Options

Worst edit in the history of the show!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just caught up with this weeks episode.

- David filmed explaining he's had three losses and does not want another (now we regularly see little pieces like this from candidates, but it's what follows that spoils it)
- Alice is filmed explaining she hopes she wins again after not losing one single task so far

With the above alone, I came to the conclusion that David's team would win the task and that Alice would be fired.

We then got Alan singling them out and forcing them to be the team leaders. "Why am I even bothering to watch? I know the result, 100%" This was before the TASK (which the firing is meant to be based on) had even started!

Then we get the subteam slating Alice and looking baffled as she speaks to them over the phone.

Terrible editing. Try not to make it so obvious next week, please.

Comments

• Options
    .Kooky..Kooky. Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of agree. They do need to try and make it a bit more of a toss up sometimes. It must be a hard job though to sucessfully fit days worth of footage into about a 40 minute time slot which essentially has to construct a narrative on how the tasks go, who does well and who doesn't, etc.
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Well, last year they kept on referring to Harry M not having won a task... they referenced that every week, and he still never won.

Same with Helen the other way around really... she didn't lose a task until Week 10, and in the previous weeks, this was mentioned lots of times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I don't really see what you are saying? I'm fairly sure that David and Alice's comments would have been shown regardless of what the final outcome was - Being in the bottom three for three weeks running and surviving is quite unusual!
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could hardly not mention that David had lost the previous three times. However the editing during the task heavily emphasised the chaos in David's team and the smooth running efficiency in Alice's team. So as a regular viewer you had a good idea that David's team would win despite this. We had no idea that David's team's food tasted much better for example. I suppose the idea is to keep you guessing but they usually overcompensate and make the winning team look worse than they were.

If there was a completely fair edit and you knew one team had made a pigs ear of everything there you'd be no doubt at all who had won even before the boardroom. That would then be hard to watch as you'd already know the result. The team members only know how well they did, so it's important to keep the viewers in the dark about the outcome too.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The editors are always in danger of "reverse telegraphing" the final result in each task, inasmuch as (usually) the team that appears to have done best, will end up losing somehow. Remember that they don't start editing until the whole task (maybe even the whole series) has been filmed, so they know what things to emphasise in order to make the "narrative" work... one thing you can guarantee (especially in the early stages) is that anyone without much screen-time is totally safe...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    If there was a completely fair edit and you knew one team had made a pigs ear of everything there you'd be no doubt at all who had won even before the boardroom. That would then be hard to watch as you'd already know the result. The team members only know how well they did, so it's important to keep the viewers in the dark about the outcome too.

Sometimes, if a team has screwed up badly enough, it's entertaining even if it is predictable. Like Lindsay and the Secret Signals. Or Alexa and the chickens.
    one thing you can guarantee (especially in the early stages) is that anyone without much screen-time is totally safe...

I disagree with this, a lot of the time people in the early stages have been fired for not coming to the forefront. In most recent years, this appears to have been in Week 2 most of the time... Joy Stefanicki? Alex Britez Cabral? Ben Fowler? Maria O'Connor?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, last year they kept on referring to Harry M not having won a task... they referenced that every week, and he still never won.

Same with Helen the other way around really... she didn't lose a task until Week 10, and in the previous weeks, this was mentioned lots of times.

Hence why I said this:
    "we regularly see little pieces like this from candidates, but it's what follows that spoils it"
    icewizard wrote: »
    I don't really see what you are saying? I'm fairly sure that David and Alice's comments would have been shown regardless of what the final outcome was - Being in the bottom three for three weeks running and surviving is quite unusual!

Because Navdeep had also won three tasks, why not show a snippet of her saying something similar, too?

All I'm saying is it was completely obvious. They focused on two candidates (the best and worst in terms of stats) and then tried to 'shock' us with the worst winning and the best getting fired. Talk about shoving it in our faces. There was no need to edit it in that way.

It's normally fairly obvious which TEAM will win/lose (for reasons already mentioned in this thread - which is fair enough), but it's never obvious as to who will be fired. Last week it was, that's all I was pointing out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Order wrote: »
    Because Navdeep had also won three tasks, why not show a snippet of her saying something similar, too?

Maybe she just didn't say that? She does seem a little more introverted than Alice... the show might be heavily edited, but they can only edit what the candidates said in the first place.
  • Options
    radiofreeradiofree Posts: 7,316
    Forum Member
    i think precisely the opposite. my son and i often joke that that whichever team gets the better edit is usually the one to lose -- as if the producers are deliberately playing with our expectations -- certainly not telegraphing who the winner might be, if anything, the reverse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I'd say this weeks was worse, seeing as the opening montage of clips revealed the outcome of this weeks task.