Breast feeding mother suing Swimming Pool over breastfeeding

willow32willow32 Posts: 660
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/03/mum-sues-swimming-pool-claiming-staff-stopped-her-breastfeeding/

Abbie Stocker, 27, rowed with staff at the Pendle Wavelengths pool in Nelson, Lancashire, when she fed her eight-month son Eric in the water while the wave machine was on.

She reportedly declined the offer of using a chair and later decided to take legal action for £20,000 against the swimming baths. She claimed the incident had not been handled in a positive way.

“The staff member thought the baby may become upset and was only trying to help”
Speaking to the Sun, a source said a lifeguard had suggested the mother might be more comfortable sitting in a chair because the wave machine can be quite powerful.

I see nothing wrong in the Lifeguards suggestion.

Comments

• asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Why are this generation of mothers so entitled of all of a sudden?!

It's like nobody has ever had children before them and I am honestly baffled by it.
  • meadows76meadows76 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are such ***** these days. I mean seriously. Get out and have a seat while you feed ffs.
  • Catty_CateCatty_Cate Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I'm all for breastfeeding but this is shocking! Why would you breastfeed in a swimming pool? I don't want to swim in baby sick. The pool guard didn't do anything wrong, he offered her a chair at the side of the pool. Looking at her photo she looks like a proper attention seeker. You don't need to get the whole breast out when feeding like she is doing. My god she's in a family restaurant I don't want to see that when I'm eating my dinner. Go away you silly women!!!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having young kids of my own who were breastfed by my wife, I'm always all for the right of a mother to breastfeed when and where she wishes to, but this is ridiculous. She wasn't asked to stop, it was simply suggested she moved to a seat.

People like this do far more harm than good for the breastfeeding cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »

Dare I suggest she is a tiny minority?
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's like nobody has ever had children before them and I am honestly baffled by it.

I agree, some of them are like spoilt brats, demanding that right to be pampered, and throwing their toys out if they don't get their own way.

You don't need to breastfeed an 8 month old in a swimming pool, if they want a drink they can use a bottle or a baby cup, so this situation need not have happened in the first place.

Some of these women are exhibitionists, look at me I breastfeed, big deal, if they see it as natural, why make such a big fuss and expect special treatment, generations of women have been doing it for centuries, women of my generation breast fed babies without making a fuss over it, and we and our babies lived to tell the tale. We fed them before we went out, and fed them expressed milk whilst out, or for shorter outings took water or juice, or fed discreetly, there wasn't this big deal made out of it. Our babies were no different, they were introduced to a bottle from birth, and when hungry or thirsty didn't seem to care how they got their food or drink.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just surprised 8 mth old babies are allowed in the pool when a wave machine is on let alone breast feeding them
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I am all for mother's being able to feed their babies where ever they happen to be when the baby needs feeding. And I think she should be entitled to be treated with respect and have her dignity preserved while doing so; not for example, being forced into a toilet or a pokey corner.

However that doesn't mean she is entitled to turn it into some sort of performance art. I suspect some of these stories are from women who seek out relatively outlandish photo opportunities when their baby needs feeding, motivated by baiting people into saying something they can object to.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having young kids of my own who were breastfed by my wife, I'm always all for the right of a mother to breastfeed when and where she wishes to, but this is ridiculous. She wasn't asked to stop, it was simply suggested she moved to a seat.

People like this do far more harm than good for the breastfeeding cause.

Very true. I wouldn't expect the pool to allow someone to eat a cheeseburger or sandwich while swimming; the same should apply to the mother/baby.

While I appreciate that women are no longer expected to feed their baby in the toilet facility, it's absolutely OTT to think she made a reasonable request to do it in the pool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    I'm just surprised 8 mth old babies are allowed in the pool when a wave machine is on let alone breast feeding them

Well yes, good point.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catty_Cate wrote: »
    I'm all for breastfeeding but this is shocking! Why would you breastfeed in a swimming pool? I don't want to swim in baby sick. The pool guard didn't do anything wrong, he offered her a chair at the side of the pool. Looking at her photo she looks like a proper attention seeker. You don't need to get the whole breast out when feeding like she is doing. My god she's in a family restaurant I don't want to see that when I'm eating my dinner. Go away you silly women!!!

And you don't need to take multiple photos of yourself whilst doing it. Why would anyone do that?

I hope she is laughed out of court. It annoys me, more so because people have been treated far more discourteously and unprofessionally than she has and haven't gone running to the press and the solicitor's office. What on earth makes her think that her treatment (not mistreatment I might add) is worth anything like £20,000? What pain and suffering or even inconvenience has she undergone? Money-grabbing attention seeker IMO.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I am all for mother's being able to feed their babies where ever they happen to be when the baby needs feeding. And I think she should be entitled to be treated with respect and have her dignity preserved while doing so; not for example, being forced into a toilet or a pokey corner.

However that doesn't mean she is entitled to turn it into some sort of performance art. I suspect some of these stories are from women who seek out relatively outlandish photo opportunities when their baby needs feeding, motivated by baiting people into saying something they can object to.

She should take up extreme ironing if she wants a stereotypically female job that nvolves showing off. Try that in the wave machine.
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't "handled in a positive way"? How much more positive could he have been? She herself states that the lifeguard was only worried about the baby, so she sues the pool?

"I'm upset because he didn't offer me a chair in a more positive way, so I'm suing you."

WT actual F?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    She should take up extreme ironing if she wants a stereotypically female job that nvolves showing off. Try that in the wave machine.
    We can only hope someone as daft as her would mix water and electrical appliances.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know of any cases of babies being harmed because they were breast fed in swimming pools. This shouldn't be a problem. Worse things have happened in water, such as people urinating and people drowning. The penalty for complaining about people breast feeding in swimming pools ought to be death by drowning. That would stopsuch complaints.
    paralax wrote: »
    You don't need to breastfeed an 8 month old in a swimming pool, if they want a drink they can use a bottle or a baby cup,

They don't have bottles and baby cups in swimming pools. If they did they would be full of swimming pool water.
  • WillButcherWillButcher Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully she fails in her quest and is then stuck with the legal costs!

"Didn't handle it in a positive way"! What did she expect them to do? She acted like a totally selfish moron.
    Surely it would have been better for all involved for her to get out of the pool to do it, feeding in the pool can't have been a pleasant experience for the child let alone being the easiest way to do it.

I get that babies need feeding, but there are just some circumstances where it really is not appropriate to do it, being in a pool with a wave machine is one of them.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I half wish the baby had been sick in the pool. They'd had to close the place down, drain the pool etc and sued her for the loss of earnings she caused.

What a complete muppet. I'm all for breastfeeding and never understand why they're asked to cover up in restaurants etc etc but this is a sheer attention seeking exercise.

You wouldn't whip out a jar of baby dinner and a spoon in a pool with a wave machine going and expect to be able to feed your baby would you? If you did you'd be asked to leave the pool and hailed a moron. So why would anyone think it appropriate to breast feed in the pool. They're the same thing. Just for some reason this mother has a gigantic sense of self entitlement and assume she should be able to do as she pleases.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    She's being incredibly selfish and entitled, totally agree with the pool staff. They did nothing wrong by asking her to sit on one of the chairs.
  • Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    And there was me thinking there was a time and a place to feed your baby...

A relative was once told to feed her baby in the toilet.>:(
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Where's ma compenseyshunnnn.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternate headline "Attention seeking woman picks a pointless fight to get her photo in the papers"
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member

It's the same type of person that will be taking a selfie of themselves whilst feeding the baby and before the baby even has time to be winded, they've probably already uploaded the photo on to FB or Twitter or whatever else they're using these days!....

Basically they're shamelessly using their babies just for another photo opportunity for the world to look at their faces.
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I don't know of any cases of babies being harmed because they were breast fed in swimming pools. This shouldn't be a problem. Worse things have happened in water, such as people urinating and people drowning. The penalty for complaining about people breast feeding in swimming pools ought to be death by drowning. That would stopsuch complaints.

They don't have bottles and baby cups in swimming pools. If they did they would be full of swimming pool water.
    Though whilst there is a wave machine going on, then I can imagine that would not be in the babys best interests to be fed in the swimming pool
    Forum Member
    I've just clicked on to the article because I'm genuinely interested in what she's going to say if and when it does go to court!

All I've gleaned from the article is her complaint that it wasn't "handled in a positive way"....is that her only gripe?

I'd imagine she'll need a lot more than that if she is looking for compensation.

I suppose the swimming pool will give her a couple of thousand, and she'll use that for her next scam....

I would dearly love to ask her why she thinks (genuinely) that attempting to breastfeed your baby during a powerful wave machine will be good for the baby. And also why she reacted so badly to the suggestion of a chair!
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I would dearly love to ask her why she thinks (genuinely) that attempting to breastfeed your baby during a powerful wave machine will be good for the baby. And also why she reacted so badly to the suggestion of a chair!

Because she was looking to pick a fight to get some compo and a pic in the papers?