Options

Is it going REALLY dark where you are already?

Comments

• Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL day today where I live, been constant heavy rain all day. Got absolutely soaked and I only went out to get my haircut. Had to change my trousers when I got in.

Came out the hairdressers at 3:30pm and it was going dark.. Already. Street lights coming on.

Now it's 4pm and it's dusk already.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL day today where I live, been constant heavy rain all day. Got absolutely soaked and I only went out to get my haircut. Had to change my trousers when I got in.

Came out the hairdressers at 3:30pm and it was going dark.. Already. Street lights coming on.

Is this some kind of online diary of your normal day to day happenings that you expect people to be interested in?
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that i like about the long nights is that you can draw the curtains when its raining and windy outside

It is going to be a very long winter if we are destined to be pounded by weather front after weather front bringing unseasonal mild temps and flooding thanks to the jet stream.

One bit of comfort is that the nights will beginning drawing out a week on monday 21
  • Options
    TOTP_81TOTP_81 Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    We're almost upon the darkest afternoon of the year. So as we get the closer to the shortest day, the process of our rapidly diminishing daylight slows down then after that they slowly begin to get longer again first, before they get longer more quickly in February.

A week or so before the shortest day, we will have the earliest sunset, however, the mornings will continue to get darker until early January. Where I live, sunrise is currently 8:15 but by New Year's Day this will be 8:30. I noticed this last year, after Christmas I noticed the afternoons were a little lighter but I noticed how dark the mornings were.

Sunrise where I stay is 8:45 next week and will draw in by another 3 mins until the stretch out in the first week of January. By March 18th in this area it will be more daylight than dark. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/glasgow?month=3&year=2016
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really, is this the first year it's got dark at that time in December? I could have sworn it got dark at 10:00pm this time last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOTP_81 wrote: »
    Sunrise where I stay is 8:45 next week and will draw in by another 3 mins until the stretch out in the first week of January. By March 18th in this area it will be more daylight than dark. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/glasgow?month=3&year=2016

Check out the Shetland Islands: http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/uk/lerwick

Sunrise at 9am and sunset is before 3pm.
  • Options
    mebiscuitmebiscuit Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Well if anyone has an interest in this sort of thing. Research geo engineering and the answer to why people are noticing it's much darker than it used to just might be startling!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mebiscuit wrote: »
    Well if anyone has an interest in this sort of thing. Research geo engineering and the answer to why people are noticing it's much darker than it used to just might be startling!

It isn't darker then it used to be. It's exactly the same as it always has been at this time of year. This thread is nonsensical.

Breaking news: It gets darker in Winter and stays lighter longer in Summer.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    It isn't darker then it used to be. It's exactly the same as it always has been at this time of year. This thread is nonsensical.

When it's cloudy and damp, it obviously gets darker earlier than when it's blue skies and sunshine.

Where I live, it's been almost constantly cloudy over the last month, which partially explains why many people feel it's been 'darker' this year. These unusually mild temperatures for the end of November & December have brought more dissmal weather than usual.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I love it, and although we are now at the point where it will start to get lighter in the afternoons, it will take a while before it's really noticeable. I enjoy the short hours of daylight at this time of year.

If it's cloudy it will seem to get dark earlier whereas a clear sky will make it seem lighter in the afternoons. In the past few weeks, we have had some days when it has been cloudy and others when it hasn't - same as any other year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you mean this comment is nonsensical? Thread Being the whole continuum of comments. This comment has been added to this so called nonsensical thread!

Before trying to come across as rather smarmy, always choose yours words wisely so that it cannot be picked out by the person who you are trying to be smarmy too! And as you are another person that just goes LA LA LA LA LA I CANNOT HERE ANYTHING. Please do your research. I'm sure a short search on YouTube will bring you to a call made to NASA who admit to Geo engineering. And get this, Spraying Lithium into the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1eVTy0bBCg
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That kind of rain where, even if you've got an umbrella, it's still coming in at an angle and saturates your trousers ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean this comment is nonsensical? Thread Being the whole continuum of comments. This comment has been added to this so called nonsensical thread!

Before trying to come across as rather smarmy, always choose yours words wisely so that it cannot be picked out by the person who you are trying to be smarmy too! And as you are another person that just goes LA LA LA LA LA I CANNOT HERE ANYTHING. Please do your research. I'm sure a short search on YouTube will bring you to a call made to NASA who admit to Geo engineering. And get this, Spraying Lithium into the atmosphere.

You are actually a frightening person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    You are actually a frightening person.

And why would that be? May i ask you, do you know me personally? Do you have any psychological background that makes you perceive in a couple of messages that one is indeed this?

By just using loaded language to somehow "label" me, does this help your comfort zone by attacking the messenger instead of actually using that rather simple brain of yours to research Geo Engineering. Or would you rather just stay in that safe zone and put your fingers in your ears to hope it will go away.

By defining a "frightening person" this would ultimately mean one is a threat to your life yes? Now if we look at this logically, I simply replied to a thread and corrected someone for their mistake. Does this make YOU scared for Your life? if it does then I would actually reflect on who should be the one who should be scared. Someone with a certain amount of paranoia regarding individuals who one has never interacted with, only "judging" by a few words is someone I would be more scared of to be brutally honest with you!
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    It really is gloomy. Despite having an illuminated keyboard i've just had to turn the light on to see where the keyboard itself is! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is gloomy. Despite having an illuminated keyboard i've just had to turn the light on to see where the keyboard itself is! :(
    NEWS ALERT !!!!

Someone has just turned on a light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I repeat, this thread is nonsensical. It has been getting dark at exactly the same time at this point of year for my 39 years on this planet. Nothing has changed. It's crazy this thread is even up to 4 pages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I repeat, this thread is nonsensical. It has been getting dark at exactly the same time at this point of year for my 39 years on this planet. Nothing has changed. It's crazy this thread is even up to 4 pages.
    We are now getting daily updates around mid afternoon when they tell us its getting dark, and when they turn on a lamp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, you are correct, But....
    The point you are missing that I and others have told you is that we've been having really wet and gloomy weather almost every day (at least in the north west anyway) which means it always goes dark much sooner and takes longer to get properly light in the mornings. Sure, we've had a couple of clear days last week, and the light didn't start to fade till 4pm. Contrast that to a really wet gloomy day, and it gets dark at 3:30pm or earlier. Big difference.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    So I'm in north west England, it's been a miserabole wet and gloomy day, like we've had all this November non-stop. And the street lights and even the main road lights are on and it's 3:30 pm... It's just soooo gloomy.

The light starts to fade these days at 2:00pm and at 2:30 I had to put my kitchen light on today. I can hardly see around the house, it's just like, shadows.

And I'm not even that far north, I'm just north of Manchester.

If it's this dark here what's it the in Scotland, or even as far north as the Shetland Islands?

What's it like for you in the sunny south now?

It's dark here too. It gets dark every night.

I've found that the light always has this irritating tendency to fade early in the day around December time. After that, it gets lighter and lighter until June when it's light almost all the time and then it starts to get dark earlier again. Funny, that.

Being a bit further west than anybody else in the country, we do get a little more daylight in the afternoon and then the sun creeps up behind us and comes up in the east every morning. Sneaky ol' sun. Somebody once told me it's because the world goes round and round and not only does it rotate, but it also wobbles on something called an "axis" whatever that is. That would, sort of, explain things I suppose. :D:D:D

Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone with SAD are you really struggling this winter with the lack of sun? I'm really struggling this year. Its not the dark mornings or evenings its the fact that its constantly cloudy. I didn't suffer this bad last winter. Doesn't help summer was so miserable too.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good news is that at least in the south of England the sun is now setting later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The good news is that at least in the south of England the sun is now setting later.

What by a minute or two? Massive difference lol.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What by a minute or two? Massive difference lol.

Only 3 seconds tonight but it will grow, day upon day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 3 seconds tonight but it will grow, day upon day.

Yep. I am expecting balmy summer evenings by Christmas Day.