Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    I've had the same problem. Glad it's not just me!!

Out of interest what platform was everyone watching it on , just wondering if the sound could be down to the carrier, Freeview , Sky etc. It was ok on Virgin for me and I checked Iplayer and it seems ok there.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    attempting to watch but I dislike James Nesbitt, think he's very overrated
    myss wrote: »
    I'm not that keen on him either, weird-ish face to take seriously - like Milliband, and I agree that he's overrated. Forcing myself to watch to see if I've got that that wrong. So far, no.

I've never particularly liked him either, I put it on without realising he was in it and found it boring.

Like others, I find him very overated as an actor and can't abide the way he speaks.

He seems to have toned down his horrible harsh accent/voice, but on Alan Carr last Friday he seemed a bit stuck up- he didn't laugh at Alan's joke about something in his hand. Perhaps crude innuendos are beneath him now?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never particularly liked him either, I put it on without realising he was in it and found it boring.

Like others, I find him very overated as an actor and can't abide the way he speaks.

He seems to have toned down his horrible harsh accent/voice, but on Alan Carr last Friday he seemed a bit stuck up- he didn't laugh at Alan's joke about something in his hand. Perhaps crude innuendos are beneath him now?

He cannot help his natural accent.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or maybe he's grown up a bit and he's got kids?? His two daughters are actually in the 2nd Hobbit and 3rd Hobbit films, they play Bard's daughters.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis on this thread I'll give it a miss, it sound utterly rubbish, can't stand Nesbitt either.
  • Options
    p1xiep1xie Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    In our local charity shop, the donors are encouraged to register for the sale of the goods to be tax exempt for the shop.
    You are given a card which has your NI number, name and address on it. When you take in your bagfuls of stuff, your card number is tagged onto the bag, which is sorted, valued and listed before going on the shelf. So yes, it IS possible that the shop will know the source of the donated items.
    I'm a charity shop manager for a very large UK charity, which is why I picked up on this in the first place. Yes, we ask people to sign up for Gift Aid, so their bags are tagged with their Gift Aid number once they've signed the form, but as we get the equivalent of up to 20 black bags of donations daily, we wouldn't have the time to itemise every single item in a donation individually, either when they're donated or when they're sold - they just have a numbered sticker when they're priced, to preserve the donor's anonymity (and the number is certainly not their NI number, because you should never give that to anyone except an employer or the taxman!) The charity is obliged by law to tell you how much your goods have raised, but they would have no individual record of what those items are. We do itemise valuable items like gold or silver jewellery or other high-value goods for security purposes, but even then, we wouldn't include the details of who they were donated by. I suppose the only exception to this would be if we received something like a firearm or drugs, which would need to reported to the police.

The other thing is that if our goods aren't sold within 2-3 weeks, they're taken off the shop floor, so even if I could believe that in a small charity shop they might leave them longer, I find it hard to believe they'd allow shop floor space to an unsold little scarf for several years!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

It depends, some people think it's an asset. Take Neil Oliver, his is a far broader Scots accent than it once was. I mentioned on a different thread; "If it gets any broader we're gonna need subtitles."

Most actors can affect different accents, soften their own, or lose them completely. It's the job. He makes no effort at all and his grates.

John Thaw, bless him, was a Mancunian from Longsight but in "Morse," you wouldn't have know it. He didn't go to RADA until he was sixteen,
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it and liked it. If i want to know what happens next then it must be doing something right. I must admit i did get a shock at the end when i saw Daddy Big-Ears picture on the wall. Olly was there! Now we just need to find out why and who.

Nice to see Arsher Ali from E4's Beaver Falls, Ch4's Complicit and Four Lions in this although i don't like his character much.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The key to it all is the conversation with the father in law in the hotel garden I think, they didn't go to all the trouble of setting up that scene without reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The key to it all is the conversation with the father in law in the hotel garden I think, they didn't go to all the trouble of setting up that scene without reason

Possibly. Sounds like maybe they got upto somethign dodgy and maybe someone followed them to France and abducted their son as revenge?? Who knows.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It depends, some people think it's an asset. Take Neil Oliver, his is a far broader Scots accent than it once was. I mentioned on a different thread; "If it gets any broader we're gonna need subtitles."

Most actors can affect different accents, soften their own, or lose them completely. It's the job. He makes no effort at all and his grates.

John Thaw, bless him, was a Mancunian from Longsight but in "Morse," you wouldn't have know it. He didn't go to RADA until he was sixteen,

John Thaw was a wonderful actor though. Nesbit...less so.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That the woman who donated the scarf would just let two totally strange men with no identification in to "ask a few questions". "Absolutely not" would be my response to that, or words to that effect.

They weren't two 'strange men'. She remembered James Nesbitt's character, so it's not surprising that she let them in.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I watched it and liked it. If i want to know what happens next then it must be doing something right. I must admit i did get a shock at the end when i saw Daddy Big-Ears picture on the wall. Olly was there! Now we just need to find out why and who.

Nice to see Arsher Ali from E4's Beaver Falls, Ch4's Complicit and Four Lions in this although i don't like his character much.

Thank you, its been bugging me all night where I knew him from.
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Thomas Cook representative wot dun it.
  • Options
    alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of interest what platform was everyone watching it on , just wondering if the sound could be down to the carrier, Freeview , Sky etc. It was ok on Virgin for me and I checked Iplayer and it seems ok there.

I was watching on Virgin and the sound was off at times, the first time I went to turn it up I went to 23 which I never do and thought it may be me as im a little bit deaf in one ear so asked hubbie before i turned it up and deafened him but he said he was having trouble too.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As an actor he should be able to!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that incredibly gripping. Can't wait for next week's episode.

I can imagine that if you did come across a basement in a house, you would naturally assume the worst.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Possibly. Sounds like maybe they got upto somethign dodgy and maybe someone followed them to France and abducted their son as revenge?? Who knows.

I think so too. There was a man loitering when they were in the pool, for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I think so too. There was a man loitering when they were in the pool, for no apparent reason.

Yes, i spotted that too! He gave a quick glance to Olly and his dad. Found that very noticeable. I wonder if it was him who snatched him from the bar?
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant opening episode.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Brilliant opening episode.

Just watched it and thought the same. Those fussing about the names being kept at the charity shop are being far too pedantic. Without it they would never find him and the series would have finished there. It's bloody fiction ffs. They are allowed some artistic licence to make it work. It's a slow burner, which makes a change. Love it.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ref: the yellow scarf. When Ollie was being dried off after the pool, the dad put a yellow scarf on his head, it looked like a towel to me at first. As the story went on and the scarf was mentioned realized that is what it was.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p1xie wrote: »
    The other thing is that if our goods aren't sold within 2-3 weeks, they're taken off the shop floor, so even if I could believe that in a small charity shop they might leave them longer, I find it hard to believe they'd allow shop floor space to an unsold little scarf for several years!

I donated some CDs to one of my local (big name) charity shops 3-4 years ago, and they're still there. (Obviously I'm very offended about this comment on my taste in music... :D)
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I thought this was good and am gripped, even if it has ripped off the Broadchurch atmosphere/music etc. The mother knows something for sure, and her liaison with the guy with the nose is intriging.
    Not sure it was that sympathetic, re. the McCanns scenario, but best not go there!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Just watched it and thought the same. Those fussing about the names being kept at the charity shop are being far too pedantic. Without it they would never find him and the series would have finished there. It's bloody fiction ffs. They are allowed some artistic licence to make it work. It's a slow burner, which makes a change. Love it.

Quite, i mean who cares about some footballer's haircut being the in the wrong World Cup clip!