Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Interesting that these are all season premieres or finales save one.
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    And that four of the eight are written by Jack Lothian (50%), when he only wrote thirteen of the forty-six episodes by my count (about 28%).
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Interesting that these are all season premieres or finales save one.

I believe 4 of the 8 were written by Jack Lothian --?
  • Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Yeah for Jack Lothian!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Golly - he looks SO young!

http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/jack-lothian/
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's an old photo, but yes, he used to be a looker! Woof! :kitty::p:blush::D
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that four of the eight are written by Jack Lothian (50%), when he only wrote thirteen of the forty-six episodes by my count (about 28%).

Lothian seems to be "The Closer" and sometimes "The Opener", too, with 6 episodes either starting or ending or both of a series.;-):D

And don't forget he also wrote the first failed wedding ep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lothian seems to be "The Closer" and sometimes "The Opener", too, with 6 episodes either starting or ending or both of a series.;-):D

And don't forget he also wrote the first failed wedding ep.

And for good reason! He's certainly one of my favourite writers. Seems that others agree, seeing as his episodes dominate the results of Shop Girl's top eight :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Question - when do we find out who the writers will be for S7? Is that information available prior to airing? Or not until the credits roll?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question - when do we find out who the writers will be for S7? Is that information available prior to airing? Or not until the credits roll?

We'll have to wait and watch!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awwwww. really? we don't have any way of finding out beforehand?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lothian seems to be their "go-to" guy for critical episodes, and he hits it out of the park usually, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see his name on the first and last episodes of S7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merry Christmas to all my bodmin Doc Martin fan friends!

Rob

p.s. And to you who are not bodmin, Merry Christmas as well! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to all my bodmin Doc Martin fan friends!

Rob

p.s. And to you who are not bodmin, Merry Christmas as well! :)

Same to you Rob! Thank you for your delightful fanfic stories! :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what would any of us do with that info? Campaign the writers for a particular storyline or plot? Try to interject characters of our own choosing? Etc, etc, etc?

I'm quite certain that they do not want or need our help. Phillipa Braithwaite, Mark Crowdy and Martin Clunes are likely to have things well in hand...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goodness! Just want to know, that's all. This is the spoilers trail, no?
    Happy holidays to one and all
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what would any of us do with that info? Campaign the writers for a particular storyline or plot? Try to interject characters of our own choosing? Etc, etc, etc?

I'm quite certain that they do not want or need our help. Phillipa Braithwaite, Mark Crowdy and Martin Clunes are likely to have things well in hand...

Seems to me we have all put our two cents in for the way we want the storyline to go. The powers that be have a different vision, and that is fine with me.
    Robspace thank you for your fanfiction contribution. With all the troubles in this world it's nice to sink in and escape to a DM fanfiction story. So many of you out there have given us many pleasurable hours of reading. One question I want to ask of you, Robspace, is when you write a story, do you know the ending firsthand or do you just go along and see where it takes you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nothing more than curiousity! I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to contact any of the writers, even if I wanted to :)

I would imagine that, as we are only a few months away (yay!) from the start of filming, that much of the storyline and perhaps the individual episodes are already well established.

And a very Merry/Happy Christmas to all of you!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing more than curiousity! I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to contact any of the writers, even if I wanted to :)

I would imagine that, as we are only a few months away (yay!) from the start of filming, that much of the storyline and perhaps the individual episodes are already well established.

And a very Merry/Happy Christmas to all of you!

AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.....3 months to filming...way hey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Robspace thank you for your fanfiction contribution. With all the troubles in this world it's nice to sink in and escape to a DM fanfiction story. So many of you out there have given us many pleasurable hours of reading. One question I want to ask of you, Robspace, is when you write a story, do you know the ending firsthand or do you just go along and see where it takes you?

Do I know what the ending will be? No, usually not. As Billy Letts ( who wrote 'Where The Heart Is') put it: "Sometimes the characters develop their own voice and I have to let them tell their own story." Not that I am at her level, but I agree.

In a few cases I have outlined the story because it was complicated enough without that roadmap I'd not be able to get it done. Other times, wimsey and the Muses lead me on. To paraphrase Benny Anderson (yes of ABBA fame) any act of creation requires the author to sit outside a cave each day and be ready for when the dragon comes out. Sometimes it does emerge, other times it is not even the right cave, but you have to be patient and work hard, or you will miss the dragon.

Make any sense?
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I know what the ending will be? No, usually not. As Billy Letts ( who wrote 'Where The Heart Is') put it: "Sometimes the characters develop their own voice and I have to let them tell their own story." Not that I am at her level, but I agree.

In a few cases I have outlined the story because it was complicated enough without that roadmap I'd not be able to get it done. Other times, wimsey and the Muses lead me on. To paraphrase Benny Anderson (yes of ABBA fame) any act of creation requires the author to sit outside a cave each day and be ready for when the dragon comes out. Sometimes it does emerge, other times it is not even the right cave, but you have to be patient and work hard, or you will miss the dragon.

Make any sense?

Robspace: It makes sense - up to your last sentence - then opens up another question: If you "miss the dragon", then what? Do you put it aside for the time being and "walk around it in your mind", wait for the patience to kick in before you move forward? I am not a writer and know full well I have no talent for it. I admire your fan fiction contributions, as well as all the other contributors, and marvel at how you can make the reader feel you are well acquainted with the people involved. I believe I read recently, in a thin book about Arthur Conan Doyle (yes, that same book that the author gave the incorrect number of stories written by ACD!!) that ACD said as a writer of detective stories, he has to know the ending first and then work backwards. He said that skill made him invaluable to the police in solving crimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Robspace: It makes sense - up to your last sentence - then opens up another question: If you "miss the dragon", then what? Do you put it aside for the time being and "walk around it in your mind", wait for the patience to kick in before you move forward? I am not a writer and know full well I have no talent for it. I admire your fan fiction contributions, as well as all the other contributors, and marvel at how you can make the reader feel you are well acquainted with the people involved. I believe I read recently, in a thin book about Arthur Conan Doyle (yes, that same book that the author gave the incorrect number of stories written by ACD!!) that ACD said as a writer of detective stories, he has to know the ending first and then work backwards. He said that skill made him invaluable to the police in solving crimes.

Sometimes the dragon comes out at 4AM! :) Then it is a matter of lying in the dark piecing the next part of the story together. A lot of fiction is "written backwards" and there are TV shows and movies clearly done that way. In the case of Doc Martin a lot of us want Louisa and Martin to be a healthy and loving couple... that is end of that story arc for me. Will Series 7 get us there and how? Things to ponder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Happy new year to fellow DM fans around the globe!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more week to vote in the final two surveys! Reminder - only one vote per person in each survey!

Final Four episodes:

S1E6 Haemophobia
    S3E5 The Holly Bears a Prickle
    S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye
    S5E8 Ever After

Episodes 5 - 8

S2E8 Erotomania
    S5E1 Preserve the Romance
    S6E1 Sickness and Health
    S6E8 Departure

http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
  • Options
    Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Hello - looking forward to the new series of Doc Martin. I have enjoyed reading your threads/discussions. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.