Cancelled festival or not, where do I stand?

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was all set to go to Alt-fest in 3 weeks time when on Wednesday rumours broke that it was cancelled.

A few bands had received an email from their manager saying it was cancelled and another bloke involved with Bloodstock made a statement to Virtual Festivals saying that, in short, it was a shambles.

For 24 hours the organisers didn't say anything like "we have heard the rumours, we will be with you shortly, please be patient", instead the rumours grew, bands were putting up "cancelled" on their tour pages and then taking it down and a lot of bands were left hanging saying they had no idea wtf is happening :(

Alt-fest then broke their silence 24 hours later said something to the effect of "we're sorry, we'll issue a statement Monday".

Since then, Tangerine Fields, the Big Green Bus company and Amazon Local has emailed people saying its cancelled and have started issuing refunds. but many bands STILL dodnt know what was happening and they have stopped answering peoples emails.

Now there are rumours abound that the festival is downsizing and will still be going ahead, but just about every band I wanted to see have said they're cancelled.

The company I bought my tickets through have said they cant issue a refund until the organisers say it is cancelled.

I just want to know where I stand wrt Sale of Goods. I don't want to go to the festival now because of the ones I wanted to see aren't there, and I paid for a particular festival and we (might) be getting something else.

Can I demand a refund as the festival is very different to what I bought tickets for or can I claim through my credit card for the same reason? Or can I not go and send my tickets back saying I didn't get what I paid for?

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Are there not terms and conditions on the ticket or site where you bought it?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I can't help there, but I've been following this shambles through FB status updates from friends who were supposed to be going, and you have my sympathy; they've really dicked a hell of a lot of people around.
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terms and conditions are important, but never overide the law.

Legally if you cancel because a band you wanted to see isn't attending you are unlikely to be entitled to a refund. Lineups can change and will almost certainly be in the T&C

If however the event has changed to such a degree that it is no longer as described then you would be entitled to a refund. An example would be advertising 10 bands and only getting 2 or promoting top name talent and not getting people at that level.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Are there not terms and conditions on the ticket or site where you bought it?

yes, clubtickets say we can get a refund in the event of a cancellation.

So, so far its not officially cancelled and the rumours are it will be downsized. But it is going to be a lot different to what I paid money for, so Im wondering if there is something in the sale of goods act?

stoatie wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can't help there, but I've been following this shambles through FB status updates from friends who were supposed to be going, and you have my sympathy; they've really dicked a hell of a lot of people around.

Good lord have they ever! The way its been handled is an utter disgrace :(

I feel for the people who have said they're coming from as far as Canada, Mexico, Austria, the US etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sargeant80 wrote: »
    Terms and conditions are important, but never overide the law.

Legally if you cancel because a band you wanted to see isn't attending you are unlikely to be entitled to a refund. Lineups can change and will almost certainly be in the T&C

If however the event has changed to such a degree that it is no longer as described then you would be entitled to a refund. An example would be advertising 10 bands and only getting 2 or promoting top name talent and not getting people at that level.

That's how it is looking at the moment. Nearly all the big names - Marylin Manson, Gary Numan, Killing Joke, Fields of the Nephilim, the Cult, Combichrist, Cradle of Filth, Sister of Mercy etc etc have all said cancelled - some have even rescheduled and got new dates in other towns now.
    Plus a load of the other names not, just the biggies
  • Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The law isn't black and white and its very much down to a judges opinion.

The courts wouldn't accept an event promoting big name talent and replacing them with pub bands.

Only major issue with major multi artist shows is what a judge would consider a reasonable replacement for a cancelled act.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just looked at the Sale of Goods Act briefly and it doesn't cover concerts :(
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been following this mess on facebook through friends who were due to attend - sounds like a night mare.

There might be some information on the which.co.uk site here: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-get-a-refund-on-my-ticket-
    Although having a brief read through it does state:
    When you’re not entitled to a refund
    But you're not entitled to a refund for the ticket if an understudy appears in place of a show's headline star, or a headlining artist changes from the ones advertised on a music festival line-up.

Which doesn't bode well OP :(

Also, might be worth getting in contact with STAR, the Society of Ticket Agents & Retailers - they can be found here: http://www.star.org.uk/ and see what their guidelines would make of the situation.

I know some people have already contacted their credit card companies to enquire about refunds - it may be worth ringing them up and having a chat to see what they recommend?

Fingers crossed you get a refund from somewhere OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all good :)

An announcement came through from the organisers offering thier deepest apologies blah blah blaming everything else but themsleves yawn yawn and it is CANCELLED!

so we get a refund :)

it would have been a f***ing fantastic festival if they had managed to actually put on what they promised.

Hey ho, we got a eekend in Belper in the Campervan with the dog instead :)