Options

Why does soceity not allow us to do the things we love

liam_spadeliam_spade Posts: 123
Forum Member
for example get paid to use social media or get paid to play games etc why does society expects to have boring jobs and boring lifestyle and boring life working in a job we hate till we die or retire or suffer from health problems due to the job as most if us are in jobs that are monotonous and never ending why cant we do things we love and get paid for it as society doesn't like us doing that for what ever reason

Comments

• Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we'll all die if nobody does the boring job of making food.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    liam_spade wrote: »
    for example get paid to use social media or get paid to play games etc why does society expects to have boring jobs and boring lifestyle and boring life working in a job we hate till we die or retire or suffer from health problems due to the job as most if us are in jobs that are monotonous and never ending why cant we do things we love and get paid for it as society doesn't like us doing that for what ever reason

Who exactly is this society you speak of and where does it get its funds?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 of my children do get paid to do what they love ! Tho the novelty can wear off over time.
  • Options
    MatBonoMatBono Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mate there are thousands of people doing fun jobs they like - youtube gamers and vloggers are making a good living The hard bit is getting the viewers. No one is stoppIng anyone from doing anything.
  • Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I feel your pain OP. It's taken me 65 plus years to get the man off my back.

But, now, at 65, I'm finally free. No mortgage, no wage slave, nothing holding me back.

Except, of course, the high blood pressure high cholesterol and pre diabetes.
    Iifes a bitch
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They say if you enjoy your job you never work a day in your life.

There are jobs out there that pay to do social media. One of my friends was a social media person (forget his official title) for a vet company. He basically got paid to use and update their twitter account and facebook. I'd also imagine that people that make the games get paid to play on them too - certainly is the case for Blizzard employees, who have spent months working on their latest game, Overwatch, testing it and playing it for fun (whilst being paid).

I will give you that these jobs are probably few and far between, and that they're probably recruited for internally anyway. But they are out there.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Am I to assume that you don't fancy work ?
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    When you say society, you're talking about your mum aren't you?
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Bloody society...it's the worst...
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    why won't society pay me to hit trolls over the head with a spade?...
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q - Why does soceity (sic) not allow us to do the things we love?
    A - It does, actually.

I actually lolled at this.
  • Options
    lyndeeloolyndeeloo Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were told that by the year 2000 most people would only have to work two days .. as jobs could be shared, as well as machines taking over many mundane jobs.. We would have enough money to enjoy life.

That was to be the ideal world..
    but the truth is, most people have to work till they drop and most live day to day.. will be even worse for their children and grandchildren.

Its like a pressure cooker building up now and something has got to give.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lyndeeloo wrote: »
    We were told that by the year 2000 most people would only have to work two days .. as jobs could be shared, as well as machines taking over many jobs.. We would have enough money to enjoy life.

That was to be the ideal world..
    but the truth is, most people have to work till they drop and most live day to day.. will be even worse for their children and grandchildren.

Its like a pressure cooker building up now and something has got to give.

you and liam spade should hook up...
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The search feature on thus forum is crap, but I'm very sure you asked this same question not that long ago.

Do you just use autofill when starting threads?
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Q - Why does soceity (sic) not allow us to do the things we love?
    A - It does, actually.

I actually lolled at this.

I was about to say the same, I can think of a number of jobs that involve doing either of those things all day. Several areas of journalism and marketing will have you using social media all day. Game reviewers, games testers and people who design and produce games have to play games a whole lot. You can also get paid rather well doing these jobs too. But like any job, that requires a fair bit of work.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say "allow us to" you actually mean "pay us to", right? Today was my day off, and I've done some reading, some writing, some playing video games and some getting really drunk. Society allowed me to do all these things.

Bloody society, eh. Not letting us do all the things I've just spent the day doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    When you say "allow us to" you actually mean "pay us to", right? Today was my day off, and I've done some reading, some writing, some playing video games and some getting really drunk. Society allowed me to do all these things.

Bloody society, eh. Not letting us do all the things I've just spent the day doing.

what did you read?...
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people dont work 24/7 and therefore have time outside of work to do all those things that you say society (aka your mum) wont let you do.

I have been perusing the internet since I got in from work. Im ignoring the housework. But Im allowed to do that because Im a grown up.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of people have jobs that they enjoy. Most have had to put in a lot of leg work to get where they are though.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what did you read?...

The label. *hic*
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what did you read?...

I finished "Dark Eden" by Chris Beckett and began reading "Destination Morgue" by James Ellroy. All while getting drunk. Multitasking, yo!

(Sitting in a pub and reading is one of the purest pleasures known to man. And then your mates turn up and the getting drunk stuff goes into overdrive while the reading part drops off substantially. All good, though).
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People do get paid to use social media and play games. You just have to be good enough.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you mean that your mum has threatened to withold your pocket money until 'you get off that thing' and has said 'no one's going to pay you to play games all your life' dont you?

Get on with your revision
This discussion has been closed.