⚖ Pistorius conviction changed to murder

Comments

• MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Pistorius can't be a murder. He is disabled and won a gold medal. He was just scared there was a boogeyman in his toilet...

Where is the rolleyes smilie when you need it?
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    5 senior judges unanimously ? I think not!

On a wind up I now think. ;-)
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All it says is that they agree... it doesn't make them right.

So who decides what is right?
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is just an appeal to authority. Judges get things wrong all the time. Why do you think the verdict was changed on appeal? ;-)

Yes in this case the first judge got it wrong hence the reason for the new ruling.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    On a wind up I now think. ;-)

Should be renamed Porky Poodle ;-)
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, yes... if you don't think they're trying to rob you or worse then it would be murder.

Ok so as long as you think someone is trying to rob you you can kill them no questions asked???
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And? it proves you can kill someone if you genuinely believe you are in fear. The only reason they went with the mentally ill angle is because he shot them when they were running away.

If they were in his bathroom i doubt they would have had to argue the point to prove it was manslaughter.

I think you're trying to say that there is some mitigation if you shoot to kill in self-defence, ie you think your life is in danger. A sane man in Tony Martin's position would have no reason to believe his life was in danger - the burglars were moving away from him at speed. The appeal found that he wasn't a sane man, and therefore couldn't be held to that measure.

If the body behind the toilet door had turned out to be a black man with a gun, this doesn't alter Oscar Pistorius' guilt. If OP genuinely believed that someone might shoot him through the door, he had only to retreat a few feet round the corner. He was in a secure estate patrolled by guards, and could have had security there within the minute. By his own account of events, his life was in 'danger' only because he chose to stand where he did and not to call security as soon as he heard the noise..
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Isn't that basically a license to kill someone you've got a grievance against, but you think no-one could directly link you to? All you've got to do is persuade them to come back to your house, then blammo !
    'I've never met him before in my life your Honour. As far as I was concerned, he was an intruder. Probably armed, for all I knew. I feared for my life'.
    'Did you? Ok, five years for manslaughter, house arrest after one year'.

Shooter walks out of prison laughing his ass off.

ETA - thinking about it, it doesn't even need to be a stranger. Just because you know the victim doesn't mean you couldn't claim they were going to rob you. "Hey, he knew I kept a lot of cash around the place. I never thought he'd rob me though." It's your word against, well, a dead man's.

If you hear a noise in the middle of the night and sneak downstairs to accost the burglar and accidentally punch your wife in the face is their identity irrelevant?
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Should be renamed Porky Poodle ;-)

Yes, indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just an appeal to authority. Judges get things wrong all the time. Why do you think the verdict was changed on appeal? ;-)

Yes. They clearly do not understand the law. As long as you think someone is trying to rob you anything goes after that.
  • PorkyonePorkyone Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    The judge said there are two possible arguments of self defence. One of which, the one that could have been argued (as I understand it), Pistorius himself rejected. The other one didn't apply in light of the facts of his actions.

So, as there is no valid argument for self defence and as he fired his gun with the intention of killing someone, which he achieved, it is murder.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    I think you're trying to say that there is some mitigation if you shoot to kill in self-defence, ie you think your life is in danger. A sane man in Tony Martin;s position would have no reason to believe his life was in danger - the burglars were moving away from him at speed. The appeal found that he wasn't a sane man, and therefore couldn't be held to that measure.

If the body behind the toilet door had turned out to be a black man with a gun, this doesn't alter Oscar Pistorius' guilt. If OP genuinely believed that someone might shoot him through the door, he had only to retreat a few feet round the corner. He was in a secure estate patrolled by guards, and could have had security there within the minute. By his own account of events, his life was in 'danger' only because he chose to stand where he did and not to call security as soon as he heard the noise..

Not forgetting the fact he walked past the door of his bedroom - an escape route out of the house - on his way to the bathroom. At that point he (allegedly) thought some guy had climbed through the bathroom window and quietly hidden in the toilet, shutting the door behind them. So the intruder had retreated for the time being ... why not quietly grab your phone, head downstairs and outside, call security and the police? Of course waking up your girlfriend on the way out and taking her with you?

This seems the logical and safest thing to do in such a situation. Not go walking into the face of danger while waving a gun and shouting at the intruder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    Fixed it for you :)

You spelled believe wrong.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Yes. They clearly do not understand the law. As long as you think someone is trying to rob you anything goes after that.

I'll remember that if I ever want to off my husband "but I thought it was a robber, so I whacked him round the head with a golf club" (I don't have a husband or gold clubs but hey ho)
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you hear a noise in the middle of the night and sneak downstairs to accost the burglar and accidentally punch your wife in the face is their identity irrelevant?
    Irrelevant to whom? My wife? Most definitely. She wouldn't care that I thought she was a burglar. All she knows is I punched her face. She'd also quite rightly wonder why - considering I must have noticed she wasn't in bed - I didn't consider that it might be her or even think to check if it was her before blindly lashing out.
    Irrelevant to me? Yes. My intentions were good, but I'd have to accept that I was rash and stupid and accept any consequences. I certainly wouldn't feel smug or justified about it. When you know there are people in your house and you hear a noise, you first check it's not them. That's simple common sense, not an afterthought.

Now, do you want to address the hypothetical situation I put to you re. inviting someone into your house, killing them, then claiming they were going to rob you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well obviously they are fallible otherwise the verdict wouldn't have been changed on appeal. You can't refer to a judges verdict because you agree with it as proof they are right.

No matter how many of them there are.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lock him up and throw away the key, the original verdict was a disgrace.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so relieved that the judges saw through the insanity of the original ruling and called this what it was. Murder. It will bring Reeva's family little comfort but at least they'll have the knowledge that the man who killed their daughter/sister has a murder conviction because of it. His story always stank of bull imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Irrelevant to whom?

Irrelevant to the law. I mean, i don't even understand how this is being questioned because not only do we have different laws based on intent or perception but so do south africa so to even suggest that the identity of the victim is irrelevant seems odd to me and the only way it makes any sense is because he didn't know who was behind the door but if it had been a burglar or attempted murderer or if they had a weapon for example to say their identity is irrelevant seems odd.

If it is irrelevant then shooting a guy who has a machinegun in your bathroom is still murder.
  • Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    The same judge who fell for his charms and basically let him off, is the one who's going to sentence him.
    I'd be very surprised if it's a long sentence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll remember that if I ever want to off my husband "but I thought it was a robber, so I whacked him round the head with a golf club" (I don't have a husband or gold clubs but hey ho)

You won't even have to pretend you thought he was an intruder. He said to me ''I'm going to eat your bar of chocolate''. I thought he was going to rob me for my chocolate so I hit him over the head with the iron 10 times. Not murder I say by the ruling of right honourable dinkydoobie.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagshot85 wrote: »
    The same judge who fell for his charms and basically let him off, is the one who's going to sentence him.

Reported as minimum fifteen years, possible discretion.
  • PorkyonePorkyone Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Well obviously they are fallible otherwise the verdict wouldn't have been changed on appeal. You can't refer to a judges verdict because you agree with it as proof they are right.

No matter how many of them there are.

This is not a matter of opinion or what observers agree with, the original judge was wrong on clear points of law and this was demonstrated clearly in this morning's summing up and verdict delivery.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagshot85 wrote: »

Doesn't it HAVE to be at least 15 years?

Of course he has already served one of them.

ETA: Apparently he will probably be out in a couple of years again:

The source added that even though Pistorius is now a convicted murderer, he could still be out of prison in just three years.
    "The maximum is 15 years for unintentional murder, as he has been convicted, he can even get 10 years and eventually only serve 30 per cent, so three years."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/oscar-pistorius/12029188/Oscar-Pistorius-appeal-decision-live.html

So not too bad for him, I suppose.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irrelevant to the law. I mean, i don't even understand how this is being questioned not only do we have different laws based on intent or perception but so do south africa so to even suggest that the identity of the victim is irrelevant seems odd to me and the only way it makes any sense is because he didn't know who was behind the door but if it had been a burglar or attempted murder, if they had a weapon for example that their identity would be irrelevant.
    But in your hypothetical, the law wouldn't come into it? :confused: Whilst my wife would un-doubtedly be pissed off, I don't think she'd actually press charges for what she thinks (because I told her that's what it was) was an honest, but incredibly stupid, mistake. You've got use like for like examples if you want to draw any comparisons.

It's been fun DD, but I really think you're struggling now. Come on, I've played your game, why won't you play mine? It's very easy. :D
This discussion has been closed.