Suggest some horror films

MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
Forum Member
✭✭
Can anyone help me with some suggestions of horror films for my daughter's Xmas present? I don't know much about horror, but some of her favourites are:

Orphan
Sinister
Mama

Don't know if these are considered to be any good but something similar or better would be good.

Comments

• ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult because if she's a horror fan she may have seen all the best. Some really good relatively recent ones include The Conjuring, The Purge, Insidious. Most of these are high on the radar though. A recent one that i thought was good was Oculus.

There are lots of classics of course but a lot depends on taste. Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch Project, The Ring. Going back a bit further, American Werewolf in London, The Exorcist, Rosemarys Baby.

Or as a novel idea you could just buy the Luther TV series, parts of that are actually quite creepy!
  • JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    The Thing (80's)
    Jeepers Creepers
    Let the Right One In (Swedish)
    House of 1000 Corpses
    28 Days Later
    Shaun of the Dead
    Hellraiser
    The Fog (80's)
    Donnie Darko (OK not horror, but still great)
    Silent Hill (Marmite movie, but I like it)
    The Dead Zone
    Rare Exports (great movie from Finland, sort of horror)

I'm showing my age with quite a few of these :)
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Evil Dead 2
    John Carpenter's The Thing
    House of 1000 Corpses
    The Eye (the 2002 japanese version)

and don't forget horror comedies:

Black Sheep
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil
    Dead Snow
    Braindead
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Babadook is similar to those, but I doubt it will be out on DVD before Xmas. The Conjuring is also similar and one of the most popular of the past year.
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Descent
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much for all these suggestions.

She's a teenager so she won't have seen that much, but says she's not a fan of the usual teen horror movies.

Are her favourites supposed to be any good? Where do they fit in the genre?
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    The Babadook is similar to those, but I doubt it will be out on DVD before Xmas. The Conjuring is also similar and one of the most popular of the past year.

I imported that on Blu-ray from Australia. Very good.
  • JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    Thanks very much for all these suggestions.

She's a teenager so she won't have seen that much, but says she's not a fan of the usual teen horror movies.

Are her favourites supposed to be any good? Where do they fit in the genre?

I've only seen Orphan which I really enjoyed. The others I've heard are pretty good as well. I'd say they were in the Horror genre, if perhaps loosely. I'd suggest get a varied mix of some of the suggestions given to open her up to the different types of Horror, some she then may prefer over others.
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Housebound today and liked it. It's a horror with bits of comedy thrown in.