Options

Being Unemployed: How Long Could You Last Before Going Insane ?

RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was unemployed for 6 weeks about 17 years ago , that was long enough, bored into dribbling inertia and sloth-like apathy.

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of 'insane' threads popping up.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have to do voluntary work or something as being unemployed is my worst nightmare. I had a month of sick a couple of years ago with a broken ankle and I was losing the plot. Not having an active body and brain is like torture for me.
  • Options
    TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than six years, I know that much.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    As long as you can cope without the money there isnt anything particularly bad about being unemployed. I certainly would not go insane. Okay it can be a bit demoralising but having too much free time is far better than having none at all which is what I currently feel like working a full time job.

Frankly I'm going insane in work.
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends. I've spent time unemployed, and some days you can succumb to insane boredom, and the lack of money can be horrible - even if you don't place much value on money, just going without food or being unable to catch up with friends in town (for a bite to eat, for example) really does stab you in the guts a bit.

But I always tried to keep my mind occupied. During my unemployment period, I learnt French to a semi-fluent standard, taught myself music, read various books, insisted on painting, writing and other creative projects, and have now found myself a little riled that I haven't the time to do all that stuff like I once did.

I do think unemployment and poverty can send you bat-shit crazy, as well as horribly dependant. It's an awful trap to find yourself in, I'm just glad I managed to get out the other side. It's incredibly easy to judge the unemployed, but it is a vicious cycle that they become horribly trapped in.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    I've never been unemployed, so I'd either get bored in no time at all, or it'd take me a while to get bored because I'd have more time to do hobbies, etc.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being with the same people for 8hrs a day, 5 days a week, doing the same thing each day, would send me mad.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    according to DS, it depends:
    is it strange to wank every day
    can I rummage through bins
    can I rummage through charity shops
    is it better than working in retail
    is it better than working in a factory
    would I have to wear a wig or would I have free will

... please get back to me ASAP with the details to apply
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not long. I was signed off long term a few years ago and I realised I do not do well without the routine a job provides me with.

I'm prone to depression and anxiety and having too much time to think never ends well. If I didn't need money, I'd work or volunteer at something 3 days and have a long weekend each week, but those three days would provide me with the routine I need otherwise I find it hard to even get out of bed :(
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only get bored when I have mundane stuff to do so I could quite easily live out the rest of my life without a job to go to.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    insane? My gun collection hobby keeps me saaaaneee!!:o:confused:
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given sufficient funds, the rest of my life. Easily. I wouldn't get bored.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the not working that would drive me insane, it's being skint that would. I'd happily never work again if I could afford not to.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm trapped in today and bored. I don't think I've ever posted so much on here as I have today. So that'll be 24 hours.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to become almost "institutionalised" to the situation in a way. If you haven't got anything particular to occupy your day, the routine becomes one of depressing familiarity where your primary goal is just to function and make it to the next day and so on.

So i think it's important to keep occupied and do something relatively constructive as often as possible and i think you'd be fine, regardless of how much you earnt or your lack of partner.
  • Options
    James_Smith18James_Smith18 Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    6 weeks is nothing imo, currently I have been unemployed for over 2 years.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With money? Never.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being with the same people for 8hrs a day, 5 days a week, doing the same thing each day, would send me mad.

you're damn right
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I'd never be bored - got way too many fields of interest to ever get to the point where I have nothing left to occupy myself. I gave up working on my 42nd birthday (nearly 10 yrs ago) and still have plenty going on to fill the days.

My last few years in employment, I worked towards being able to 'retire' as soon as I could feasibly afford to. Mainly because there simply weren't enough hours in the day for my liking - and there still aren't.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being punted around between short, unsatisfying jobs, and out of work for long phases between them, definitely damaged me mentally. I've had real trouble developing social skills as a result. If things had clicked into place sooner I'd now be less anxious, more likely to have people to rely on in tough times, I'd be further along into my career rather than constantly having to restart at the bottom rung, I'd have the confidence to have friends and maybe even a romantic life, and I'd have had reason to look after my health and not neglect myself. Even now I am in work I'm still desperately paranoid that the slightest screw-up will send me straight back to the dreaded dole queue. Hopefully my colleagues know by now they can rely on me, and once my feet are properly under the furniture I can start living like an adult man...
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you be bored? Do you not have hobbies?

There's not enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do. Work is 100% only for the money I need to live. I'd feel pretty sad about myself if I needed work to fill my time in.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are, an insane amount :p
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some of them are even about Leicester winning the Premier League!

Back to topic.......

I have had spells of unemployment. There's so many times you can alter a CV but I don't think that that makes a difference. Most job hunting is done online now. Gone are the days of just popping in a shop and asking if there's any jobs.

Dealing with the job centre is bad enough. These days they demand so much from you.

I went back in to employment last month through an agency. It feels great going back to work.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think I'm sane and I've been unemployed most of my adult life. It's difficult though. You might think getting a job would help and it is a useful distraction if you've got issues but when I was working I'd find myself getting home on Friday and staying in bed all weekend. Most jobs strike me as being repetitive, tedious dross.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only get bored when I have mundane stuff to do so I could quite easily live out the rest of my life without a job to go to.

Me too - I only work for the money. If I didn't need that I'd easily find far more interesting things to do.