get a mobile phone signal on the underground and why was there an armed soldier on the streets in the middle of London? :o

Well, London is supposed to be under curfew/lockdown after the attacks which explains the solider - but he is the only one we have seen. Yet, commuters are still using Liverpool St station as usual and the only law enforcement on the streets in the CIA. The only time we have seen the Met Police so far is controlling demonstrations outside of the US Embassy and that scruffy detective in Camden.

Never mind, with the sinking of the Chinese carrier, World War III is about to start.