Options

'Shire' - do you say 'shuh' or 'sheer'?

124»

Comments

• Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pronounce it "sheer", as in Cambridgesheer.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like you doing chicken impressions. :D:D

:D:D:D

BTW, from Yorkshuh (for thread purposes).
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither, I say "shire".
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I live in Oxfordshire and pronounce it as Oxford-sheer

Are you shure about that. :p
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't say Chesheer surely? :o

a more important question is - is it Shrewsbury or Shrohsbury

I say Chesheer! I think I pronounce all the shires as sheers, except for the horses.

I say Shrohsbury, first syllable rhymes with "throws".

In my part of Sussex, some of the local pronunciation is really baffling. Lots of villages have names ending in "ly" and pronouncing this as "lie" rather than "lee" immediately marks you out as in incomer. And "Offham" is pronounced Oafum, you'd be drummed out of the Blacksmiths Arms for saying it any other way.

Lewes, the county town, is pronounced Lewis, not "loos", something that call centre staff just can't get there heads round if they come from anywhere beyond the neighbouring counties.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we first got the automated bus stop announcements on London buses the female voice used to say Leinster Terrace as something like "lee-in-ster terrace". After a while it was changed to "len-ster terrace" (like Leicester with an n in).

Never knew why they used the other version first.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I say Chesheer! I think I pronounce all the shires as sheers, except for the horses.

I say Shrohsbury, first syllable rhymes with "throws".

In my part of Sussex, some of the local pronunciation is really baffling. Lots of villages have names ending in "ly" and pronouncing this as "lie" rather than "lee" immediately marks you out as in incomer. And "Offham" is pronounced Oafum, you'd be drummed out of the Blacksmiths Arms for saying it any other way.

Lewes, the county town, is pronounced Lewis, not "loos", something that call centre staff just can't get there heads round if they come from anywhere beyond the neighbouring counties.

I live quite near Cholmondeston - it's pronounced Chumston :confused:

oh and Cholmondeley is Chumley

all very odd

it's like Belvoir being Beaver I should think - some upper class connotation maybe?
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I live quite near Cholmondeston - it's pronounced Chumston :confused:

oh and Cholmondeley is Chumley

all very odd

it's like Belvoir being Beaver I should think - some upper class connotation maybe?

I live quite close to the vale of Belvoir.
    When the Normans came they called it Belvoir (French for beautiful view), but us thick locals couldn't pronounce it and called it beaver instead - the name stuck.
  • Options
    PyRoMaNiAcPyRoMaNiAc Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Shire as in the horse.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    'shuh' unless I'm mimicking someone
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    I live quite close to the vale of Belvoir.
    When the Normans came they called it Belvoir (French for beautiful view), but us thick locals couldn't pronounce it and called it beaver instead - the name stuck.

it's obvious now you've said it

belle voir - beautiful 'see'?
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    I used to work with somebody who came from Bolsover. For some reason he called it "Bozer", not sure if that's an odd local pronunciation or if he was just weird.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use shire, as in hire with a "s" in front. I wonder how some would pronounce "shire horse"
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shuh cos I posh. Sheer or shyr is provincial.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I use shire, as in hire with a "s" in front. I wonder how some would pronounce "shire horse"

A shire horse is a shyr horse, and when you talk about shire counties plural it's 'shyrs'.

But the counties themselves are still Oxfordshuh, Gloucestershuh etc
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »

I should have made it clear when I made the thread - What I meant was how do you say 'shire' when pronounced at the end of a county name eg Herefordshire.

I think everyone says 'shire horse' as shy-er horse.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    you don't say Chesheer surely? :o
    I live there and it's commonly pronounced as 'shur' - Cheshur rather than 'ire'. I've never heard anyone here pronounce it as Chesheer!

How to pronounce Cheshire.

Alsager, a small town in Cheshire always causes BBC announcers a problem as they often pronounce it as Alsagger. Even this woman gets it wrong!

It's correctly pronounced as All sage r

a more important question is - is it Shrewsbury or Shrohsbury
    That's an interesting one as it does vary locally. Some pronounce it as Shroosbury while others say Shrowsbury. The latter tend to be nouveau riche types with delusions of being posh.

How to pronounce here, though she gives both options!
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'shuh' for me.

Somewhat related, I heard what I thought were very strange pronunciations for the towns of Prestatyn and Rhyl in North Wales yesterday. Was watching a promotional video for a house up for sale and they went with (something close to) Prester-tin and Rile. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/40146858?search_identifier=8ff350ff2bfadbf7217c5a66bedd4cf3&play_movie=1#fctseh5dqs5I4VuP.97 (48 seconds in)
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    'shuh' for me.

Somewhat related, I heard what I thought were very strange pronunciations for the towns of Prestatyn and Rhyl in North Wales yesterday. Was watching a promotional video for a house up for sale and they went with (something close to) Prester-tin and Rile. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/40146858?search_identifier=8ff350ff2bfadbf7217c5a66bedd4cf3&play_movie=1#fctseh5dqs5I4VuP.97 (48 seconds in)

That was dreadful! They've obviously just shipped in a voice to narrate it and they have no clue re. the pronunciation.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shure Wiltshure etc Herefordshure.
  • Options
    GrafenwalderGrafenwalder Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    That was dreadful! They've obviously just shipped in a voice to narrate it and they have no clue re. the pronunciation.
    Good job the house wasn't here. :D

and here is a mini lesson; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYiYIcMFNw
  • Options
    PyRoMaNiAcPyRoMaNiAc Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    I say it as it comes out, shuh.:cool:
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorksheh.

There are few things in life more grating than a thick 'Ull accent, durnt yer nur... :)