Free will might be an illusion created by our brains, scientists might have proved.

123457»

Comments

• belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Isn't that what the Turing test is though, not being able to tell a computer from a human? So that is occurring on a very superficial level.

I agree the processes are very complex and hard to break down, when we don't know what they all are.

Well I've tried to think of a choice we make that isn't for the purpose of fulfilling a goal. If there isn't one, then that means the goal came first . Every descision is made in order to fulfill a perceived need. Can we choose our needs?
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I've tried to think of a choice we make that isn't for the purpose of fulfilling a goal. If there isn't one, then that means the goal came first . Every descision is made in order to fulfill a perceived need. Can we choose our needs?

Well....there's the choice whereby you let go and just let things happen. That can't have a personal goal because if it did you'd still be exercising control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Well....there's the choice whereby you let go and just let things happen. That can't have a personal goal because if it did you'd still be exercising control.

mmmm... What would be the motive of doing that ? What would be the goal of doing that ?
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmmm... What would be the motive of doing that ? What would be the goal of doing that ?

Reality check...:D
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well....there's the choice whereby you let go ...
    Is the singing a requirement, and if so does that make it any less of a choice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reality check...:D

Exactly .... the reality of having no freewill :)
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well there are needs and goals. If we're just fulfilling a need, like eating, there's not much free will in that. If we're fulfilling a goal, like being a vegan or being on a special diet, that's not a need. There is a certain amount of latitude in setting goals. Someone could argue how much free will is in that.