Options

World's Greatest Food Markets - BBC2 Sundays 9pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Billingsgate trader Roger Barton follows his dream of visiting and trading in the world's greatest food markets.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp8kd

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Ep1 tonight

New York
    Following a dream of visiting - and trading in - the world's greatest food markets, Billingsgate trader Roger Barton heads across the Atlantic to New York's New Fulton market, the biggest and roughest fish market in America. Can he compete with its ruthless traders and the worst winter storms in decades to make a profit?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I'm watching, missed the first 15.
    It's nice to see Roger in more subdued mode here.
    Looks like he's getting shellacking here.
    I don't understand why the buyers aren't playing the two traders off against each other.

Edit: IIRC from the last fish market program set in London aren't the Chinese into Eells, they've taken to importing them.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jellied eels are an acquired taste at the best of time
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those eels look like the most disgusting food ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »

I'm a Londoner and I've never had them, I'll see them in the reduced freezer at the Supermarket at some point and give them a bash.

As for the other comment about the look of them, I don't think any fish looks good when they still look like fish, shiny skin and bones.

Oh Roger's onto a good thing buy direct off the boat, bet it wasn't cheap despite Dave the fisherman.
    Don't know what the American bloke is moaning about, bitter, bitten after all his big talk about how hard he is.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Londoner and I've never had them, I'll see them in the reduced freezer at the Supermarket at some point and give them a bash.

As for the other comment about the look of them, I don't think any fish looks good when they still look like fish, shiny skin and bones.

Oh Roger's onto a good thing buy direct off the boat, bet it wasn't cheap despite Dave the fisherman.
    Don't know what the American bloke is moaning about, bitter, bitten after all his big talk about how hard he is.

Use to have them when I was growing up in Walthamstow but never really liked them
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seemed a bit contrived at the end there.

and the fat American was right about the eels. Everyone who wants to eat it on a regular basis is long gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mounty wrote: »
    Seemed a bit contrived at the end there.

and the fat American was right about the eels. Everyone who wants to eat it on a regular basis is long gone.

Yet the Chinese bloke punted it all to the Chinese noodle houses.
    Still pretty sure it was the Chinese buying them in London, but I think they might have been live.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why the buyers aren't playing the two traders off against each other.
    I imagine that the traders have certain agreements between each other--at least informal ones. The little sequence with Frank screwing over Roger's prices notwithstanding, I mean, which was in large part for the camera I bet.

At one time this was all run by the Mafia. While the overt Mafia presence is gone, the guys that escaped being scooped up by the City going after the mobsters still work somewhat in that mode of handshake deals, not crossing each other, and consequences if they do (maybe not murdering anyone anymore who does, but applying some other pressure, like maybe sicking some friend at the Health or Food safety departments on them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not the most interesting show in the world. The series concentrating on the London markets was a lot better imo.

Do they have a swearing quota? At the beginning the F bomb was bleeped but later in the show there were two or three uncensored.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not the most interesting show in the world. The series concentrating on the London markets was a lot better imo.

Do they have a swearing quota? At the beginning the F bomb was bleeped but later in the show there were two or three uncensored.

Ahh something to pass the time, London Markets different beast altogether IMO, mostly because it's at 'home' and holds more interest for me, so I wanted more of the nitty gritty background and history.
    Got far more annoyed with London Markets because it didn't do enough of the background and went looking for characters.
    This is just one of those task based shows with a bit of history thrown in, Roger's a bit less 'Roger' than usual.

Yeah, the production staff probably did have a discussion and trade off over swear words with management, it's been discussed in retrospective docs over the years.
    Radio Active got away with Mike Hunt for about 3 series before someone in management cottoned on IIRC, then it was too late to do anything.
    Similar to Kenneth Horne radio shows and the polari (sp) that they got away with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least they had a person who knew what they were doing.

Could have been Sue Perkins presenting it the way things are going.

I liked Roger's surprise when in the asian store. Live turtles! Frogs! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    LostFool wrote: »
    Those eels look like the most disgusting food ever.
    Not sure why he didn't ship in live and smooked eel. It may have been a better selling point than jellied eels.

Also why not kippers and stovies?

I realise they're not fresh fish and it was a fresh fish market but neither are jellied eels. They're pre-cooked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tonight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sxzn2
    Mexico
    World's Greatest Food Markets Episode 2 of 3

Following a dream of visiting and trading in the world's greatest food markets, Billingsgate fish merchant Roger Barton heads to Mexico City's Central de Abasto, the largest food market on the planet. In feeding one of the world's biggest megacities, ten billion US dollars flow through each year. He's got his work cut out winning over the market as there's not a single fish in sight.

• Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he got done over big time with them chillies

but he didn't speak the lingo so he was always in a disadvantage
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's good that everything doesn't automatically come right for him in the end.

enjoying this little series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    drillbit wrote: »
    he got done over big time with them chillies

but he didn't speak the lingo so he was always in a disadvantage

Did he ever, the Chilli Don did look the part in his office though didn't he, I don't think anyone at home said 'but he seemed such a nice fella'
    I'm guessing he fed Roger the information on the grower, maybe indirectly so he could stitch him up, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's a bit of an odd construct just to get an insight into various markets around the world and people in them, I suppose latching onto Roger draws people in, like Mason McQueen and his cabbie series.

I was wondering how they'd got Roger away from his businesses in London, I suppose it's kinda explained tonight that his Missus has died.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good one tonight in delhi

we saw the other side to Roger the ol'bastard ;-)
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen Roger in action a few times at Billingsgate over the years. I used to deliver to The Isle of Dogs many moons ago, and before that used to go there with my Dad as a customer (at the previous location)

He certainly lived up to his name and used to swear like a trooper. But he was as straight as a dye. Even when it was to his own detriment. Must admit I am surprised he still works there ... he looked really old even back then.

I have only seen the New York ep so far. Will watch the other two soon. He's quite a character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's been a while but I finally watched the final episode in India today.

I thought it was the best of them.
    I thought it was interesting that the new breed of middlemen were on old Roger's wavelength about money being everything despite the old guard saying it was all about honour of hard work and family tradition.

Also that Roger changed his view and donated his festival profits and decided to give buyers credit - although that may have been just for the cameras as the wink might tell.

Shame about the cows. Plenty of food waste to eat up and I bet there's plenty need of milk for all the tea drunk in that place.