Options

Channel 4 OD tech problems!

I've suddenly started having major problems with C4 OD and hope someone out there can help. The C4 team haven't been able to so far!

Basically C4 OD used to work fine. Then it suddenly stopped. The issue is this: I can launch C4 OD fine, browse through the programmes, read all about everything but then, if I click on the STREAM or DOWNLOAD buttons nothing happens.

To be precise, the buttons change colour when I hover the mouse over them and when I click they change colour, but then nothing happens. No download, no streaming, nothing.

I have tried re-installing Flash 10, going through all the advice found on this (in an old thread) and other forums, but still nothing!

Does anyone else get this and has anyone been able to remedy the situation?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'm not a huge fan of 4OD, mainly because of the crashing issues could be resolved using browser controls, which are curiously absent as 4OD insists that it is a bit of standalone software instead of just a website!

Sorry, not massively helpful reply I'll admit, but have you tried reinstalling?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when you say re-install, did you just upgrade flash, or uninstall & do a fresh install?
    sometimes thats the problem, same with java, it dosnt always update properly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I did a whole bunch of re-installs of both flash and 4od. Then I started accessing 4od directly from the C4 website (http://vodapp.grid.channel4.com/c4site-web/menu.do) rather than through the download and suddenly it all started working!

So, I watched a few bits and pieces last night and then suddenly it wouldn't connect (timed out on each page).

And now, all of a sudden, the online access is doing exactly the same as the download - it won't work!

When I load the page in IE it always gives me the javascript error "Done but with errors on page" and then refuses to stream or download.

4od and ITV Catch up are, essentially, bollocks (and C4 won't answer tech questions!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edgexedge wrote: »
    when you say re-install, did you just upgrade flash, or uninstall & do a fresh install?
    sometimes thats the problem, same with java, it dosnt always update properly

I hate to scare you, but 4OD only really worked once I had reformatted my computer, and I mean completely blowing out the partitions and starting again from scratch!
  • Options
    dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Channel 4 will be completely relaunching their online stuff within the next 2 months anyway. I'm pretty sure they said they're dropping the 4OD 'front end' for streaming and having their service the same the BBC iPlayer - with you only needing the specific 4OD thingy for downloading shows.

Talking of 4OD and downloading with BBC iPlayer - anyone got these two to work together? They use the same engine (Kontiki) but seem to not like each other because of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've run both with no problem, but I gave up on downloads as I've had far more luck with streaming, even on the BBC iPlayer high quality setting.
  • Options
    dronkuladronkula Posts: 2,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok - I've got another problem with 4OD, it seems that, when I stream programmes with it, sometimes I'll only actually get the last portion of it - it'll sort of 'start' after the ad breaks that they put into the show. For example, just tried watching this weeks Relocation Relocation, and it 'started' with a recap of the show so far including how the guy wants to buy a budget-busting house, whereas his girlfriend wants something cheaper.

Anyone else get that?