Urgent advice needed

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, could anyone please advise me what to do, my roof is leaking very badly in 5 places, I've put buckets down but they overflow every 30 mins, it's a private landlord and he isn't picking up his phone...if it's left like this the floor will flood overnight and I'm worried about electric devices etc. Who do I call at this time? My flatmate is out and I'm in on my own.

Comments

• CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's that bad I'd call a local roofer and they can do a temporary fix but you'll have to pay and tell your landlord you did it to avoid a more costly problem. Check your local yellow pages for roofers.

Or you could put out an SOS on Facebook.

Or if you can get to the roof you could temporarily patch it, B&Q may be open near you but you'd have to hurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    That must be quite scary! Whenever anything like this happens my first thought is 'I NEED AN ADULT!!!'

I don't have any advice sadly. Do you have enough money to have someone out if the landlord doesn't pick up? If so, I would do that and invoice him the bill. Actually, who am I kidding? I'd call my Mum. lol
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much do these repairs cost normally? I don't have very much in the bank :(
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member
    How much do these repairs cost normally? I don't have very much in the bank :(

Friday night out of hours callout charge will be quite hefty I would have thought + a temp repair. Over a hundred quid I reckon.

Have these problems been evident before? 5 leaks springing up simultaneously out of nowhere seems a bit unlikely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Honestly have no idea sorry :( I'd think at least a hundred, maybe more?
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call the fire brigade and tell them what is happening. They may come out (there could be a charge) or they could give you alternative advice who to contact.

Good luck
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the fire brigade and tell them what is happening. They may come out (there could be a charge) or they could give you alternative advice who to contact.

Good luck

I'd be amazed if they came out for this. Sadly and I know this isn't a good answer, but I'd be emptying buckets until I got hold of the landlord.

Really good luck with this though, hope it has a happy ending.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously wouldn't pay for it yourself as it might cause you all kinds of problems, not the least of which is getting your money back.

Get an independent witness when you try to contact the landlord. You could also contact the council for advice, because all properties have to be registered: www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/landlord-responsibilities

This is from Ireland, but I'm sure similar principles apply:
    http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/advice/renting_privately/advice_landlords/standards_of_fitness.htm

More advice here: uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100225065720AA5Msz8
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be amazed if they came out for this..

I did do an internet search first (that's how I know about the charging bit) and some do
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put out a call on FB for baby baths, huge buckets or plastic storage ... I'm afraid if the rain dont stop you will have to sit up all night.

Get some goodies and a few films and make a fun night of it.

Hope the rain stops soon. The river has burst ( I think) where my niece is and she is trying to stop her home flooding :(
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, could anyone please advise me what to do, my roof is leaking very badly in 5 places, I've put buckets down but they overflow every 30 mins, it's a private landlord and he isn't picking up his phone...if it's left like this the floor will flood overnight and I'm worried about electric devices etc. Who do I call at this time? My flatmate is out and I'm in on my own.
    OK, do not spend your money, barbeler is right on this. this is not your problem although it is.

Take all portable belongings and put them into one dry room.

Use your phone to video buckets filling.

Tonight/tomorrow sleep at friends, small hotel, keep all receipts, keep trying to contact LL send texts.

Next week start looking for new accommodation unless LL starts putting things right immediately.

Send receipts to LL.

If you are putting buckets out and they are filling that quick, those are serious leaks, LL might be able to patch, sounds like a new roof to me.

Find new accommodation, get you deposit back.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you get into the roof space? Up there there may only be one leak so it will be easier to manage.
    Its likely to be a slipped tile or maybe a blocked gutter. If you can get onto the roof you could possibly fix yourself, though dont take any risks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    Friday night out of hours callout charge will be quite hefty I awould have thought + a temp repair. Over a hundred quid I reckon.

Have these problems been evident before? 5 leaks springing up simultaneously out of nowhere seems a bit unlikely.

Yes this started 2 months ago, at first it was just 1 leak and it was just small drops of water. We told the landlord but he's done nothing and it's gradually got worse. Today is the worst, have never seen the likes of it. It's eased up now thankfully but earlier it was steams of water, like a tap. I'm worried that we'll get flooded if it rains heavily overnight though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I seriously wouldn't pay for it yourself as it might cause you all kinds of problems, not the least of which is getting your money back.

Get an independent witness when you try to contact the landlord. You could also contact the council for advice, because all properties have to be registered: www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/landlord-responsibilities

This is from Ireland, but I'm sure similar principles apply:
    http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/advice/renting_privately/advice_landlords/standards_of_fitness.htm

More advice here: uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100225065720AA5Msz8

Thanks for the links, will look into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Can you get into the roof space? Up there there may only be one leak so it will be easier to manage.
    Its likely to be a slipped tile or maybe a blocked gutter. If you can get onto the roof you could possibly fix yourself, though dont take any risks!

No, there is actually another flat above me, I've just been up and they don't have any water on, plus their flat is completely dry. There is a bit of roof directly above my window which is exposed to the rain, that's the only thing I can think of. But I really have no idea about any of this stuff. I've called a number of roofers and they're baffled too, it's difficult to know without them seeing it. They can't come out til tomorrow morning anyway, and I'm really weary of calling them out without checking with my landlord. But he's out of the country and never picks up calls. We just keep emailing him and he fobs us off. I only came to this city 9 weeks ago and while I've made new friends, I don't feel comfortable asking them if I can stay with them as I don't know them that well yet. So I have nowhere to go :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put out a call on FB for baby baths, huge buckets or plastic storage ... I'm afraid if the rain dont stop you will have to sit up all night.

Get some goodies and a few films and make a fun night of it.

Hope the rain stops soon. The river has burst ( I think) where my niece is and she is trying to stop her home flooding :(

Oh no, that sounds worse than my situation...hope she is Ok! The people I the flat above gave me some buckets thankfully. It's manaegable now but I'm shattered after a busy week and will fall asleep...
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure it is coming from through the roof? Does this only happen when it rains? If not, try turning off the water (usually this is done under the kitchen sink) and see if that stops the water running through. Could be a leaky pipe running above your ceiling or something.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Are you sure it is coming from through the roof? Does this only happen when it rains? If not, try turning off the water (usually this is done under the kitchen sink) and see if that stops the water running through. Could be a leaky pipe running above your ceiling or something.

That sounds more likely if the flat above is dry. I hope you get it sorted out soon :(
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds more likely if the flat above is dry. I hope you get it sorted out soon :(
    I thought to that but water pipes don't just leak when it rains.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. Bit of a mystery then.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok - theres a flat above that is ok, but the water only comes in when it rains. Its got to be something to do with a drainpipe - a blockage halfway down that sends water into the building between vintage_girl's flat and the one above.
    Its getting late - if it were me I'd gather all my electrical equipement up and place it off the floor then bugger off to a travelodge for the night - let the land lord sort it when he makes an appearance.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Ok - theres a flat above that is ok, but the water only comes in when it rains. Its got to be something to do with a drainpipe - a blockage halfway down that sends water into the building between vintage_girl's flat and the one above.
    Its getting late - if it were me I'd gather all my electrical equipement up and place it off the floor then bugger off to a travelodge for the night - let the land lord sort it when he makes an appearance.
    Or find a load of broken electrical equipment in a skip, claim it was damaged by the water and send the landlord an invoice for the cost of replacement.
  • ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure that you ask for full details with your quote when asking around for local merchants who can fix your roof. Then you would need to send it to the landlord who can cover the whole cost of the roof.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies...if anything it helped to talk to people as I was stuck in on my own all night with water gushing everywhere! The landlord eventually got back to me, he gave me the number for a roofer he's called before, who reassured me I don't need to pay, he'd be invoicing the landlord directly. He's coming tonight. Turns out the leaks are caused by a gutter directly above my windows, possibly a blocked drainpipe. Hopefully all will be sorted tonight.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies...if anything it helped to talk to people as I was stuck in on my own all night with water gushing everywhere! The landlord eventually got back to me, he gave me the number for a roofer he's called before, who reassured me I don't need to pay, he'd be invoicing the landlord directly. He's coming tonight. Turns out the leaks are caused by a gutter directly above my windows, possibly a blocked drainpipe. Hopefully all will be sorted tonight.

As I started reading through from the top I guessed that would be the case.

Glad its gonna get sorted.