Why doesn't Front line work anymore?

124»

Comments

• divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fleas are becoming imune to frontline, i have no idea how.

Our vet told us this last week, when we took our new puppy in for vaccination. They still stock Frontline for those that still want it, but they recommend Advocate, because they are finding a lot of fleas have developed a resistance to Frontline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline does still work perfectly fine as long as its used correctly.

Making sure it goes on the skin not the coat and it's done once a month for a infestation, also treat the house with something like Indorex (don't forget the car) and air house and car well after.

It takes Frontine about 24 hours to kill flea's and 48 to kill ticks, Frontline is the only one that as it kills the fleas they may come to the surface of the coat which can make people think it hasn't worked, you must treat a infestation over at least three months to make sure you cover the all the life stages of the flea including the dormant stage.

Vet's have gone off Frontline and can often say it doesn't work as they don't seem to happy with the fact its gone on public sale.

Don't over treat without veterinary advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline combo ( only sold at vets ) still works ok.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Frontline Combo definitely stopped working for my cats (and my neighbours' cats.) It had worked fine for years - but last summer suddenly my cats were scratching away and the vet found fleas on one of them (ten days after treatment), so we changed to Advocate which solved the problem. (After 14 years practice I know how to apply spot-ons correctly:D)

The Frontline available on public sale is not the same product which the vet sells which is Frontline Combo, that is still prescription-only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it was better than starting a new one...

Has anyone used Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) in their pets food? I'm looking for advice/experience for something effective AND economical. If it was just my cats I'd go with Advocate etc, but I currently look after 20+ cats a day in a country that has the most unreliable and expensive veterinary services ever and am needing a good solution. TIA
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am giving it to my 3 dogs, but only for worming. I did try putting it on their coats for fleas, but that did not really work. I suppose if you just got one dog, its different, but with 3 you have to be careful it does not get into their eyes. When they sniff each other it could happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Our vet told us this last week, when we took our new puppy in for vaccination. They still stock Frontline for those that still want it, but they recommend Advocate, because they are finding a lot of fleas have developed a resistance to Frontline.

Frontline will only be sold by the vets if the client asks for it otherwise it will mostly be Advocate.

Most vets also do health plans to get all your flea and worm treatments cheaper.
  • riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fan of advocate or stronghold which my vets calls 'the domestos for infestations' as it kills mites and all crawling thingys. It smells strong so I put it on just before I take them for a walk so it wears off. I alternate it with advocate which also kills lungworm which is spreading over more of the country.
    With the house sprays you have to be sure to spray nooks and crannies like under the edge of the skirting boards and under furniture, I like Indorex best as I have asthma and it's the only one that doesn't set it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    My dog has fleas :D
    I put Frontline on her 3 weeks ago, didn't work, 3 days later I put another pipet on her. 24 hours later bathed her in flea shampoo, went through with a nit comb, got rid of loads of eggs & fleas. She is a long haired dog, so a nightmare.
    Sprayed her with Bob martin pet & house flea spray.
    Still keep seeing random ones wondering about on her!
    Help, I dont know what else to do :confused:

If its front-line spot on then it's a good flea prevention however if a live flea lands it can take 24 hours to die. I dont mean to be rude but where is your dog going, what I mean by this if she is going near or mixing with other animals that have fleas then new fleas will go on her - they will die within 24hours wont be able to lay eggs etc or breed. Ive used front line about 13 years now and have lots of animals I have only ever seen one live flea on my cat and he was going about with a flea ridden cat from down the road so that's where I guess he picked it up.
    My suggestion is treat your home and her bedding.
    FRONTLINE Spot on kills 98% of fleas within 8 hours and 100% within 24 hours. Any newly arriving fleas from the environment will be killed within 24 hours, before they lay eggs.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,543
    Forum Member
    Well excuse me for reading the leaflet where it says wait 24 hours before bathing :D
    I did everything it said to do. Front line on the wednesday, supposed to work by 24 hours. on the friday afternoon still fleas, put another lot of Frontline on, fleas still active saturday afternoon. So dose number 1 had been on 3 days.
    Bear in mind I have had animals for years & not had a problem before.
    And I already said I treated the furnishings with spray.
    Front line is supposed to work for 2 months? In which case even if there were fleas all over the house, within 24 hours of pouncing on the dog, they would be dead.
    Which leads me to assume Front line isn't working.
    Anyone got any constructive advice, pretty pleeeease?

I have never had a problem with Frontline, and been using it for years. I only use that and a wormer when I remember as they can get immune to that product then it will not work.

Not sure why you are bathing the dog after you have used the pipette's?

You say your dog has long fur. Could you not give it a short haircut and see if that helps? For some reason I am seeing a Waterdog :blush:
    Forum Member
    orangebird wrote: »
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but thought it was better than starting a new one...

Has anyone used Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) in their pets food? I'm looking for advice/experience for something effective AND economical. If it was just my cats I'd go with Advocate etc, but I currently look after 20+ cats a day in a country that has the most unreliable and expensive veterinary services ever and am needing a good solution. TIA

Damn it >:( Why do I not read to the end before commenting :blush:
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline does NOT work. It used to but not any more. It has been around a fair while and the fleas are now immune to the ingredients in it. There are now far more effective spot on's available. A recent one is Activyl, which works by bio activation, it only becomes active when a flea or tick is detected, so that your pet doesn't absorb any chemicals unnecessarily. It also kills the eggs and larvae so has more chance of stopping the flea life cycle altogether.

Spot on needs applying every 4 weeks or do, and it will wear off sooner if the pet has prolonged contact with water. Wait at least a day or so before bathing or letting the dog swim or won't have had time to absorb and it will just wash out! If you have more than one dog/cat don't let them groom each other after applying it, you meet to keep them apart until the coat has dried.

Do NOT just buy any spot on from a shop or online, some have ingredients that can cause a great deal of harm or even death if applied incorrectly. For instance, never ever use dog spot on for cats, the spot on treatment for dogs is extremely dangerous to use on cats and can kill them. Some breeds also shouldn't have anything with any ingredient ending in 'ectin' (mainly ivermectin).

Also, many people make the mistake of only treating their pet, if they see fleas on it which is why they fail to get rid of them. If you see fleas on your pet, you have to treat any other pets ( because the fleas will just be transferred from one to another), and the furniture. 99% of the fleas are in the carpets and furniture, not actually on the pet itself, so no matter how much you treat the animal, if you don't treat the house you will never get rid of them properly. If its really badly infested, calling in professionals to clean up is the only way to be sure of eradicating everything.

Don't waste money on flea shampoo, it doesn't do anything that any other dog shampoo does, except it costs more for being labeled as 'flea shampoo';-).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found the vets where we are registered will happily sell you flea and worm treatment without the need for a consultation. Personally think they would be mad to do otherwise so they are not really doing us a favour.

I have gone into a vets where we are not even registered and they have sold me flea pipettes and a worming pill. It was for a dog my Mum was caring for that had not been treated for fleas and worms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to use diatomaceous earth when I kept chickens. I used it in their coop and externally on the chickens and they never had any mites or fleas.
    It must be worth a try. You wouldn't need to put it in their feed as they would groom in off if you put in on their fur.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Putting it in their food won't help with fleas (some claim it helps with worms and other internal parasites, so i do mix a smidgen with my cat's water), but i've been using it in my cat's fur for a couple of years now with success.
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=CollieWobbles;72109580]Frontline does NOT work. It used to but not any more. It has been around a fair while and the fleas are now immune to the ingredients in it. There are now far more effective spot on's available. A recent one is Activyl, which works by bio activation, it only becomes active when a flea or tick is detected, so that your pet doesn't absorb any chemicals unnecessarily. It also kills the eggs and larvae so has more chance of stopping the flea life cycle altogether.

Spot on needs applying every 4 weeks or do, and it will wear off sooner if the pet has prolonged contact with water. Wait at least a day or so before bathing or letting the dog swim or won't have had time to absorb and it will just wash out! If you have more than one dog/cat don't let them groom each other after applying it, you meet to keep them apart until the coat has dried.

Do NOT just buy any spot on from a shop or online, some have ingredients that can cause a great deal of harm or even death if applied incorrectly. For instance, never ever use dog spot on for cats, the spot on treatment for dogs is extremely dangerous to use on cats and can kill them. Some breeds also shouldn't have anything with any ingredient ending in 'ectin' (mainly ivermectin).

Also, many people make the mistake of only treating their pet, if they see fleas on it which is why they fail to get rid of them. If you see fleas on your pet, you have to treat any other pets ( because the fleas will just be transferred from one to another), and the furniture. 99% of the fleas are in the carpets and furniture, not actually on the pet itself, so no matter how much you treat the animal, if you don't treat the house you will never get rid of them properly. If its really badly infested, calling in professionals to clean up is the only way to be sure of eradicating everything.

Don't waste money on flea shampoo, it doesn't do anything that any other dog shampoo does, except it costs more for being labeled as 'flea shampoo';-).[/QUOTE]

It works on mine. Not had fleas in my home for years. You should not make such a sweeping statement imo.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    It works on mine. Not had fleas in my home for years. You should not make such a sweeping statement imo.

Then your lucky that it still works for you. It's not a sweeping statement, the vets and nurses at our practice have specifically stopped supplying and using it because it no longer works. Its not that much of a stretch that the fleas and ticks have become immune to something that has been around a long time, and that since then, newer and better stuff has been developed that is more effective.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get Stronghold. Touch wood my cat has never had fleas.
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have used Stronghold for the last 6 mths (as prescribed by vet ) but have had to go back to Frontline as my cat is seldom inside now that the weather has improved and is picking up ticks :(
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frontline totally stopped working on my elderly dog, last year and yes I know how to apply it correctly (used to work with dogs).

I must have been applying it correctly for years - as it did used to work. So it is not accurate to say people have mysteriously stopped being able to apply it well...

We switched to Advantage which is actually cheaper and does work on her. But it is monthly, not three monthly. My dog shares a communal area at the top of our garden with our neighbours' dog, so we try our best to keep her flea-free but I had months last year where it was a huge problem, as Frontline simply stopped working.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have pets now, but when we had cats we used Tiguvon (from the vets):

http://www.biomedsearch.com/nih/Tiguvon-spot-flea-control-in/9050181.html

Squeezed onto the back of the neck.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frontline really should think about changing their formula, it seems a pity to waste their good name and large consumer base by not coming up with something new that works.

I use advocate.
  • Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get the dog treated professionally and get pest control in to completely in-fumigate the house. My friend had a serious problem like that with her cat and nothing worked. The fleas had burrowed the carpets and everything. Supposedly her cat was playing with another and afterwards starting scratching on the living room rug, she sprayed everywhere and nothing worked :o my worst nightmare. Good luck :)
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I used to use Frontline, and I thought it didn't work as well....

Not sure if you can get this in the UK, but I live in Spain, and I use Stronghold.

It's cheaper than Frontline, and as well as doing a great job in making sure they don't get any fleas or any other things on them, such as ticks etc, it also acts as a de wormer as well!

Hope this helps and is available over there.