Options

I'd love to know what exactly this cyclist did to deserve the shouty threat he got

bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Take a look at the video

I know cyclists and motorists sometimes annoy each other, often with good reason on both sides, but this, for me, takes the biscuit. I've literally no idea what the cyclist did to merit such a maniacal response. Maybe someone else has.

This kind of stuff really worries me, as it could so easily tip over into extreme violence with one side or the other getting killed. Apparently this wasn't even the driver, it was the passenger.

I personally would never bandy words with a cyclist. I might utter "idiot" under my breath, but I'd never stop and engage with them. What would be the point? By the time you get to that stage, the incident is already over.

Comments

• Options
    Duke-of-URLDuke-of-URL Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Ha ha that's an old video. I love that "geezer" bloke who struts back down the road with his chest puffed out and his crap flat cap. Cyclist should have knocked that little pr*** out.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that Andy Capp?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ride a bike?
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good question. I'd like to see the video leading up to the incident.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, how I wish the cyclist was Ronnie Pickering.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    There's a good chance that the cyclist was simply there. Some drivers wrongly think they own the roads, and if there's a cyclist on them that [said] drivers can't safely pass, that cyclist is going to get abuse - just for being on the road.

Nowt anyone can do about it. Some drivers are delusional in that sense. They have no more right of way on the road than cyclists do (and no, cyclists don't pay road tax, but drivers don't either anymore - they/you pay vehicle tax for your emissions).
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Good question. I'd like to see the video leading up to the incident.
    Seems to me that most of the video is leading up to the incident as that only happens at the end, we see a lot of the cyclist just going about his business travelling along the road. How much more do you want to see - him leaving his house?
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Seems to me that most of the video is leading up to the incident as that only happens at the end, we see a lot of the cyclist just going about his business travelling along the road. How much more do you want to see - him leaving his house?

Day of conception, that's the man that hit his mother on his 7th birthday
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    Ronnie Pickering.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie Pickering.

Arguably this Andy Capp character was worse than Ronnie Pickering. Much more out of control.

I think Pickering was just trying to put the frighteners on, and would not have hit the motor cyclist, unless the motor cyclist had hit him, or physically challenged him, which was never going to happen..
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows what the cyclist has done.

The driver probably thinks the cyclist "held him up" or some other nonsense.

I commit the mortal sin of riding a bike to work.

The other day I was coming up to a junction with two lanes - one on the left - left turn only - one on the right - straight over.

I was going straight over so put my arm out to indicate I was moving into that lane (the traffic lights ahead were on red).

There was a white car behind me and I couldn't really tell if she was letting me go or not - so I looked back again indicated again and she still didn't really do anything to let me know but she hadn't moved forward much so I risked it and went in front of her and waited my turn at the lights in between her and another car.

Just as the lights turned from red I gave a quick glance behind me to check what was there and then started to peddle off.

I was suprised to hear bibbing behind me and shouting but I carried on as it's a tricky junction - the white car then overtook me on the junction with the woman absolutely screaming her head off at me.

I hadn't got a clue what her problem was so I indicated that she should pull over and perhaps explain?

She pulled in front of me, bibbed, shouted something again and then drove off.

Of course two seconds later I caught up with her in traffic. Her windows were open and I asked her "what's the problem".

She then proceeded to launch into a tirade about how she "let me go" back there - I said "yes, you did - thank you very much" and she said so "WHY DID YOU TURN AROUND AND LOOK AT ME"?

After a bit more of her ranting I clicked that her screams and anger were becuase I had turned around and checked behind me as I was pulling off at the lights. That was enough to set her off - she felt that I was looking at her wrong or something I suppose.

I told her I thought she needed to calm down and cycled off.

There is a huge amount of anger on the roads. I think it is because people are delayed all the time and they are then looking for someone to blame - cyclists are an easy target! :(
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

I, and no doubt the police if it was reported to them, would like to see at least a couple of minutes prior to the incident to see if there was any prior interaction between the parties involved.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinie wrote: »
    Who knows what the cyclist has done.

The driver probably thinks the cyclist "held him up" or some other nonsense.

I commit the mortal sin of riding a bike to work.

The other day I was coming up to a junction with two lanes - one on the left - left turn only - one on the right - straight over.

I was going straight over so put my arm out to indicate I was moving into that lane (the traffic lights ahead were on red).

There was a white car behind me and I couldn't really tell if she was letting me go or not - so I looked back again indicated again and she still didn't really do anything to let me know but she hadn't moved forward much so I risked it and went in front of her and waited my turn at the lights in between her and another car.

Just as the lights turned from red I gave a quick glance behind me to check what was there and then started to peddle off.

I was suprised to hear bibbing behind me and shouting but I carried on as it's a tricky junction - the white car then overtook me on the junction with the woman absolutely screaming her head off at me.

I hadn't got a clue what her problem was so I indicated that she should pull over and perhaps explain?

She pulled in front of me, bibbed, shouted something again and then drove off.

Of course two seconds later I caught up with her in traffic. Her windows were open and I asked her "what's the problem".

She then proceeded to launch into a tirade about how she "let me go" back there - I said "yes, you did - thank you very much" and she said so "WHY DID YOU TURN AROUND AND LOOK AT ME"?

After a bit more of her ranting I clicked that her screams and anger were becuase I had turned around and checked behind me as I was pulling off at the lights. That was enough to set her off - she felt that I was looking at her wrong or something I suppose.

I told her I thought she needed to calm down and cycled off.

There is a huge amount of anger on the roads. I think it is because people are delayed all the time and they are then looking for someone to blame - cyclists are an easy target! :(

You utter, utter bastard. How DARE you look at a car driver!!! That's rule #1 in the cyclist handbook - avoid eye contact with drivers of superior vehicles. Hanging's too good for you etc etc :D:D
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Window open? Pull the keys and throw them in a field. Wouldn't have been able to resist it.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    I’d like to know what he actually said. Apart from the odd profanity I didn’t understand a word of it;

…anyone able to translate from ‘Psycho Geezer’ into English? :confused:
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    I’d like to know what he actually said. Apart from the odd profanity I didn’t understand a word of it;

…anyone able to translate from ‘Psycho Geezer’ into English? :confused:

Something along the lines of "I'll floor you like a bitch", which begs the question, is he referring to female dogs in that they walk on all fours on the floor? Is he going to put a leash on him and give him doggy treats? Sounds pretty kinky to me, maybe it's his mating season.