GTA Online - Micro transactions confirmed

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the fuss over this at all, you don't have to buy the money with real world money if you don't want, just play the game and you'll accrue In-game cash the way you're meant to. These microtransaction purchases are just there for the lazy people who want to bypass the point of playing the game. If they're stupid enough to buy in game cash with real money then I say let them. It isn't necessary to buy anything.

And other games have been doing his for years, it's not like Rockstar just invented it, and never once while playing those other games have I "cheated" to unlock stuff.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Also, from the Rockstar post:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51422/some-more-details-on-grand-theft-auto-online.html

Reputation and Cash Flow:

Reputation is earned from all your online exploits in everything you do in GTA Online – and will help you rank up, providing access to new features, weapons and criminal contacts. Spend cash you’ve gained on cars, clothes, guns, properties and much more. You can either quickly accumulate cash through profitable activities like knocking over armored cars, winning street races, doing stick-ups or a host of other cash-making endeavors – or if you’re the completely instant gratification type, you can choose to buy denominations of GTA$. You will have the option to purchase GTA$ through the in-game Store. The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game. You don’t have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker. The economy is balanced differently from the single player economy, and cash earned in one cannot be taken over to the other. Most players will earn cash much faster Online than in Story Mode.

I really don't see the problem with this.

Your £40 has got you the main game, which itself is huge and has a tonne of things to do and makes it far better value than many other games that get finished in 10 hours or less and then traded in.

In addition to that, you also get GTA Online as a free add-on, adding even more content, even more stuff to spend countless hours on.

GTA Online itself is getting further expansions, adding more game types and enabling the game to evolve and grow.

From the apparent size of it, they probably could easily have released GTA Online as a totally separate paid game, instead of it being made available for free to everyone who has already bought GTA V.

So if some people buy in game currency so they can buy a house or gun earlier (bearing in mind the previous Rockstar comment about it being balanced for the majority who won't pay, and the Eurogamer comment about extra money not being much use until you have already levelled up anyway), then... so what?

It doesn't sound that bad but there a few key points, how quick do you earn the money and what are the prices, it says you earn it quick but that is obviously a lie because if you earned it that quick then why bother buying it? You may earn money faster in online mode than story mode but that means nothing as the prices of the items online will be different.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash they may provide "a lot" but as long as the guy or girl with most real life money has a better chance of winning they can go **** themselves.

And selling my game will affect them as its another used copy on the market which means its a sale they will lose out on. That is my way of sending them a message. So instead of me spending money on potentially good DLC (which I have no problem with, and if the multiplayer was good enough then I would have done) I'll put a preowned copy out there so they lose my potential DLC purchase and a new game sale. That seems better to me than an email that wont be read.

I have principals. Laughably I wont change them (unlike most gamers) just because a company or a game that I love (used to love) decides to do something which I am against.

I don't understand this cut off your nose to spite your face mentality.

R* will never notice if you trade in your copy. $1Billion made in 3 days.

Way to stick it to the man by trading in your lone copy....

Nobody is sure how these microtransactions will actually affect the flow of the free roam game. I am going to jump in with 5 friends and start free roaming, I don't care if people have a faster car whilst driving around the world as I plan to have fun with my friends.

R* wouldn't break the Online mode by making it play to win, they have stated that they expect most players not to buy the money packs.

Honestly seems silly for anyone to exclaim they are trading in their copy of the game because the Online is ruined without actually seeing what this means.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, why don't you wait and see instead of pre-judging it?

Try it next week, play with the rest of us, and see how things are without spending money on GTA$ microtransactions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand this cut off your nose to spite your face mentality.

R* will never notice if you trade in your copy. $1Billion made in 3 days.

Way to stick it to the man by trading in your lone copy....

Nobody is sure how these microtransactions will actually affect the flow of the free roam game. I am going to jump in with 5 friends and start free roaming, I don't care if people have a faster car whilst driving around the world as I plan to have fun with my friends.

R* wouldn't break the Online mode by making it play to win, they have stated that they expect most players not to buy the money packs.

Honestly seems silly for anyone to exclaim they are trading in their copy of the game because the Online is ruined without actually seeing what this means.

Im not talking about the free roaming part, Im talking about the competitive part. If Im (or my team is) losing the match because I don't have the mini gun or body armor or the fastest bike or whatever then that is when I will be quitting.
    Well, why don't you wait and see instead of pre-judging it?

Try it next week, play with the rest of us, and see how things are without spending money on GTA$ microtransactions.

Of course I will try the multiplayer first. Im not stupid enough to sell it on without seeing what the effects are. I despise pay to win but nobody will know how it will affect the game (not even rockstar) until its released.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    If Im (or my team is) losing the match because I don't have the mini gun or body armor or the fastest bike or whatever then that is when I will be quitting.

Sooo, do you refuse to play any MP games then if someone is a higher level than you and thus has access to more weapons?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how will you know that the opponents who beat you had the mini gun or body armour or whatever due to paying for it via micro-transactions rather than earning the money in game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Sooo, do you refuse to play any MP games then if someone is a higher level than you and thus has access to more weapons?

No not at all. Most multiplayer games offer the levelling up to unlock more. Its when items are unattainable unless you pay real world cash (not what Rockstar are doing, I know). Or when one player has an advantage because they have more money than the other person, that is when I have an issue. When I play somebody in a game I believe it should be my skill V your skill, not my skill and my wallet V you and yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how will you know that the opponents who beat you had the mini gun or body armour or whatever due to paying for it via micro-transactions rather than earning the money in game?

I don't, but if on day 1 or 2 Im being trashed every game by something I will not have for another week unless I fork out the cash or despite reaching level 50 and unlocking the XYZ I wont be able to buy it for 2 weeks and its an OP weapon/car etc
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    So you're just assuming here and actually going against what Rockstar and others have said. and thus you'll be trading you game in based on that to send a message. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I don't, but if on day 1 or 2 Im being trashed every game by something I will not have for another week unless I fork out the cash or despite reaching level 50 and unlocking the XYZ I wont be able to buy it for 2 weeks and its an OP weapon/car etc

From a gameplay perspective, how is that any different to someone having played the Online mode for a week longer than you? It'd be like me getting COD Ghosts for Christmas and then complaining that everyone is a month ahead of me in experience points:confused: You're always going to come up against people of a higher level, and i'd imagine that a lot of them will have earned it without buying these GTA$.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    So you're just assuming here and actually going against what Rockstar and others have said. and thus you'll be trading you game in based on that to send a message. :p

Were all just assuming here Ash. We are just going on the scraps they feed us, but Microtransactions are not new. Its either going to unbalance the game in favour of the richer player or its not. If it does I'm out.
    CJClarke wrote: »
    From a gameplay perspective, how is that any different to someone having played the Online mode for a week longer than you? It'd be like me getting COD Ghosts for Christmas and then complaining that everyone is a month ahead of me in experience points:confused: You're always going to come up against people of a higher level, and i'd imagine that a lot of them will have earned it without buying these GTA$.

Well first of all, nobody knows how long it will take to unlock something. the numbers I gave were just for an example. It may take longer or shorter. Secondly I will be starting from day 1 like most, and if I am being beaten on day 1 by something I wont have for a week, ill still be getting beaten at level 50 by something else I wont have. Rockstar are not stupid there has to be an incentive to actually spend real money. nobody will shell out for a gun that can be earned in day. And on the Cod example the better guns are never unlocked the higher you go, they are usually unlocked early on. Saying that they did go down the "buy this DLC for the OP gun" in BLOPS 2 and that is when I and most of my friends list packed it in so I don't know how that turned out.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And on the Cod example the better guns are never unlocked the higher you go, they are usually unlocked early on.

Yeah but things like RPGs, SCAR-H, Claymores, Flashbangs, C4... require that you level up to get them.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could I use the £13 card via single player or is it online only??? :confused:
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue is people are adverse to spending money on a game they have already purchased, especially when no mention of this was made at release. If it was DLC it would be different, but for something packaged with the original game it really gets many players backs up.

Now I don't mind micro transactions if they have no bearing on the game. If someone wants to pay wear a different t-shirt to me then more fool them, but it doesn't give them an advantage. Likewise if they want the option to customise their car further then so be it, as long as it doesn't make said car faster or shoot rockets.

The concern is people can just throw money at GTAOnline, grab the best weapons, and have an unfair advantage over the rest of the players. Many people who play games are on, or very close to the breadline. A lot are teenagers (I know they shouldn't have the game, but we all know they do) or un-employed people who saved up to get the game and asking them to put more money in just to stay competitive isn't fair.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    From a gameplay perspective, how is that any different to someone having played the Online mode for a week longer than you? It'd be like me getting COD Ghosts for Christmas and then complaining that everyone is a month ahead of me in experience points:confused:

In that example not only do the people have the weapons from been a higher level they also have the skills and experience from opening they up. Someone who buys some good weapons cannot buy the skills to back them up.

Anyway I will reserve judgement until I actually play this and see how it all works. If the micro-transaction damage my fun I will stop playing as I suspect many other will. But in experience people who buy weapons and early unlocks don't have the skills to back up their awesome arsenal and are easily defeated even with a poorer set of weapons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah but things like RPGs, SCAR-H, Claymores, Flashbangs, C4... require that you level up to get them.

I dont ever remember the SCAR being the most popular gun in any COD, it was always an SMG and unlocked early.

Well you need to remember COD guns are supposed to be balanced (though they do a shitty job at it). All guns should be in and around equal. The gun you unlock at lvl 12 should be equal to the one at 55 just stats are traded, lose power but gain rate of fire, or faster reload or less recoil. There is always a trade off. GTA on the other hand works differently, the higher tier weapon is better than the lower tier in most if not all stats, there is not trade off. The mini gun is locked near the end for a reason in GTA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont ever remember the SCAR being the most popular gun in any COD, it was always an SMG and unlocked early.

Well you need to remember COD guns are supposed to be balanced (though they do a shitty job at it). All guns should be in and around equal. The gun you unlock at lvl 12 should be equal to the one at 55 just stats are traded, lose power but gain rate of fire, or faster reload or less recoil. There is always a trade off. GTA on the other hand works differently, the higher tier weapon is better than the lower tier in most if not all stats, there is not trade off. The mini gun is locked near the end for a reason in GTA.

I disagree. The minigun and the rocket launcher are awful weapons in most GTA games. The minigun usually comes with the hinderance of having to standstill or move very slowly and the rocket launcher needs precise aiming to make sure you don't a.) blow yourself up too or b.) miss your target totally.

The most useful weapons are the assault rifles usually, followed by the SMG's/Uzi's as they have none or very little downsides with an insane rate of fire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »
    I disagree. The minigun and the rocket launcher are awful weapons in most GTA games. The minigun usually comes with the hinderance of having to standstill or move very slowly and the rocket launcher needs precise aiming to make sure you don't a.) blow yourself up too or b.) miss your target totally.

The most useful weapons are the assault rifles usually, followed by the SMG's/Uzi's as they have none or very little downsides with an insane rate of fire.

Well not in this GTA im walking and running ok slightly slower than an smg but the trade is off is more than worth it, I can unequip by tapping LB when not needed quick tap of LB and its in my hands, I move and fire with ease. I can take out a car in 2-3 seconds with the minigun, I just tried it with the second assault rifle and I emptied the whole 60 bullet clip into it and it exploded right at the end. About 7-8 seconds. A massive difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well not in this GTA im walking and running ok slightly slower than an smg but the trade is off is more than worth it, I can unequip by tapping LB when not needed quick tap of LB and its in my hands, I move and fire with ease. I can take out a car in 2-3 seconds with the minigun, I just tried it with the second assault rifle and I emptied the whole 60 bullet clip into it and it exploded right at the end. About 7-8 seconds. A massive difference.

So how does this effect doing a Heist in online for example. When is the mini gun opened up to users and how early do rich people buying it get access.

At the moment you sound angry about the game because of how you fear it will work. Why not just wait and see whether these micro transaction cause a problem or not before moaning about them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    So how does this effect doing a Heist in online for example. When is the mini gun opened up to users and how early do rich people buying it get access.

At the moment you sound angry about the game because of how you fear it will work. Why not just wait and see whether these micro transaction cause a problem or not before moaning about them.

I don't know how it will work in a heist, I don't even know if the mini gun will be in online, it may be totally different if it is. Im was just explaining to Cat that it is extremely powerful in single player.

I am going to wait though, it doesn't mean I cant air my displeasure at Microtransactions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how it will work in a heist, I don't even know if the mini gun will be in online, it may be totally different if it is. Im was just explaining to Cat that it is extremely powerful in single player.

I am going to wait though, it doesn't mean I cant air my displeasure at Microtransactions.

I didn't like the idea of people been able to buy Kit short cuts in BFBC2 to open up all equipment and weapons for a certain class, but it turned out not to make a damned bit of difference in game. Sure some level 1 players had all the weapons but they still sucked at the game (Which is probably why they bought the weapons in the first place).

I would be more worried about meeting a player who has been playing 8hours a day since launch than someone who has just started and bought a few weapons they don't know how to use.

You cannot buy skill and experience which is a lot more important than a fancy weapon IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We're talking multiplayer. You sit still in multiplayer and you're going to get your ass handed to you time and time again. Don't get me wrong, sometimes blowing cars up fast is a decent tactic in which case rockets and miniguns are fair game, but for heists and chases? Give me a weapon I can fire easily when moving any day of the week.

I agree with your sentiments on micro transactions though.