Options

Bin Lorry Crashes Into Pedestrians - Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice strawman, i haven't been making jokes sick (subjective) or otherwise constantly.

Not so nice evasion but hey ho.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I'm not trying to make a big deal out of anything. I'm just genuinely curious as to what it is that you find funny about this.

I already explained it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Not so nice evasion but hey ho.

It isn't hard to evade a strawman, they've got no legs.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The families of the victims will be angry and want answers so this driver better explain himself when he is awake

It seems the poor sod was taken ill at the wheel, what is there to explain?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't hard to evade a strawman, they've got no legs.

Spare some time from your comedy script writing and look up the meaning of "strawman"
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The families of the victims will be angry and want answers so this driver better explain himself when he is awake

Oh for Pete's sake! Is there any subject you won't troll on? >:(
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Is that a threat?

edit: What if he can't? What if he blacked out and had no knowledge about what happened?

That poster is a prolific troll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spare some time from your comedy script writing and look up the meaning of "strawman"

I don't need to, you've provided a perfect example of one.

I said

it is possible to feel compassion for the victims of a tragedy and at the same time find aspects of it humorous.

You said

I'm sure the grieving are making sick jokes constantly.

Perfect strawman argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't need to, you've provided a perfect example of one.

I said

it is possible to feel compassion for the victims of a tragedy and at the same time find aspects of it humorous.

You said

I'm sure the grieving are making sick jokes constantly.

Perfect strawman argument.

Nope, wrong but Happy Christmas anyhow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, wrong but Happy Christmas anyhow.

Really?

Explain why.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the driver is getting support dealing with this as it could send him over the edge and he could do himself harm. Unfortunately his identity will probably leak in some newspaper they have no consciouns they just want the exclusive.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm sure the grieving in this or any other tragic situation are making sick jokes constantly. But don't let that get in the way of you finding yourself highly amusing.

The grieving obviously won't be making any jokes but you can be sure others will be just the same as any major news story
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the driver is getting support dealing with this as it could send him over the edge and he could do himself harm. Unfortunately his identity will probably leak in some newspaper they have no consciouns they just want the exclusive.

It does seem strange that it still hasn't been confirmed several days on that the reason for this tragedy was a health issue suffered by the driver. I've noticed elsewhere mention of serious intoxication playing a part, if not the sole cause.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    It does seem strange that it still hasn't been confirmed several days on that the reason for this tragedy was a health issue suffered by the driver. I've noticed elsewhere mention of serious intoxication playing a part, if not the sole cause.

I think the police would have arrested and charged him by now if he was intoxicated it wouldn't take long for them to find out if he was over the limit. They probably tested him not long after the incident happened. if he was drunk any sympathy people have would turn to anger.

I have been thinking about the poor families of those who died a lot today particularly the lady who has lost her daughter and parents. They all have been in my prayers. I can't imagine how heartbroken they must feel. I feel so sorry for all those who have lost someone so near to Christmas. One of my relatives knows one of the victims in hospital she is only a young teenager.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I have spared a thought for these poor families today and appreciated the privilege of being with my family on Christmas Day even more.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I have spared a thought for these poor families today and appreciated the privilege of being with my family on Christmas Day even more.
    Same here.

Freak, tragic accidents like this always hit it home how precious it is to have your family and friends around you and that you just can't take anything for granted.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Could be that, could have been that he blacked out because of some other cause, such as a heart attack, unexpected epileptic fit, diabetic hypo or any number of other reasons.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serious intoxication, really? If someone was that drunk that they could cause an accident like this, surely someone at the depot would have noticed before he started driving? I have absolutely no idea what caused this, along with everyone else, we will be told in due course and no amount of wild speculation is really helping anyone.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Same here.

Freak, tragic accidents like this always hit it home how precious it is to have your family and friends around you and that you just can't take anything for granted.

*clicks an imaginary 'like'*

My thoughts too
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the police would have arrested and charged him by now if he was intoxicated it wouldn't take long for them to find out if he was over the limit. They probably tested him not long after the incident happened. if he was drunk any sympathy people have would turn to anger.

I have been thinking about the poor families of those who died a lot today particularly the lady who has lost her daughter and parents. They all have been in my prayers. I can't imagine how heartbroken they must feel. I feel so sorry for all those who have lost someone so near to Christmas. One of my relatives knows one of the victims in hospital she is only a young teenager.
    Without doubt the Police would have breath tested him within minutes or taken a blood sample. However i do think it would now be in everyones best interests for the Police to confirm the reason for the drivers collapse, if only to quash any rumours.

It seems an unnecessary delay and there needs be no other detail given than that really.

I thought about the families involved today.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    57 years old is heart attack country in Scotland.I suppose the 2 other binmen. have the answer to this terrible tragedy.I swear I saw one of them laughing whilst talking to a Policeman.Maybe he was in shock,and it hadn't sunk in yet.It happens.
    Thee's nothing coming out about the driver as the investigation is still ongoing.They have to get the facts straight before any statement.You'd expect nohing less considering the circumstances.Even a year on after the Clutha helicopter disaster they're only just about to announce the actual cause of the crash.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    57 years old is heart attack country in Scotland.I suppose the 2 other binmen. have the answer to this terrible tragedy.I swear I saw one of them laughing whilst talking to a Policeman.Maybe he was in shock,and it hadn't sunk in yet.It happens.
    Thee's nothing coming out about the driver as the investigation is still ongoing.They have to get the facts straight before any statement.You'd expect nohing less considering the circumstances.Even a year on after the Clutha helicopter disaster they're only just about to announce the actual cause of the crash.

Where you there that day?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Where you there that day?

Fortunately not.That kind of stuff won't leave those who have witnessed it.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately not.That kind of stuff won't leave those who have witnessed it.
    The few clips i've seen consisted of people running to the scene with lots of screaming in the background. I certainly neither saw nor heard anyone laughing or for that matter anyone i could positively identify as one of the two bin men who jumped from the truck.

As far as i know the only clips released are those which everyone else has seen on news media sites and YouTube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's still being treated in hospital. He's in a stable condition in the Western General.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30601657