Options

Waterloo Road star criticizes Best British single nomanations for the Teen Awards

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Scott Haining @scotthaining has just tweeted

Jesus Christ, is this really the best we've got?! #bbc #radio1teenawards

here is the list https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0QhkIDIQAAhM3u.jpg

what do you make of it , is it a weak list or do you think it is quite strong?

Comments

• Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a teen award ceremony, of course it's going to be sh@t. They probably have a best haircut category as well!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its patronising towards teens.... or by 'teens' do they mean 12-14 year olds?

back in my day when i was a 'teen' (lol) most of that material was for the 'teenyboppers' or pre-teen audience. by the time my generation was 15, music fans were into 'proper' music, from prog rock, heavy rock, punk rock ... rock mainly! lol. but ground breaking material.

i mean, whats in it for the 17-19 year olds? or havnt 17-19 year olds developed their taste yet?

im guessing that these awards are aimed at younger teens, the ones who havnt started growing up yet.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think i find the acting in waterloo road much more shocking then the list of songs nominated.

They make the cast of TOWIE look like Oscar winners
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem very similar to the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd say it's more aimed at younger teens or even the pre-teen market. It's probably aimed at the same demographic who would have read the likes of TOTP Magazine or Smash Hits.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Last weekend whilst I was in the garden, I overheard a couple of girls - probably around 9-10 years old, talking about One Direction.

So therefore I think they really need to rename these awards because it clearly isn't just "teens" who are voting. It's basically aimed at 8-14 year olds so from their point of view, it probably is the best songs of the last 12 months.

Sadly, I thought the later end of 2013 was piss weak for music to the point even I thought Story Of My Life was a great song and I'm not exactly a 1D fan, it's just that song was very good by their standards.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is teen related I think you can only expect so much. I mean not everyone is going to be able to perform like Michael Jackson did whilst in his teens.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would he expect to be on the shortlist? Ghost and Sing were hugely popular songs. One Direction and The Vamps are very popular with young girls. Crazy Stupid Love was a pretty big song and Cheryl always guarantees lots of media coverage.

The BBC are just providing what the target audience want. It's not literally about being the 'best' song, it just means the 'favourite' or 'most popular'.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 states that their target audience is 16-29 year olds, but this award show vainly attracts the 8-13 year old girl audience, most of which wouldn't even care for radio

Radio 1 = Radio F (for Fail)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Radio 1 states that their target audience is 16-29 year olds, but this award show vainly attracts the 8-13 year old girl audience, most of which wouldn't even care for radio

Radio 1 = Radio F (for Fail)

They were told by the BBC Trust they needed to drop the average age of their listenership, they are doing that. Why do people find this so hard to comprehend?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a list of songs that seem to stick out, like a bad rash.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were told by the BBC Trust they needed to drop the average age of their listenership, they are doing that. Why do people find this so hard to comprehend?

They were to get the average age below 30 (before it was 32 or something) and appeal more to the 16-29 demographic, I'm in that demographic and it doesn't appeal to me not anyone I know
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    It is teen related I think you can only expect so much. I mean not everyone is going to be able to perform like Michael Jackson did whilst in his teens.

.... but to be fair no one today has the training and encouragement from a very earlly age that he did.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because they pretend the station actually appeals to anyone over the age of 14.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... but to be fair no one today has the training and encouragement from a very earlly age that he did.

Given how his life turned out perhaps that's not such a bad thing.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just an opinion
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think he's being harsh, it's popular music, music that most people will listen to. Generally most people will like at least one of those songs on that list. The Vamps and 1D are probably listened to by a younger audience and Ed Sheeran by a bit older one.

Hell, millions of people of all ages listen to Capital and Heart on a daily basis, add "Hideaway" by Keiza and fscking "Happy" by Pharrell and that is their entire 2014 playlist.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the Teen Awards were created specifically to drive away those older listeners - although i'm not sure anybody over the age of about 14 is interested in these pile of shite awards.

It's the one week of the year I switch off Radio 1. Even during the weekdays when the target audience of teenage girls are at school they still bang on about it >:(

R1 need to stop focusing on the kids (who are probably more mature than R1 would like to believe!) and start aiming towards those of us in our 20's.