Options

Veganism

Comments

• Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could never do it, I love meat too much. There isn't a type of meat I don't like and there isn't an animal that I wouldn't eat (providing it's legal and safe to eat).

I've no problem with vegans though as long as they don't preach about it or try and push their views onto me. I generally just feel sorry for them because of all the lovely meat they're missing out on.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I make lovely vegan meals. There are so many recipes and youtube videos out there.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I'm a vegan and I only know one other vegan. Neither of us preach about food or tell other people what to eat or what not to eat. If people ask us why we are vegan we tell them honestly but otherwise we don't mention it unless it's necessary. By that I mean when we have to say to someone I can't eat that, or rather I won't eat that.

As for supermarkets, the ones near us don't appear to recognize vegans at all as presumably there aren't enough of us. Everything is either for vegetarians or is labelled gluten free.

I've had to shop around. I also want to go to London and try shopping at "Whole Foods".

Almond milk by "Rude Health" is the best. Other milks have some nasty cancer causing ingredients in them.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm too much of a foodie to be able to do a vegan or even vegetarian diet. The restrictions are just too much. I love traditional Sri Lankan beef and pork curries, I wouldn't be able to give those up and just have vegetable curries.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I could never do it, I love meat too much. There isn't a type of meat I don't like and there isn't an animal that I wouldn't eat (providing it's legal and safe to eat).

I've no problem with vegans though as long as they don't preach about it or try and push their views onto me. I generally just feel sorry for them because of all the lovely meat they're missing out on.

At least they have principals...unlike the Vegetarians who are worse and pretend that they are superior because they don't like cruelty to animals, and yet will use/wear other animal products...either they become a vegan and practice what they preach or keep their opinions to themselves.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Which of course proves nothing. The vegans I know look very healthy, which proves nothing either, but just thought I 'd throw it in!

Indeed and good on you for throwing it in! I think the OP wanted peoples thoughts/experiences of it, so yours is a very valid contribution in the context of this thread.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i tend to keep a low profile with my dislikes at barbecues and quietly take something veggie in case there`s nothing, else you get all the bizarrely offended meat eaters carry on if you mention it.

i was surprised by a meat eating fellow guest at one barbecue who had extremely thoughtfully bought some quorn fillets along for me.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went vegetarian/near vegan when I was at university many years ago - partially financial and partially due to my partner, but reverted back to a standard diet. I have never eaten cheese, milk, eggs, cream so my diet at least has been largely if not fully vegan.

About 10 years ago, I started being very conscious about what I was eating, and started cutting things out of my diet - processed meat, then red meat, then all meat, then fish.

Things I found from 20 years ago to now:

1. Food is much better labeled - no pouring over ingredient lists to see if it was OK to eat.
    2. Huge variety of food in supermarkets - it used to be vegeburgers and nut roasts - now there is usually a whole aisle dedicated to vegetarian/vegan food.
    3. Much better options when eating out - usually the only thing on the menu was a pasta bake.
    4. There is so much stuff online - recipes, diet analysers, food info.
    5. You are no longer looked at as being a bit "weird" - not for my diet anyway! Many people recognise vegetarian/vegan food can taste quite good, especially as we are more aware of Asian cuisine.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    At least they have principals...unlike the Vegetarians who are worse and pretend that they are superior because they don't like cruelty to animals, and yet will use/wear other animal products...either they become a vegan and practice what they preach or keep their opinions to themselves.

I can't ever say I've met a vegetarian who thinks of themselves as superior.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres a really annoying vegan on here who pops up now and then to preach at us. Cant remember the name
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gluten-free is a silly fad? Have you not heard of coeliac disease?

But how many who have gone gluten free and have actually been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease or an associated disease/condition?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    I doubt it. I think they were poking fun at the person complaining that there is no dedicated vegan section of the supermarket, when there is a 'faddy' gluten free one.

The fruit and veg aisles are vegan :D Then again, even vegans have days where they just want to stick something in the oven so more prominent labelling would be useful, instead of having to examine the packaging for the little vegan symbol.

As said above, I don't involve myself in what other people choose to eat or not eat, as long as they don't get too preachy about it then its all good.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    But how many who have gone gluten free and have actually been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease or an associated disease/condition?

Does it really matter though?
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has they got to do with anything? Gluten free selections are available for coeliacs and others who are intolerant or allergic to gluten, so that they won't be horribly I'll when they eat. There's nothing 'faddish' about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

the coeliac rate is about 1 in a 100, not very rare at all and the estimate is that about 75% coeliacs are still undiagnosed, unsurprisingly as the average time for dx is 13 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27339919
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    One of my colleagues is vegan, he's not insufferable and is happy to eat with us but does share the odd link by email or mention some food processing examples.

It is always so sweet to see how touched he is when the team are celebrating something, and the person who's event it is makes sure something is bought for him so he doesn't miss out.

I did upset him before when I described a lunch I had bought as "wanky" (it was so very vegan and pretentious) but once explained it wasn't a jibe at him he was ok.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has they got to do with anything? Gluten free selections are available for coeliacs and others who are intolerant or allergic to gluten, so that they won't be horribly I'll when they eat. There's nothing 'faddish' about that.

But if they haven't been properly diagnosed then they are at best making an educated guess that gluten intolerance/allergy is the cause of their problems. If they want to change their diet based on what they have heard from others or read online then that's their choice.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    The fruit and veg aisles are vegan :D

Actually that's not always the case. A lot of supermarkets coat veg in shellac or some other animal product to make it shiny, making some fruit and veg in certain supermarkets not suitable for Vegans.

Bizarre world we live in.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have thought about switching to at least a mainly vegetarian diet, but then I don't eat a lot of meat anyway. Mostly because too much meat makes me feel bloated, and also I'm a fussy meat-eater. :D

I don't eat a lot of seafood, other than cod fish fingers, as that's all I like. I like a few mild cheeses such as mozzarella and adore clotted cream. :p The one thing I'd struggle to give up more than anything (in order to become vegan) is eggs - I just love eggs and all you can make with them. Everything from baking to omelettes.

I don't see why some people are attacking lacto-ovo vegetarians on this thread: they may consume or use some animal products, but simply by eating no meat, they are helping to reduce the amount of meat consumed by the world's population. Which is a very good thing!

There is simply not enough conventional meat to go round as the global population grows and grows. It's why we're being encouraged to eat fried insects for our daily fix of animal protein. The current rate of conventional meat consumption is simply not sustainable.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Theres a really annoying vegan on here who pops up now and then to preach at us. Cant remember the name

They do tend to be very preachy.

I had a friend who used to fill facebook with bollocksy crap about how we were all murdering animals until I block him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have thought about switching to at least a mainly vegetarian diet, but then I don't eat a lot of meat anyway. Mostly because too much meat makes me feel bloated, and also I'm a fussy meat-eater. :D

I don't eat a lot of seafood, other than cod fish fingers, as that's all I like. I like a few mild cheeses such as mozzarella and adore clotted cream. :p The one thing I'd struggle to give up more than anything (in order to become vegan) is eggs - I just love eggs and all you can make with them. Everything from baking to omelettes.

I don't see why some people are attacking lacto-ovo vegetarians on this thread: they may consume or use some animal products, but simply by eating no meat, they are helping to reduce the amount of meat consumed by the world's population. Which is a very good thing!

There is simply not enough conventional meat to go round as the global population grows and grows. It's why we're being encouraged to eat fried insects for our daily fix of animal protein. The current rate of conventional meat consumption is simply not sustainable.

and we don`t all have fluffy animal reasons for not eating meat.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Actually that's not always the case. A lot of supermarkets coat veg in shellac or some other animal product to make it shiny, making some fruit and veg in certain supermarkets not suitable for Vegans.

It's all been showed in pesticides to kill the insects who might eat it - but I guess they don't count as they are not fluffy.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »

Indeed. I'm sure it really isn't necessary. I remember reading about some bottled waters being filtered through animal bones once. What the heck is that all about?
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and we don`t all have fluffy animal reasons for not eating meat.

Yes, but many vegetarians do have those 'fluffy animal reasons', and my point is that their stance is ethical.
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

You assume that all people that eat vegan/vegetarian or similar diets do so because of the animal cruelty issue. Most probably do do it for that reason but not all. My son, early 30's, is a fitness fanatic and runs marathons and ultra marathons. For the last 2 years or more he has been following a mainly vegetarian diet, although he would eat eggs (swallowed raw Yuck) and seafood but no dairy or meat. He looks at food as protein, carbs etc not as chicken or rice. However a month ago he switched to a low carb-high fat diet in readiness for running the Comrades ultra-marathon. Just when I had gotten used to knowing what to buy and cook for him its now all changed. :)